shape
carat
color
clarity

IYO...what brand would you regard as a status symbol..

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
for the following items ?

settings
handbags
shoes
dresses
cars
watches

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Fun game!

settings:
JAR, Buccellati, Solange Azagury-Partridge in the "visibly recognizable" category
Leon Mege, Victor Canera, Single Stone in the "PS" category
A custom setting from one of the big houses - Cartier, etc. - in the "I have to tell people who made it" category

handbags:
I'm not much of a bag girl, so it's really the big names: Hermes, Bottega Veneta, Ferragamo, Prada, etc. - that impress me off the bat, though that's starting to change: personally speaking, I would quite like a Mulberry bag, and aspirationally speaking, I saw the loveliest bag by L'Wren Scott in Barney's the other day. I took it off the shelf: it was 20K. I put it back, gingerly. I would now regard that as a status symbol!

shoes
:
Loubotins. Mm, want. They may be the only ones, though: both shoes and dresses are not generally instantly recognizable enough for me to see them as "status" items.

dresses:
McQueen is practically the only house that I pay enough attention to to spot off the bat. I guess Chanel would qualify for their habit of stamping their logo on everything (do not like), and Herve Leger dresses are distinctive enough that I recognize them (although, there, the bigger point of status lies in being in sufficiently good shape to pull them off).

cars:
Audi, Jaguar, Mercedes, BMW ... the usual suspects. That said, I'm much more impressed by a beautiful vintage car, no matter what the make!

watches:
I'm a watch neophyte, so I'm as impressed by the ones with the quartz movements and the beautiful bracelets as I am by the excellent machines. So ... Cartier, Parmigiani, Chanel J12 are up there with Phillipe Patek, Rolex, etc. for me. That's why I ask you when I need watch advice, DF!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
settings JAR, Graff, Leviev, Kauffman de Suisse
handbags Hermes
shoes Manolos, Atwoods, CLs
dresses Armani, etc.
cars Aston Martin
watches Blancpain, Breguet

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's important to remember that status symbol, like beauty, is in the mind of the beholder.
It's possible a person buys an item purely for their own enjoyment of it's qualities and does not care if others think it confers status.

It is possible.

Most Steinway pianos are sold to rich folk who don't play.
A few are sold to musicians who don't give a hoot about status - so to say a Steinway piano is always a status symbol is not accurate.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1314124061|2997542 said:
I think it's important to remember that status symbol, like beauty, is in the mind of the beholder.
It's possible a person buys an item purely for their own enjoyment of it's qualities and does not care if others think it confers status.

It is possible.
very true Kenny,and also depending on the age groups different status brands for different age groups.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few people just don't give a crap what anyone thinks of them. :Up_to_something: :Up_to_something: :Up_to_something:
Shameful and selfish as it is, they live for themselves. :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:
But they do fall asleep the moment their heads hit the pillow. :praise: :praise: :praise:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think Status Symbols don't mean they are the best in their class, but just the most recognizable (i.e., marketed). People may buy them because of the "status" they convey

settings - Tiffany
handbags - LV
shoes - CL
dresses - Not sure here...I never recognize stuff like this
cars - Mercedes, Porsche, BMW
watches - Rolex, Cartier

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

It is possible.

A few are sold to musicians who don't give a hoot about status - so to say a Steinway piano is always a status symbol is not accurate.

That's the fascinating thing about status, and status "symbols." With a lot of this stuff, you can care less yourself ... but still have a vague awareness of what the brands signify, or what other people are trying to communicate via those brands. Of the stuff I listed, the only thing I really want personally is the Louboutins, and that's more because they're shiny pretty shoes than anything else (though, for 4K a pair, I'll likely hold off). Doesn't mean I didn't understand the lady I went out with the other day who was wearing a Prada purse, Tod's loafers, and Ippolita jewelry. There's a lady successfully communicating status as well as taste.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1314125039|2997569 said:
It is possible.
That's the fascinating thing about status, and status "symbols." With a lot of this stuff, you can care less yourself ... but still have a vague awareness of what the brands signify, or what other people are trying to communicate via those brands. Of the stuff I listed, the only thing I really want personally is the Louboutins, and that's more because they're shiny pretty shoes than anything else (though, for 4K a pair, I'll likely hold off). Doesn't mean I didn't understand the lady I went out with the other day who was wearing a Prada purse, Tod's loafers, and Ippolita jewelry. There's a lady successfully communicating status as well as taste.

Yes, it works both ways too.
For a person who does not play seeing a gal get out of a Rolls Royce wearing a 200 ct diamond may mean nothing.
Some people feel we are all equal, regardless of wealth.
Wealth just means . . . wealth.
It's far from the modern western mind, but again, some people don't play the status game in either direction.
The Queen of England and the homeless heroin addict dying under the bridge can be thought of as equal.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

It is possible.

Which Louboutins do you want? They're well under $4k, especially the more basic black pumps. They're usually around $600ish. Not chump change, but way more affordable than $4k. I don't wear heels so I don't have any, but I like to shop so I know the prices! :cheeky:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1314125358|2997578 said:
It is possible.

Yes, it works both ways too.
For a person who does not play seeing a gal get out of a Rolls Royce wearing a 200 ct diamond may mean nothing.
Some people feel we are all equal, regardless of wealth.
Wealth just means . . . wealth.
It's far from the modern western mind, but again, some people don't play the status game in either direction.
The Queen of England and the homeless heroin addict dying under the bridge can be thought of as equal.

But of course! Social status and personal value are two different things. One of them, sadly, is just a lot easier to advertise ....

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Interesting discussion, Kenny. I agree with you that wealth does not equal superiority.

I think a more accurate question would be to ask "What brand do you regard as a symbol of wealth (or privilege)?"

I can't really answer either question because I pay zero attention to brands and the like. Though, I do believe that every single item we choose to wear communicates something to the world about us. While in Luzern we dined next to a family that appeared to be dripping with money, and I based that impression solely on their appearance. Think of a Ralph Lauren ad come to life, populated with the blondest, tallest, parents you've ever seen, and a set of matching blonde children. All of them quite stunning. I have no idea what brand of clothing they donned, but the overall effect was striking. Do I feel they were superior? No. But they certainly looked rich.

I wear very different outfits depending on my mood, and it's interesting how people respond to me based on my appearance. When I'm in an old band t-shirt and jeans with my hair all a-flowing, people tend to approach me with a laid-back vibe. When I'm in heels and a pressed outfit, the response is certainly stiffer. Has to be that I'm communicating *something* based on my appearance.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
thing2of2|1314125927|2997587 said:

It is possible.

Which Louboutins do you want? They're well under $4k, especially the more basic black pumps. They're usually around $600ish. Not chump change, but way more affordable than $4k. I don't wear heels so I don't have any, but I like to shop so I know the prices! :cheeky:

These: http://us.christianlouboutin.com/shoes/evening/samira-strass-100mm.html. They were 4K at Barney's - glad to know there's a "cheaper" alternative! :tongue:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1314123611|2997529 said:
Fun game!

shoes
:
Loubotins. Mm, want. They may be the only ones, though: both shoes and dresses are not generally instantly recognizable enough for me to see them as "status" items.
how about Manolo or Jimmy Choo?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Circe|1314126317|2997596 said:
thing2of2|1314125927|2997587 said:

It is possible.

These: http://us.christianlouboutin.com/shoes/evening/samira-strass-100mm.html. They were 4K at Barney's - glad to know there's a "cheaper" alternative! :tongue:

I mean at 25% off you should snap them up immediately! :cheeky:

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Well I'm not a fan of "status", it's not something I want...but I'll go with brands I consider elusive and covetable because of their exceptional quality and the cost that comes with great workmanship and materials. I Probably spelled them wrong because I only own two of these brands:

settings- Graff
handbags- Bottega Veneta
shoes- Louboutin
dresses- YSL
cars- Porsche
watches- Blancpain

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1314122918|2997522 said:

settings
handbags
shoes
dresses
cars
watches

I'm gonna absolutely forget a ton but these that come to mind right away:

I think a lot of this depends on your age, so I am 23. In no particular order:

Settings: Cartier, Veraggio, Tacori, Tiffany's ....these are the ones that stand out to me the most. It doesn't mean I necessarily like all of them but I think -----> $$$$$$$$$$ when I hear of these settings.

Handbags: Gucci, LV, Prada, Hermes, Fendi, Burberry. When I was younger, I used to think Coach was a status symbol but now that I am older, I don't think so anymore.

Shoes: Gucci, Prada, LV, Jimmy Choo, Christian Louboutin, Manolo Blahnik

Dresses: Vera Wang

Cars: Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini. I love love love love cars. I like all different cars, expensive or not...however when I think of "status symbol," these are the ones that definitely come to mind. Ask me which cars specifically of each brand are status symbols and my answer will change. I don't believe all Audi's are status symbols and same goes for BMW/Mercedes/Porsche. It depends on which car specifically you own.

Watches: Patek Philippe, AP, Cartier, Corum, Chopard, IWC, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Ulysse Nardin, Zenith. For these, it depends on which watch you have, too. I can't agree that all of the watches from each brand are status symbols. It depends on the model specifically.

One thing I really want to note though, is that when I see someone with any of the above status symbols, I don't instantly think...."That person has money!"

I just think, "nice car...nice watch....nice shoes..." because I have met faaaaarrrrrr too many people who THINK they have money and who max out their credit cards for these status symbols but their bank accounts don't speak for nothin.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm curious.
What is expensive, optional, but NOT considered a status symbol?

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1314130500|2997663 said:
I'm curious.
Paying for sex.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kelpie|1314130630|2997665 said:
I'm curious.
Paying for sex.

Well, some attractive young men acquire status from marrying rich, uhhh, formerly-young women . . .

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I'm curious.

Cocaine :)

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Settings _ none honestly. I just don't see them that way.
Handbags _ anything well made in leather with no obvious branding on it. I can't identify brands for the life of me, but I do have an eye for quality
Shoes _ see handbags
Dresses _ I don't wear dresses so no clue here
Cars _ f250 or larger, people consider my impreza a status symbol _ I disagree since I didn't buy a WRX
watches _ once again everybody thinks my Fossil watch is amazing. Its nothing compared to PS standards!

Can you tell I'm such a small town girl :)

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1314122918|2997522 said:

settings
handbags
shoes
dresses
cars
watches

settings -- LM, Cartier, HW
handbags -- Hermes, LV
shoes -- Louboutins
dresses -- Monique Lhuillier
cars -- Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Porsche, & maybe Land Rover
watches -- ???

There are probably ones I'm missing but I'm not up on these things.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
settings :Leon Menahenge (sorry, don't know his name, I'm a colored stones girl) among PSer's, Tiffany for the rest of the populace
handbags: chanel, hermes
shoes: chanel,
dresses: vera wang for brides, chanel for suits, after that I don't know
cars: porsche, mercedes
watches: rolex, patek

I think this all depends on your peer group. It's jealousy that prompts someone to want something that someone else has, and if no one in your peer group has better than a Lexus, you'd like a Lexus. But if everyone in your crowd has a G5 private jet, than a your Lexus isn't going to impress anyone. If all your friends are carrying Birkin bags at $10-$20K each, then it's hard to fit in without it. Just like the settings question; a lot of PSer's know particular brands that average folks would never guess at, so their idea of lux is different. It's all in the peer group.

I say hang around with regular folks, and save the money! ;-)

My idea of luxury came from my family, who are all European. They only recognize brands that are at least 75 years old, and preferably French (even though we are not French). Anything newer than that, is just upstart stuff that comes and goes, in their opinion. The downward slide of Lanvin is lamented, the loss of Faberge is still sad. Try getting some respect for Prada pumps in that crowd!

Yup. It's like 1935 at the reunions . . .

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Sparkly Blonde|1314136202|2997739 said:
Settings _ none honestly. I just don't see them that way.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Finished pieces of jewelry, yes, because they form a total package - the stone, the setting design, workmanship but the setting by itself is hard for me to see as a status symbol in its own right.

But then I'm clueless about the current status symbols for most anything. I think for every product there is probably a status symbol brand that everyone recognizes regardless of whether they are interested in the product - and probably a status symbol brand only recognized by consumers who are passionate about the product and very knowledgeable.

Some of these status symbol brands I've never heard of - like Louboutin - I've bought a couple of the Salvatore Ferragamo on sale but I don't do it too often because I tear up my shoes and they're too expensive for that - even on sale. I'm sure the true shoe aficionados would laugh that brand out of the store.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I'm originally from a very small town and live in a big city now, so my results may be skewed. I don't necessarily agree with the term "status symbol". I guess it's all relative to what kind of "status" you are trying to achieve.

settings: Tiffany, Cartier
handbags: Prada, Hermes
shoes: Jimmy Choo, Manolo, Louboutin
dresses: Vera Wang
cars: Ferrari, Lamborghini, Rolls Royce
watches: Rolex

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
Autumnovember|1314130752|2997667 said:
I'm curious.

Cocaine :)

LMAO :lol: :lol:

I am reading through this thread and for some reason this took me off-guard. Made me spit out the water I am drinking. Too funny (and so true).

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember|1314129926|2997656 said:
One thing I really want to note though, is that when I see someone with any of the above status symbols, I don't instantly think...."That person has money!"

I just think, "nice car...nice watch....nice shoes..." because I have met faaaaarrrrrr too many people who THINK they have money and who max out their credit cards for these status symbols but their bank accounts don't speak for nothin.

Very well said - totally agree!!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I'm curious.

What comes to mind for me are activities, like travel and other experiences that are $$$

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results