shape
carat
color
clarity

IYO...what brand would you regard as a status symbol..

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1314122918|2997522 said:
for the following items ?

cars
watches

Cars, Audi (used to be Auto Union, that's why it has the four rings), Porsche (and Volkswagen, Volkswagen owns Audi and the history of Porsche, Volkswagen, and Audi are all wrapped up together).

Mercedes-Benz.

BMW (but it's not my favorite).

Those are the ones I know the most about so I'll leave it at that.

Watches, Patek and Lange (obviously), Audemars Piquet (obviously), Vacheron Constantin (obviously), and JLC (it didn't used to be a manufacture but is now and is the most famous maker of innovative and quality movements).

Other cars and watches are status symbols but to be honest I'm one of those people like Kenny who doesn't care about others' opinions.

I guess the most status oriented cars are Rolls Royce, Bentley, and Mercedes Benz in that order and the most status oriented watches traditionally are Patek, VC, and Audemars Piquet, but like I said, I could really care less about anything other than my own opinion as far as status goes (not trying to be rude).

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny|1314154884|2997959 said:

cars
watches

Watches, Patek and Lange (obviously), Audemars Piquet (obviously), Vacheron Constantin (obviously), and JLC (it didn't used to be a manufacture but is now and is the most famous maker of innovative and quality movements).
Danny
how can you regard these as status symbols when 90% of the people on the street had never heard of these brands?.. :confused:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm intrigued by the unspoken assumptions we're all employing in how we define "status symbol." For some of us, it's read as a sign of worth - projected or not, successfully or not - and for some as a sign of wealth - ditto - and, going off DF's post above mine, for some of us, of broad recognition, mass appeal, a kind of universal agreement that, yes, our culture values X over Y.

But at the end of the day, isn't the status symbol predicated entirely on how we define status individually - on what we value enough to bother recognizing? I mean, for me, at the end of the day, the only status that really counts is number of publications ... but I know enough about some of the categories above to be able to rattle off a few names and recognize the items if I see them in the hands of random acquaintances.

Central Square's point about vacations rang a bell, too: when I was idly talking to my husband about another thread (why big diamonds weren't A Thing in his home country the way they are in the US), he mentioned that in Europe, name-dropping an exotic vacation was a much bigger (though more tasteful, by local standards) signifier of status that even the biggest rock. Everything's relative ....

At the end of the day, I figure Kenny and I are probably closer on this than it seemed at first: I think the only judges of status we're trying to impress at the end of the day are in our heads, and the things we choose are more a kind of projected identity formation than anything else. Or maybe I'm just feeling rambly .... :ugeek:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fun thread! I'll play:

settings HW, VC&A, Cartier, Graff

handbags: Hermes, defintely Hermes. And to a lesser extent Chanel

shoes: Christian Louboutin, Chanel, Prada, Gucci, Manolo Blahnik, Jimmy Choo, Brian Atwood

dresses: Chanel, Prada, Gucci, Valentino, Vera Wang...so many cannot list them all out ;))

cars: Buggati Veyron, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porche. And to a lesser extent Mercedes, BMW, Lexus

watches: Patek Phillipe, VC, Piaget, Lange and Sohne, Cartier, Chopard, IWC, Franck Muller, some Rolex'es

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
centralsquare|1314153698|2997941 said:
kenny|1314130500|2997663 said:
I'm curious.
What is expensive, optional, but NOT considered a status symbol?

What comes to mind for me are activities, like travel and other experiences that are $$$

There are also things like the help that people have in their house/household. When I hear "staff" I think :$$):

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1314158459|2998021 said:

cars
watches

Danny
how can you regard these as status symbols when 90% of the people on the street had never heard of these brands?.. :confused:

Because HE knows the watch when HE sees it so to HIM its a status symbol.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
You know..I wonder how many people would be willing to admit that they buy some of this stuff because its considered a "status symbol"?

I know a good amount of us probably own one of those cars, watches, shoes, bags....so here is a question:

Why did you buy it?

I will be more than happy to answer the question on my behalf if anyone else is curious too.

Colltee

Rough_Rock
Autumnovember|1314175989|2998093 said:
You know..I wonder how many people would be willing to admit that they buy some of this stuff because its considered a "status symbol"? I know a good amount of us probably own one of those cars, watches, shoes, bags....so here is a question: Why did you buy it?
I buy the brands I do: Louboutins, Manolos, Chloe, Prada etc. as generally nowadays, I find the only way to get classic, timeless quality shoes, clothes and accessories is unfortunately to fork out the $$$'s. (This also might slightly also be down to quality of clothes shopping here in Sydney in comparison to a lot of other places).

I have really simple and classic taste. I like clean lines and good quality materials: soft leather; good tailoring etc. I find it next to impossible to get any of this unless I pay over the odds for it. I work really hard for a living and in turn, at times I now splurge on items I couldn't afford 5 years ago. Life is short, you never know what's around the corner, you can't take it with you when you go.. as long as you've covered the bills, put a bit into saving etc etc, the rest is there and earned, to be enjoyed. I work crazy hours but I am fortunate and very appreciative that I work at what I do (and believe me I've slogged damn hard to get where I am now) so I can now afford the things I like from time to time.

If I go out tomorrow to try and find a very simple, tailored and flattering slim-line pair of black trousers; or a slim-line, classic white crisp shirt, I can almost guarantee I won't find them on the high street for $120, I'll find them in a high-end department store or designer brand for $600+. However, I have learnt from experience I am better to spend the $600 and find, over time that these trousers/shirt will: A: last me longer; B: I'll look after them better; C: will fit me very well and D: won't look out of fashion and horribly dated, or old and worn in 2 years time.

I will be honest and say I am sucked in by some of the high-end fashion house, aka like the ones I mentioned above as I admire their brand message, marketing and general creative direction. I guess their visual marketing/message just works on me. There are other brands I cannot fathom spending that much money on, i.e. $20,000 on a Hermes bag or whatever they cost, or on a LV as the latter does nothing for my tastes. I'd love a Chanel tweed jacket but I find nothing appealing about their style of shoes or bags: too gaudy and decorated for me and a tad old for my years. But no judging, totally obviously each to their own. Personally however for $20K I'd rather go on a holiday abroad; stay in a nice, luxurious hotel; buy a few $K's worth of clothes; drink good wine and enjoy some amazing meals. BUT it's all relative. If I earned $4million per year, I am sure I would own a few of those $20K bags AND go on that holiday ... only better! :naughty:

I will spend $2K on a bag, only if I know it will last me a few years; will age well; is a timeless design and I'll get varied use out of it. It's the same with shoes. I have a fair few pairs of C. Louboutins and such, but I wear them all the time. I feel amazing in them, they're all very simple in style, very stylish and sexy, are honestly very comfortable (these type of designers offer half sizes and such – something less seen nowadays in lower priced shoes) and yes I'll be honest I do get a small kick out of knowing they've got the red sole on them, also they all still look like they were purchased yesterday even though some are 2 years old.. Please understand me, I'm not an arrogant or showy person, on the contrary I am rather shy and hate being the centre of attention, but as I mentioned above, I work damn hard and I guess get a sense of enjoyment from these splurges – I buy them for me, not for any other reason.

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal|1314124857|2997566 said:
I think Status Symbols don't mean they are the best in their class, but just the most recognizable (i.e., marketed). People may buy them because of the "status" they convey

settings - Tiffany
handbags - LV
shoes - CL
dresses - Not sure here...I never recognize stuff like this
cars - Mercedes, Porsche, BMW
watches - Rolex, Cartier

+1 :bigsmile:

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Settings: Leviev & Graff

Handbags: Hermes

Shoes: Louboutin

Dresses: Oscar De La Renta, Chanel, Carolina Herrera, Givenchy, Valentino

Cars: Rolls Royce, Bentley, Aston Martin

Watches: Patek, Audemars Piguet, Vacheron Constantin

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
The rule of thumb for true status symbols has never changed:

If you have to think about it, and decide what is most important . . . then you probably:

a) can't afford the lifestyle , b) are merely nouveau riche, not old money, c) will never be in the same class as those who wear Bulgari and Cartier by day ("Oh, this old thing? It was Mother's."), while the truly magnificent jewels sit in a bank vault until the next time you entertain royalty.

The really rich never think about their status or the symbols of it. Status symbols are for the rest of us wannabes.

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
HollyS|1314213517|2998403 said:

If you have to think about it, and decide what is most important . . . then you probably:

a) can't afford the lifestyle , b) are merely nouveau riche, not old money, c) will never be in the same class as those who wear Bulgari and Cartier by day ("Oh, this old thing? It was Mother's."), while the truly magnificent jewels sit in a bank vault until the next time you entertain royalty.

The really rich never think about their status or the symbols of it. Status symbols are for the rest of us wannabes.

So, so true.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
HollyS|1314213517|2998403 said:

Depends on why you're buying the item.

I didn't buy my car because I want people to "think" I am rich. I didn't get the diamond I did because I want people think I have money. I'm not having the wedding I am so that people think I am something I am not.

I bought the car because it is visually appealing and beautiful to me. I have the diamond I do because that size diamond just looks best on my 6.25 fingers. I'm having the wedding that I am because it flawlessly fell together the way that it did.

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
Autumn November you shop like most of us shop - because we like something. Some people do think that by purchasing a handbag from a famous fashion house that it is a declaration of their status or where they are in their life, in the same way that teenagers dress like their friends to seek approval from peers and belong to their chosen 'set'. Some people just like Chloe bags or Phillip Treacy hats and there is nothing more to it, but some people need to get that bag because its on page 132 of Vogue and they know that when they walk into the office jaws will drop with bag lust!

This is a really interesting post and I agree (and disagree) with so many of the opinions even though some of them are conflicting - I think I contradict myself a lot. There are lots of layers as to why we think certain things are status symbols and why we covet them.

I'm not sure this little ramble makes any sense.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know..I wonder how many people would be willing to admit that they buy some of this stuff because its considered a "status symbol"?

I know a good amount of us probably own one of those cars, watches, shoes, bags....so here is a question:

Why did you buy it?

I will be more than happy to answer the question on my behalf if anyone else is curious too.
lets hear it... :bigsmile:

iLander

Ideal_Rock

cars
watches

Cars, Audi (used to be Auto Union, that's why it has the four rings), Porsche (and Volkswagen, Volkswagen owns Audi and the history of Porsche, Volkswagen, and Audi are all wrapped up together).

Hi Danny! :wavey: Someday you and I can discuss how the 944 has too many Audi parts, the 914 is mostly volkswagen parts and the 911 may be the only "true" Porsche. Then we can veer into a deep talk about "are the Panamera and the Cayenne actually driving machines, or is it just too easy to compress the clutch in those models?"

Yup.
:bigsmile:

Sorry, everybody. Porsche rant over . . .

ETA: I like it because it snaps your head against the seat if you push the accelerator. I don't care if no one ever sees me in it. Ever.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1314230443|2998618 said:

Why did you buy it?

lets hear it... :bigsmile:

I already answered...

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

cars
watches

Danny

DF, because like I said I don't really care what most people thing SO I'm a little out of touch with what they think. But I'll give you the obvious answer.

Rolex.

Like you didn't know that. :bigsmile:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1314230982|2998634 said:

cars
watches

Hi Danny! :wavey: Someday you and I can discuss how the 944 has too many Audi parts, the 914 is mostly volkswagen parts and the 911 may be the only "true" Porsche. Then we can veer into a deep talk about "are the Panamera and the Cayenne actually driving machines, or is it just too easy to compress the clutch in those models?"

Yup.

ETA: I like it because it snaps your head against the seat if you push the accelerator. I don't care if no one ever sees me in it. Ever.

I hear you! I'm an Audi person myself, dyed in the wool, but I'd loves me some sweet base 911, oh yes. You can keep the Cayenne and the Panamera (seriously? soo many other choices if you have to have four doors). Another time, another thread, though. Sounds like fun! :wavey:

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi All,

Holly, I think if you think about yachts, throughbred horses and big mansions, you wouldn't say that the very rich don't have their own status symbols. Paintings, art go wth old world money status-- as do jewels. I feel quite certain they are all aware of them . Furs as well. Sable, Sago Fox, also status symbols of the very rich.

I have no problem with folks wanting a "status" item. I never think they are pretending to be something they are not.
I think its fun and aspirational.

I had a LV bag for many years. Women stopped my in the stores to ask me if it was real. I said yes, Well, one yr I went to buy a new car. The salesman asked me the same question and explained that he used to sell good knockoffs. He asked to see mine and declared it to be a knockoff. I wasn't too concerned as I was thinking of having it refurbished for my niece. I called the NY store and explained what I wanted and they asked me to describe the bag, I did and the woman said, its a knockoff, so we won't be able to refurbish it. It had a suede lining. I knew it was old , but they did not make the original with a suede lining. So in the garbAGE IT WENT. I felt really bad. I did actually get a good feeling from carrying that bag thinking it was an original. But I won't buy another.

I like Cartier, LV, Valentino, and Christian Dior, . I never think of BMW as a status symbol. The sports cars, yes.

Thanks,

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="Imdanny|1314234399|2998729

DF, because like I said I don't really care what most people thing SO I'm a little out of touch with what they think. But I'll give you the obvious answer.

Rolex.

Like you didn't know that. :bigsmile:[/quote]

yep,Rolex and Panerai for the younger crowd.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1314234622|2998736 said:

cars
watches

Yup.

I hear you! I'm an Audi person myself, dyed in the wool, but I'd loves me some sweet base 911, oh yes. You can keep the Cayenne and the Panamera (seriously? soo many other choices if you have to have four doors). Another time, another thread, though. Sounds like fun! :wavey:

Please include me in that thread! Audi lover here---just bought the A7!!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
You mean my Emily the Strange purse with the kitties on it isn't a status symbol? Woe!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember|1314175663|2998092 said:

cars
watches

Danny

Because HE knows the watch when HE sees it so to HIM its a status symbol.

I just saw this post. You beat me to it! :))

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember|1314238230|2998799 said:

cars
watches

Yup.

And this one too. Congrats on your A7!! I had a 2001 A6 2.8q. I bought it new and it was the best car I've had, needless to say. Fantastic car. And while I'm at it, what we think of "Audi" are the people who make Lamborghini, and they most definitely are responsible for making the Bugatti Veyron too. :))

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1314254416|2999019 said:
Autumnovember|1314238230|2998799 said:

cars
watches

Yup.

And this one too. Congrats on your A7!! I had a 2001 A6 2.8q. I bought it new and it was the best car I've had, needless to say. Fantastic car. And while I'm at it, what we think of "Audi" are the people who make Lamborghini, and they most definitely are responsible for making the Bugatti Veyron too. :))

Thanks Danny! Always have loved the A6...have you seen the new one? Its beautiful :love:

Very right about the Veyron/Lambo.... :bigsmile:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm.. I never thought about it. I guess I really don't care about any of those things. I guess I wouldn't mind owning a pair of
Louboutin's, but I have no idea where I would wear them.

I am more impressed by folks who can do all the traveling they want too. That would be my status symbol but I wouldn't be impressed
by what brands they are wearing at all. I don't think I would even notice to be frank. I would notice big honking diamonds or a
Rolex but it wouldn't impress me.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="Autumnovember|1314238230|2998799

Please include me in that thread! Audi lover here---just bought the A7!![/quote]

congrats AN.... :appl: ...WHEEL SHOTS please:!:

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1314292801|2999336 said:

congrats AN.... :appl: ...WHEEL SHOTS please:!:[/quote]

Wheel shots? Sinfully pink, my sweet, dear, DF.

I've had the car for 1 month now...I've put 2k miles on it. Think I like the car much?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Autumnovember|1314293455|2999341 said:
Dancing Fire|1314292801|2999336 said:

congrats AN.... :appl: ...WHEEL SHOTS please:!:

Wheel shots? Sinfully pink, my sweet, dear, DF.

I've had the car for 1 month now...I've put 2k miles on it. Think I like the car much?[/quote]
take me for a spin.. :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results