shape
carat
color
clarity

J color

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Idealistic

Shiny_Rock
For those who own J colored stones, are you happy with the color? I''ve read many posts here that makes me feel safe about buying a J color stones. Many of voiced that they their J stone faces up pretty white. If you were to do it again, would you buy another J color stone?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Yes, and yes, definitely.
If you do a search I''m sure you will find many hours of reading pleasure
2.gif
on this very topic!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
I would if it was guaranteed to be cut well. And if I knew who I bought it from had an excellent immediate return as well as future upgrade policy. My first J was not cut well and the color bothered me more and more as time went on and I eventually traded it away.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2007 8:08:45 PM
Author: justjulia
I would if it was guaranteed to be cut well. And if I knew who I bought it from had an excellent immediate return as well as future upgrade policy. My first J was not cut well and the color bothered me more and more as time went on and I eventually traded it away.
Oh, yeah, good point -- that''s a definite ditto!
I guess I should also add that I mean a J colored stone graded by a reputable lab! Whoa, THAT could make a HUGE difference. I saw some (allegedly!) J colored stones in the mall graded by some lab I have still never heard of, and those poor sad stones were pee yellow.
14.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2007 5:41:51 PM
Author:Idealistic
For those who own J colored stones, are you happy with the color? I''ve read many posts here that makes me feel safe about buying a J color stones. Many of voiced that they their J stone faces up pretty white. If you were to do it again, would you buy another J color stone?
Yes and no. I would buy THIS J colored stone again, and if I were to only have one diamond I would want it to be an antique cushion cut like the one I have in the warm hue that I have. I would do what I did again. BUT if I were to get a SECOND diamond I would go the other direction and get a D str blue.

My best advice is DON''T buy a J if you think you''re going to get a D for a discount or you think you''re going to fool anyone into thinking you have the whitest diamond out there. DO buy a J if you LIKE the color of a J and enjoy having that *slight* color to it. It is very slight but it is there. In an ideal round brilliant you can hide the color more than I can in an antique cushion cut, but realistically - a J is what it is and you either love it or don''t - go look at some.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes :) if you can find one with med blue or strong blue fluor it might make it even more electric!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
it''s like the difference between refrigerator white and an antique ecru wedding dress.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
In a well cut round brilliant you bet!
In an asscher or EC... NO ... it isnt white enough yet isn't tinted enough for me,,,
Which is wierd I love large H+ asschers/EC and love a few LMNO asschers Iv seen but don't like the ones in between much.
oec while id like like more tint or whiter id consider it if it was otherwise kicken.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2007 10:01:36 PM
Author: strmrdr
In a well cut round brilliant you bet!
In an asscher or EC... NO ... it isnt white enough yet isn''t tinted enough for me,,,
Which is wierd I love large H+ asschers/EC and love a few LMNO asschers Iv seen but don''t like the ones in between much.
oec while id like like more tint or whiter id consider it if it was otherwise kicken.
I totally know what you mean here - I kinda wish my stone was an L or M. In fact I really do wish it was but I love my stone so I''ve accepted it as is.

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
I love love love my J. But I love it as a stepping stone toward a bigger and better stone. However, I wouldn''t go that much higher in color. I think I''d look for an H in a upgrade stone. I can see the color in the J only if the light is right, and its not bothersome to me at all. I''d just go for a higher color if I were getting a big ol'' 3ct since the color would show more. Personally, too white stones make me think "CZ". But thats just me.

Stellablue687

Rough_Rock
I would definately get a J again - in fact, I'm planning on it. I rarely see any color tint - only under certain lighting (like the lighting at Papyrus, yuck). 99% of the time I see no color. I gladly trade color for size!

I would only go for J color in an ideal cut round. I would also, personally, not put it next to any stones over .05c as when I do it does show contrast (not yellow, just that warmness). For instance, I have an anniversary band of 2 rows of 10 pointers G/H color - when I put my J solitare next to it I do see that hint of color. That's just me though - I know plenty of others on here have J center stones with other color side stones.

Last - given any amount of $, my ideal color for stone would be G. And I would not go lower than J - this is my limit of color.

Hope this helps!

sweetgeorgia

Rough_Rock
First off i''m brand new, so hi to everyone! I wanted to respond since I''m currently in the process of upgrading my J color emerald cut. I have to say the color bothers me a little bit. I think it would have been fine in a round stone, but I''m not loving it with the EC. The color is especially bothersome when I look at the stone from the side. That being said, It was my engagement ring and i won''t get rid of the stone for anything. I''m upgrading to a 2 ct H VS1 for my engagement ring (actually it''s my 10 year anniversary/engagement upgrade), and I hope to put the 1 ct J VS1 in an antique setting to use as a RHR. Best of luck with your decision.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welcome georgia
35.gif

And please post pics of your new ring when you get it!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2007 8:05:03 AM
Author: sweetgeorgia
First off i''m brand new, so hi to everyone! I wanted to respond since I''m currently in the process of upgrading my J color emerald cut. I have to say the color bothers me a little bit. I think it would have been fine in a round stone, but I''m not loving it with the EC. The color is especially bothersome when I look at the stone from the side. That being said, It was my engagement ring and i won''t get rid of the stone for anything. I''m upgrading to a 2 ct H VS1 for my engagement ring (actually it''s my 10 year anniversary/engagement upgrade), and I hope to put the 1 ct J VS1 in an antique setting to use as a RHR. Best of luck with your decision.
oh yeah!! See... I agree with those who say you cannot go below a G or H for emerald cut, asscher, and antique cushion BUT I also think that all 3 of those lend themselves to very antique looks and when you embrace the antique look the warmer colors really *make* the stone and the ring. I think if you put your J in an antique setting it will look *perfect*

JBunnie

Rough_Rock
I have a J color stone, and the only reason it bothers me is because the jeweler sold it to us as an H color stone. The color is very faint and barely noticeable though. And it''s set in white gold, so one would assume that the color would be more noticeable, but it''s not at all. I would get this color again.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/18/2007 8:05:03 AM
Author: sweetgeorgia
Welcome. Please post your EC we''d love to see it. There is the "Show Me the Ring" SMTR forum where it can be posted in it''s own thread. It also would be great if you could post it in the thread about J colored stones.

Sounds like your J will look smashing in an antique setting.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 1.01 princess cut is a I color, I do not see any tint at all...

Unearthed

Shiny_Rock
J is where I started to see any color...not that it was good or bad. To me an H was the best "Value" pick. Best to see these color grades before purchasing imo.

sweetgeorgia

Rough_Rock
Here''s a pic of my J VS1 emerald cut. I''m sure I''ll be starting a thread soon asking for advice on a new setting. We''re off to NYC tomorrow to look at a couple of e ring upgrade options. Thanks for the warm welcome!

P1012777.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results