shape
carat
color
clarity

J color diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pajj

Rough_Rock
I''ve read that if you get a round J color diamond, that has an Ideal/AGS0 cut, that it will look fine in a setting. The engagement band will be yellow gold (her preference). It appears that you can get more for your money going with a J color stone. Is there a noticeable difference between an I or H color diamond and a Ideal/AGS0 cut J diamond?

Thanks!

John

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
I have an I color and one of my co-workers has an H color and there is no difference what so ever. I think color is not that important as long as you stay in the near colorless range, H-J. Cut is the most important thing. Go to Eye Candy in Show Me Your Ring and you will see that there are many H, I, and J color diamonds that look absolutely beautiful. Also If you need to see for yourself go to a jewelry store that will show you loose diamonds in the same size of a high quality cut and in colors H-J and see if you can see the difference.

I asked the same question here are on pricescope and I am very happy with my chose. I would suggest that you make sure that the prongs are platinum or white gold it makes a big difference because my ring a .71 round solitaire with platinum prongs and set in 18k gold and when I compare it to the diamond pendant that is I color and set in yellow 18 completely I can see the slight warmth when compared side by side. Hope this helps.
1.gif

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
Definitely look into J color.

Read the Diamond book posting titled What makes a diamond eye-catching or beautiful. Color is not a key factor

My J is an AGS0 H&A with an HCA of 1.4. It looks great without color from the top and looks fine in it's plat setting.

Some J's are probably slightly colored so you need to be selective and see the stone at an independent appriaser before buying.

I used White flash and had Brian compare several stones of different color but excellent cut. He helped me chose a J over a nice H. I was nervous until I saw it in person

Zeppelin

Rough_Rock
It's interesting to note that Tiffany's color cut-off is I. There are a lot of people on Pricescope, though, that say a J in a white gold or platinum setting with great cut is a great bargain. K's are seldom talked about; so it seems like I or J is probably as far as you want to stretch. There seem to be a lot more H's and J's out there than I's, though. Might have to look longer.

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi John,

Look at as many as you can, you will find some very white looking stones in well cut J's, But, they do vary.

Also, be sure to look at some of the above with blue flourescense (faint-strong)

I have always felt that the combo of I-J-K colors with bl. fl. represent an incredible value range in diamonds for consumers.

zoobiedo

Shiny_Rock
I have a J color 1.23 marquise and it shows no color at all. Don't hesitate to look at J's -- they are a fabulous value. Before finding this board I would never have considered lower than H but, thank God for Pricescope.
10.gif

msbennie

Shiny_Rock
I have a "J" Hearts and Arrow Ideal cut and it is spectacular...I love it!!!! I just told one of the posters that at one time I use to hate waiting for a red light to turn green, now I enjoy it since I could look at my "J" diamond. My avatar is my "J" engagement ring along with our wedding bands. Also, if you go to the "show me the ring" thread, you can see a larger picture of it as well as some other beautiful "J's". Hey, go for it...just make sure you have a great cut!!!!

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
Here is a J color

JPic.jpg

pajj

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone for your replies.

I forgot to mention one piece of information that might be important regarding my question of a J color diamond. I will be looking for a round shape diamond in the 2 to 2.5 carat range, Ideal/AGS0 cut. How much impact will that size diamond have if it is J color? Does the color become much more noticeable as the size gets larger? Again, it will bet set in a yellow gold band.

John

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi John,

It is easier to notice a tint of color in bigger diamonds, especially from the sides of the stone.

Also, people have varying levels of color sensitivity, meaning, you may not see the tint in a J color but the next person may see the tint in a G color.

From my experience, females are more color sensitive (have better taste?) than males.

As well, diamonds with identical sounding values may look very different.

It really is important to compare as many diamonds as possible.

msbennie

Shiny_Rock
Although my "J" diamond is Ideal/1.20, it is also an AGS0. I don't know if I'm partial or what, but I don't see the slightest bit of yellow in mine...not even from the sides. Of course, I agree with the previous poster, the larger the diamond, the more you could possibly see...however, that's not a bad thing. I've heard people say that the reason they love "J" is because the color is so romantic...and with a yellow gold setting...I don't think you can go wrong. Most people are concerned with the color of "J" when they're set in platinum...like mine...however, again it's looks very, very white to me in my bright white platinum setting. Also, what type of fluorescence are you considering? I've heard that medium to faint is great for a "J" but I don't know if that's in a platinum or yellow gold setting....Maybe some of the experts can chime in on this....

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
I luv J's
1.gif
actually, i luv any of the "near-colorless" stones - they look more "interesting" & have more "personality" than colorless stones IMHO & compliment my skin tone better than icy stones.

I have a 2.55ct J princess & a 1.279ct J RB (both set in platinum) and the only time i notice a tint is when i'm in a cream colored room w bad fluor lighting. Outside they look colorless, and bluish in the sunlight...
9.gif

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
There is a 4 carat ring on Show Me Your Ring/Eye Candy and it is an I color and it is gorgeous! Take a look for yourself.

purduephotog

Rough_Rock
I just saw and rejected an AGS 000 (1.8HCA) J 1.2ct SI2 stone. Inclusions weren't visible (white feathers), stone sparkled like crazy, was everything I wanted....

... but was yellow.

Yes I know it was yellow because it was a J, but head on in fluorescent light it was fine. In sunlight it was fine. But at a distance I could see the yellow, and if I had to put it in wg or plat (which I did) there was no way I would have been able to look at it without seeing the yellow. ESPECIALLY given the open side look I was shooting for.

So yes, J's might be fine for yellow gold... but I couldn't see it in plat or wg.

And I"m probably just wierd.

Jason

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Purduephotog you are not weird! You saw what you saw. I have seen two Js and one was white and bright and the other was definitely was warm with a yellow haze. I must say that the warm J was very pretty, but if you want white then white is what you should get.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results