shape
carat
color
clarity

J colored stones: Pros and Cons?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Hubby and I are looking to upgrade to a larger stone. I''ve got a lovely two-toned setting chosen that is ~7mm wide, so I''m looking for a stone >7mm diameter. I''ve been seriously looking at a couple of ideal Js with great HCA and brilliantscope data.

I''d like opinions from this crowd, whose knowledge I''ve grown to respect. Would you or wouldn''t you go J, and why?

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
I luv Is/Js - they're my fav w my skin tone - the icy colors just dont look right on me.

I have a J princess e-ring & recently bought a 7-ish mm ideal RB for my right hand.

To my eyes, Js looks white but not icy, if that makes sense.

If I were you, I'd go to a reputable store that sells top-quality cuts & ask to compare dif colors & see which appeals to you the most
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
read.gif
J colored stones: Pros and Cons?...

PRO:
- whoever made up those color grades had seen too many diamonds
- there are a bunch of Js and at least one K color in "show me the ring"

CONS:
- you may have the impression that "J" is not good enough before seeing those diamonds lined up.

Hope this makes sense
2.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
My gut is telling me just what you did, valeria. Color bias! And alexah, you've pointed out a problem I'm having. In order to validate my decision to go J, I've had a hard time finding well cut Js to look at in person. It may take having a couple sent to a local appraiser to get a good idea. Thanks for the responses, and KEEP 'EM COMING!!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Letters of the alphabet mean little compared to looking at diamonds. Do not let a letter alone dictate or limit your choices. Sure, you want to be told the correct letter when you are buying, but LOOKS are what diamonds are all about. That is where human taste and perception interact with fashion and design. We don't all like the same things and that includes diamonds.

The letters which define diamond color grading have done a lot to encourage shoppers to be better informed. They have also discouraged people from buying some very good looking stones. J is not a poor color or a problem. The effect of your own skin tones, your clothing choices, the room lighting, and the mounting color all will have a great deal of influence on what the eyes will see.

Buster_DL

Rough_Rock
I bought an ideal J from Superbcert and couldn't be happier. I too was a bit concerned that a J could be farther down the color scale than I wanted, but once I got the diamond I couldn't have been happier! I was able to get a bigger stone for less money because I opted for a J. My fiance loves it, and we can't see a hint of yellow in the stone. I'd definatly recommend an ideal J.

Buster

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
I recently had a 1.74ct H ideal RB & my 1.279 J ideal RB in my possession.

I turn them upside down on a white folded business card (this is the way you should look at the stones to judge color - look at the girdle). I asked four people if they could see the color dif & none of us could...

I was told my J is a "high" J - that it would have been graded an I by some other labs... maybe the H was a low H - but it's amazing how similar they looked.

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
I WUV J colored diamonds..... They are my personal favorites.
love.gif

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Go for it!
1.gif
I have seen some beautiful J color diamonds here on pricescope. My diamond is an I color and it's gorgeous! If you don't like it send it back. Try Whiteflash.com, Blue Nile.com, Superbcert.com, and others. There are many people who have even set the diamond in platinum.

JC8811

Rough_Rock
do j colored stones absorb light more than the "whiter" diamonds? in sunlight, would a 'j' versus a 'g' look better or different? i ask only because i heard that diamonds lower on the scale don't release as much light as a higher quality stone and look less brilliant. someone help me please!!!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If a diamond contained 100% pure carbon in a perfectly uniform isometric arrangement, then it would be absolutely colorless. But when nitrogen atoms replace some of the carbon atoms in a diamond crystal (as few as 100 out of every million), it begins to absorb violet and blue light of the spectrum, which means we see the stone as light yellow.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
My original e-ring stone is a K/L. It was originally set in a yellow gold ring and head, and I never saw it's color. Now it is set in white gold as a pendant, and the color is obvious, but not a negative in this particular setting. It's a beautiful stone, so the color just gives it personality in my opinion. But that's what it's all about. You really need to think about how you are going to set the stone, and then look at some stones and decide what you like. My guess is that J will be fine, depending on your color bias and preferences. I now have an E, and love the icy look. It's a specific look, and very different from the warmer look of the K/L.

If you can't find any locally, I think it is probably worth having one or more sent to an appraiser. Also, use the jeweler as your eyes as you sort through your choices. They have lots of experience at this and can talk you through what they see in various stones over the phone.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 10/3/2004 8:22:48 PM jencho wrote:

i ask only because i heard that diamonds lower on the scale don't release as much light as a higher quality stone and look less brilliant. ----------------

Can you tell us just where this bit comes from ? Tt's way weird!
eek.gif

Another bit (with at least one study backing it up - it is posted by Adamas gemlab, not a seller - and a couple posts by professionals here ) says that, proportinally, the distance between D and E is one inch while that between J and K is ten steps! Definitely not the same thing. K and L are quite visibly apart as well and the differences only increase down the color scale.

So, J is white. And those color grades must be seen in person if anything should, IMO
read.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results