shape
carat
color
clarity

J colored Diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JC8811

Rough_Rock
I am thinking of buying a j-colored 2ct diamond for an engagement ring. i plan on setting it in platinum with matching color diamonds, probably about 50 points each. will the j look as briliant in sunlight, in natural lighting, in an office setting, etc. or because of the faint yellow color, will much light be absorbed and not refract out? any help would be appreciated!!!

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
One thing to keep in mind is that not all J's are the same. Some are much closer to an I, some should have been graded K for sure. The other factor is that they are not all yellow in tint, some are brown, some grey etc. Yellow will look the worst against plat. Many stones if cut well, or have a little flourescence in them will show whiter face up. I would not concentrate on exact color as much as I would buy the most fantastic looking diamond you can afford.

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Hi jencho:

Welcome to the forum. Some well cut "J" colored diamonds face up white and look just fine set in platinum. Do you have the specs of the center stone you are considering so that we give you advice based on fact?

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I seriously doubt you will call the J grade "faint yellow" once you have seen a couple. It may happen "faint yellow" would be way below J for most people, including whoever made up the names for GIA grades
2.gif

Color starts getting in the way of brilliance only in very intensly colored diamonds (browns, "fancy dark"). The grades below "near colorless" are out of this question, only such stones are rarely cut to be as brilliant as possible given their relative bargain status.

You seem to be after a finely cut one, J or no J
1.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I have seen several very well-cut Js and they face up beautifully, certainly as white as a G or H would, IMO.

In certain lighting conditions, I did notice a warmth through the pavillion. But , hardly anybody would see this, unless it was set supremely high and again, in the right lighting.

As with any variance in diamonds, you must try to see examples in person to know for yourself.
1.gif

JC8811

Rough_Rock
the diamond i am considering has the following specs:

2.01 J
VS2
Med Blue Fluor
7.80x7.85x4.92

depth 62.9
table 57
symmetry - good
polish - good

does this sound ok? will the diamond "sparkle" in such a way that i will always be looking at my hand?

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
The med blue flour is a big plus--it will "whiten" up the dimaond a bit. Nice clarity as well. The depth seems a tad deep but we need more information (crown/pavillion %s & angles) to know how well it is cut.
1.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 10/3/2004 8:35:29 PM jencho wrote:

I am thinking of buying a j-colored 2ct diamond for an engagement ring. i plan on setting it in platinum with matching color diamonds, probably about 50 points each. will the j look as briliant in sunlight, in natural lighting, in an office setting, etc. or because of the faint yellow color, will much light be absorbed and not refract out? any help would be appreciated!!!----------------

Jencho,

Welcome to pricescope.

J color will have no affect on the brilliance in sunlight or any other lighting condition. This mostly comes from the cut although it is possible for clarity to become a distraction. VS2 will be no problem. I personally like the look of the medium color grades with fluorescence because it adds a warmth to the stone that the D-E-F stones don't seem to have. The lower prices is just a bonus
1.gif
You should beware that stones are often sold as J color that are, in practice much lower. Jeweler see more G-H-I stones and it's sometimes difficult to tell the difference between a J and an L. Make sure you get independent verification of the grading.

You don't have enough information to give a guess at the cut grading. Ask the dealer if he can get a 'sarin' report and then enter the data into the cut adviser on the link at the top of the page.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results