shape
carat
color
clarity

J Color Stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 5:58:55 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
That looks more like a radiant than a cushion to me. Or some kind of square brilliant cut. But not a cushion as we think of cushions here.

Really? I think it looks like a fairly standard square cushion brilliant to me. It's just more of a modern cut than an antique cut. I think that's why it's misleading to say there are only 2 types of cushions, because they all can look so so different on paper even if they are technically the same "type".

Rickybobby

Rough_Rock
7.33-7.17-4.96
1.02 ratio
Depth 69.2 %
Table 67 %

no flourescne.
symmetry good
polish: VG
Cutllet: none

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, here is a cushion brilliant that is not the old, chunky kind, but it has more pleasing proportions to me for a more modern cut. Perhaps this one (the J stone posted) just has too large a table and too small a crown. But it is totally up to individual taste.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4065/

Rickybobby

Rough_Rock
I think someone could write their thesis on cushions! there''s so much to learn...

thanks for the info. I think she''ll like this one.

I was just nervous about the J color, but so far so good - and I''m glad to get everyone''s feedback. Let''s hope it looks good in person....

Rickybobby

Rough_Rock
anyone else have thoughts?

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 6:14:04 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Here is a chunkier kind that I prefer (like CR''s ring), and it also has a smaller table:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5415/
That one is insanely beautiful, diamondseeker - I love the diamonds you choose - LOVE them!

Rickybobby - Will Farrell is my hero; love your screen name. It looks like a 4 pavilion main cushion brilliant and does seem to face up pretty white. I think it''s a little more square than many of us would choose, but it looks like a pretty stone if that''s what you''re after. This one from Good Old Gold has a similar facet pattern to the one you posted (only it''s an F/VS1 - but same style, I think): http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5301/

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its really pretty! Is it already set in a ring?

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
The J color and clarity looks fine to me, even the semi-chunky facets. BUT there''s something about the proportions that make you think whether the stone is playing tricks on your eyes.. and makes others wonder if they''re looking at a radiant or a cushion. It certainly looks like a cushion brilliant to me but I find the shape less ''pillowy'' than I''d prefer. I think the gem-cutter was going for the 2 carat weight and had to sacrifice some aesthetics doing it..

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
AS has been pointed out, there are literally hundreds of different types of cushions out there.
GIA does not really have consistency in this regard.
I''ve seen such stones called "Round Cornered Square ( or rectangular) Modified Brilliant"- as well as "Cushion Brilliant"
The one in the picture looks very nice to me!

DaCounselor

Rough_Rock
I think the stone is pretty. I''ll admit that I am a big fan of the more antique look, which would include a much smaller table than this one appears to have. I also prefer 8 pav mains as opposed to the 4 that we see here. Nevertheless, I can appreciate this one. I would say that I would be surprised if a GIA J looks like an H. Maybe face-up, but once you get into tilt-angles and side-shots there should be a noticeable warmth in the J over the H, as with an H to an F, etc...

As for table sizes there is no substitute for comparing big tables to smaller tables and seeing what you like better. The big ones will typically give off that sheet of glass look on some angles much more so that the smaller tables stones. Again a matter of preference.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 7:18:10 PM
Author: Rickybobby
anyone else have thoughts?
Ricky, color isn''t about quality; it''s about rarity. (And the same is true for clarity, too.)

A diamond''s color doesn''t make it better or worse quality; it only impact rarity.

You mentioned that the diamond appears the same as an H in pictures, so I''ll also caution that pictures aren''t a great way to determine how a stone''s body color appears in person. The camera just sees differently than the human eye does.

There''s no reason to avoid lower color stones (whether RB or fancies); the key is to see the stone in person and decide if you like the appearance of the stone. If you do, then color only matters relative to determining a fair price.

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
I think it''s a gorgeous stone and looks pretty white in the picture (but you have to see it in person to really know). It doesn''t have the ''traditional'' cushion pillow shape but definately does NOT look like a crushed ice radiant (or modified cushion for that matter). Looks like the Cushion Brilliants with the 4 pavillion main like mine. If you like the way it looks go for it! :)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You asked about colour? There are several comments I would make.

1. Some people are more colour sensitive than others. So to some they will see a hint of yellow in a J and others won''t. I do see a very slight tint of yellow in the photo you posted BUT that could well be the photograph.
2. I own an I colour and it''s white white white - however, it does have strong blue fluor which probably accounts for that. If I look at it straight on, the diamond is white but if I look at it from the side there is a warmer colour apparent.
3. Do you have the opportunity to see this in person and/or can you return it if it''s not how you imagined? If yes, I would definitely get it for a look.

In terms of cut, I think it''s an unusual looking stone - enough to get the PS''ers discussing it and that''s never a bad thing!

Please post an update and let us know what you decide to do (with more pictures if you get it please)!

Rickybobby

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the helpful input so far...very appreciative.

I''ve received the stone set. It looks great. As some of you have indicated, it looks white from the direct view, but has some warmth when looked at from an angle. Under good lighting, and especially sunlight, it looks wonderful. I''m a bit concerned that in the lower lights and from angles that it will have too much warmth though....I think I could get an H color with a small sacrifice in carat weight for near the same price. Either way, I have a 30 day return policy, so I shoudl be ok. I''ll post pics soon.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results