shape
carat
color
clarity

J. Crew pearls? Buying my first pearl necklace

greyhouse

Rough_Rock
I like multistrand pearls. The J crew ones are 99 euros, sweet water pearls, no more description.

Finland is expensive and buying stuff abroad I need pay 24% VAT. So for me 99 euros, free shipping and no extra taxes sound okay. But it's an online store, so I can't check them out in person?

What do you think?

jc451e00a-a11_6.jpg

jc451e00a-a11_8.jpg

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
J. Crew is a mid-price clothing retailer. Pretty good quality. But I never knew they sold anything but costume jewelry!

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
They do have a separate "fine jewelry " section with a few simple gold pieces. They don't consider sweet water or freshwater pearls to be fine jewelry. I think that if you like the way they look and the price, you can expect to get something like what you see in the catalogue. Just don't expect fine jewelry.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
The ones I see like that in my online catalogue are labeled acrylic and cost Much less.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
greyhouse|1489519247|4140234 said:
I like multistrand pearls. The J crew ones are 99 euros, sweet water pearls, no more description.

Finland is expensive and buying stuff abroad I need pay 24% VAT. So for me 99 euros, free shipping and no extra taxes sound okay. But it's an online store, so I can't check them out in person?

What do you think?

The pearls you show are faux. No where do they indicate they are freshwater. Info from their site.

SIZE & FIT
Length: 21".
PRODUCT DETAILS
We strung graduated rows of hand-wrapped pearls slightly askew to create that perfectly imperfect look.

Acrylic and glass pearls, brass.
14k gold plating.
Import.
Item 22599.

greyhouse

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the feedback.

I think I'm going to buy something simple but great quality in stead. Maybe start out with a single strand of small white pearls for work and see if I like pearls on me or if just admire them on other people.

Any recommedations for an online store outside the US? Any successes on eBay?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Why not just look for them in your own country in a Jewelry store? I know a retail seller in Germany and a couple in Australia but if you have to pay a vat tax it may be cheaper to buy at home.

greyhouse

Rough_Rock
Finland is part of the EU so no VAT from Germany! I'd love to know which retailer.

Pearls don't seem to be that popular here. I looked through four local chain jewelry stores and found one pearl necklace. It was 249 euros for a short single strand necklace, small pearl size, silver lock. Freshwater pearls, no other info.

There are nicer jewelry stores here that sell luxury brands, but the prices are more than I could afford.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Ok. I will ask him the name of his store. I will send you a link when I get a reply.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I contacted a friend who knows him to get the information faster. Raik Werner, is his name, this is his website. https://www.edelkontor.de/... He comes highly recommended and sells quality pearls. If you don't find something there I can find another vendor in France I also met.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You would not have to pay any more tax or duty if you buy from a seller in any of the 28 (still) member states of the EU. Plus you will be protected by all the power of EU consumer law on selling over the internet - no quibble returns with full refunds for example.
It is only when buying from a non-EU country that you will have to pay duty and VAT as you are then importing something into the EU

greyhouse

Rough_Rock
I just want to thank you for being so incredibly helpful to a total stranger

greyhouse

Rough_Rock
NacreLover, could you give me the name of the French retailer also?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Sure, I will have to ask my friend because I am not sure what their store name is. Be back soon with the info.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results