shape
carat
color
clarity

IYO, should in-person schools (K through post Ph.D) open now?

IYO, should in-person schools (K through post Ph.D) open now?

• 1 Absolutely not!

Votes: 27 50.0%

Votes: 4 7.4%

Votes: 4 7.4%

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • 5 I don't know

Votes: 3 5.6%

Votes: 1 1.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 1.9%

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • 10 Yes Absolutely!

Votes: 10 18.5%

• Total voters

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What exactly is the endgame here? No more cases? No more deaths? I have yet to hear this from anyone. We shut everything down initially so that hospitals would not be overwhelmed and to "flatten the curve." The vast majority of hospitals worked at 40% capacity through it all, and we did flatten the curve. All we heard about was "deaths and hospitalizations" (which is what is important). Now that Covid been proven to have a 0.4% mortality rate (and likely lower than that, due to asymptomatic cases that will never be known), all we hear about is "all these new cases"... Did anyone think there would be little to no new cases when things opened back up?? Come on, now. You can't keep ppl from working forever.

The focus is on entirely the wrong thing. It should be percentage of positives requiring hospitalization and deaths, not the number of new cases being the reason for continued shutdown... period.

Your focus is entirely on the United States. Come on now. Why is the United States killing vastly more people than any European country or than Canada? Because we opened back up only to please Donald Trump and to get back to work, not to get rid of the virus causing the problem.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@kenny There is no recommendation for isolation unless one is high risk, is sick or may have been exposed, waiting for contact tracing test results. The rest of us can social distance. It’s not careless or insensitive to do so especially in areas with low numbers of cases. Even Fauci is going to baseball games And slacking on the mask wearing...and because of his age he’s in the risky category.

You are incorrect. All public health organizations are still recommending that EVERONE not go out if it's not necessary, such as for work, required errands, groceries, etc. It's not "safe" to be distancing with masks in public - it's just safer than being in public without distancing and masks. There are still several people in any public setting doing proper distancing and masking who will still get infected. The more of that community spread there is, the more they put those at high risk in danger, because those at high risk still have to go out on necessary errands such as to get groceries, get non-COVID medical care, etc., where they get exposed, and because the very most vulnerable are being cared for in nursing homes by those who haven't paid diddly-squat attention to the actual science and think if they wear a mask and keep six feet away that it's "safe" when it's not. I've heard it over and over again from everyone in public health who is NOT a political lackey - everyone should be avoiding nonessential contact with those outside their home, PERIOD.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Use brain.
There's no such thing as no risk anywhere in the world.
It's pretty cavalier to call other people killers when you can't be sure whether they have the virus or not.
Everyone has a different risk tolerance level. Just because your risk threshold is lower doesn't give you any superiority over others whose tolerance for risk is higher. You stay cautious and stay out of the way of people who aren't taking it seriously. You don't need to put down people without knowing what they are doing in their everyday lives to prevent the spread of this virus.

Yes, we can judge those with a "higher risk tolerance." We're not talking about judging those who choose not to wear a seat belt or a motorcycle helmet because they have a higher risk tolerance, because their choices in those matters affect only them. This is entirely different. You telling us not to judge them is the equivalent of telling us we shouldn't judge those who drive drunk because they just have a different "risk tolerance." Garbage.

Those who are most likely to die can't be kept safe from it, no matter how much they want to be. They still need groceries to live. They still need essential supplies. They still need medications. They still need non-COVID medical care. In some states, they will still have to show up in person and risk their lives if they want to exercise their constitutional right to vote. They still reside in senior facilities and rely on younger community members to work there and care for them. If others who figure they're not high-risk are running around increasing levels of community spread, it WILL get to those most at risk. It's happening all over the US - first the numbers went up, but not hospitalizations and deaths, because they were mostly young people who said "screw you" and partied for Memorial Day and the 4th and whatever other event. But, as time went on, the average age of new cases went up, and then hospitalizations went up, and then hospitals became overwhelmed, and then came the deaths. It's happening in my county - we'd had no new cases in nursing homes in May and June, while numbers of new cases in young people kept rising, rising, rising, all summer, and everyone said, "Oh, no big deal, it's all young people, see, hospitalizations and deaths aren't going up, blah blah blah" and I said, "Just wait." And they called me a doomer. And now? 12 different facilities in the county have multiple staff members who got infected and are infecting the residents, and one by one the residents are going into the hospitals and dying. It's heartbreaking. And beyond the facilities, the average age of new cases is going up again, we're getting double-digit increases in new hospitalizations every week..... the deaths are coming.

So yes, those of you who are going out in public for non-essential reasons and choosing to socialize with people outside your household ARE putting the lives of those of us at high-risk in danger. Even if you mask and distance, because masking and distancing helps, but doesn't eliminate transmission. Masking and distancing are meant as strategies to allow people to do NECESSARY things, like go to work and go to the grocery, with LESS, but not no, risk. It's not carte blanche to run around doing whatever you want because you want.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
not go out if it's not necessary, such as for work, required errands, groceries, etc.

A person going for even essential errands, groceries, to work is not isolated. Of course they would need a mask.

Last edited:
Q

Queenie60

LOL Kenny. You can call me names if you want but you could just answer the question. If I am isolated and in contact with no other person why would I need a mask? I wouldn’t be breathing any air but my own and no one would be breathing my air. You do know that is what isolation means right? Is it so I don’t infect myself?

Anyone else can feel free to answe if I’m just being dense and you’d like to enlighten me. I promise not to swear at you, ignore you call you names.

@1ofakind - you must know that your comments are a loosing battle. You have a difference of opinion than "them" "the herd" therefore, they will attack you and make you feel bad about your feelings. It's not worth the banter and going in circles - there's no such thing as civil discussion on PS unless you "go with the flow and what they think is right" - I would suggest you spend your time on more productive things. Been there, done that. Please know that I am not trying to argue or make you feel bad, just giving you my experienced advise. I wish you well. :wavey:

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What exactly is the endgame here? No more cases? No more deaths? I have yet to hear this from anyone. We shut everything down initially so that hospitals would not be overwhelmed and to "flatten the curve." The vast majority of hospitals worked at 40% capacity through it all, and we did flatten the curve. All we heard about was "deaths and hospitalizations" (which is what is important). Now that Covid been proven to have a 0.4% mortality rate (and likely lower than that, due to asymptomatic cases that will never be known), all we hear about is "all these new cases"...

The focus is on entirely the wrong thing. It should be percentage of positives requiring hospitalization and deaths, not the number of new cases being the reason for continued shutdown... period.

We flattened the curve. And then everywhere in the US except the Northeast, we turned right around and blew the curve up this summer even worse than it was initially. So guess what? We need to do it again. Because we absolutely blew it.

"Covid been proven to have a 0.4% mortality rate" - blatantly untrue. In the US, as of when I write this, we've had 5,228,817 cases and 166,317 deaths. That's a mortality rate of 3.18% here. It doesn't matter what the mortality rate is elsewhere in the world, where there is different medical care, different cultural practices, different government mandates, etc.

"Did anyone think there would be little to no new cases when things opened back up?? Come on, now. You can't keep ppl from working forever." The huge surge in cases this summer hasn't been from people going back to work. It's been almost entirely from people partying, hanging in bars, having large family gatherings and events like weddings, and insisting that kids can't miss even one season of youth sports or heaven forbid, their little lives will be destroyed, all while refusing to distance and mask. It's been from selfish, stupid, unnecessary behavior.

Were the overwhelmed hospitals in Texas and Florida, and the rationing of care in Texas, not enough? Do we have to just sit back and let that happen everywhere to admit that this is for real and that there is a problem?

Of course it is... which is why we shut down the country, bankrupt businesses and people, and ruin the economy every flu season. Wait... no we don't ever do that. This was never about the virus.

Ridiculous statement. Are you seriously going to compare this to the flu? During the 2018-19 flu season, the US had 35,520,883 cases of the flu and 34,157 deaths. That's a mortality rate of less than 0.1%. Compared to 3.18%. Just stop.

"This was never about the virus." Stop politicizing a public health crisis.

Last edited:

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A person going for even essential errands, groceries, to work is not isolated. Of course they would need a mask.

Yes, they need a mask. To reduce risk, not eliminate it. Since even masking and distancing don't eliminate transmission, just reduce it, everyone should be avoiding going out at all except for necessary things such as work and essential errands. Socializing can be done on the phone, online, etc. Does it suck? Yes. But that is where we are.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you care about anyone's grannies and grandadads then it's masks and social isolation.

Use brain.
Low risk is not no risk.
Then I guess our daughters wanna kill us b/c they see us everyday w/o wearing a mask, and our daughters know we don't have any life insurances when we die. Don't wanna give them any idea... :lol:

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
@1ofakind - you must know that your comments are a loosing battle. You have a difference of opinion than "them" "the herd" therefore, they will attack you and make you feel bad about your feelings. It's not worth the banter and going in circles - there's no such thing as civil discussion on PS unless you "go with the flow and what they think is right" - I would suggest you spend your time on more productive things. Been there, done that. Please know that I am not trying to argue or make you feel bad, just giving you my experienced advise. I wish you well. :wavey:

Thank you Queenie. I know you are not arguing with me and rest assured, my feeling are not hurt by any of this. I do not take some of these people seriously...how could I???

I do participate in other parts of this board but I guess some of this is just a bit of comic relief for me. I can’t wait to read tomorrow’s episode.....Trump plans to give all Americans a free pit bull hoping It will chase off the mailman in a further attempt to disrupt mail-in voting!!! Followed by a PSA...Remember, if you are isolated, not seeing any people or going out anywhere, YOU STILL NEED A MASK. Or someone’s grannie will die...and you are a terrible person.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Then I guess our daughters wanna kill us b/c they see us everyday w/o wearing a mask, and our daughters know we don't have any life insurances when we die. Don't wanna give them any idea... :lol:

Who needs insurance when you have all that bling For your daughters to inherit? Maybe you better take your afternoon naps with one eye open DF...those adorable grandkids could be in on the plot.

Last edited:

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Remember, if you are isolated, not seeing any people or going out anywhere, YOU STILL NEED A MASK. Or someone’s grannie will die...and you are a terrible person.

Kenny said "isolate and wear a mask." It was clear to everyone else reading it that he meant isolate as much as possible, and when not possible, wear a mask. You are deliberately making an issue of his exact phrasing in a way no one else did for the intent purpose of trying to ridicule him and minimize the point he was trying to make. It pissed him off, as it would most people, and he called you on it. I don't agree with his choice to name-call, but you were deliberately baiting him, so you need to own your part in the exchange. And stop misrepresenting the point he was making.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@1ofakind - you must know that your comments are a loosing battle. You have a difference of opinion than "them" "the herd" therefore, they will attack you and make you feel bad about your feelings.
Especially if you are a Republican. :shhh: :bigsmile:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who needs insurance when you have all that bling For your daughters to inherit? Maybe you better take your afternoon naps with one eye open DF...those adorable grandkids could be in on the plot.
Yeah,They aren't wearing a mask. Are they trying to kill grandpa and grandma?

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Kenny said "isolate and wear a mask." It was clear to everyone else reading it that he meant isolate as much as possible, and when not possible, wear a mask. You are deliberately making an issue of his exact phrasing in a way no one else did for the intent purpose of trying to ridicule him and minimize the point he was trying to make. It pissed him off, as it would most people, and he called you on it. I don't agree with his choice to name-call, but you were deliberately baiting him, so you need to own your part in the exchange. And stop misrepresenting the point he was making.
I assume Kenny meant what he said because he drew a distinction between social isolation and social distancing that I stated, and based on his other posts Even so I asked a question and he could have clarified. He can still clarify. He chose another option...to be derogatory and personally attack me. But I can see how you think a some razzing on my end is way over the line. Apologies for not being a bigger person.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We flattened the curve. And then everywhere in the US except the Northeast, we turned right around and blew the curve up this summer even worse than it was initially. So guess what? We need to do it again. Because we absolutely blew it.

"Covid been proven to have a 0.4% mortality rate" - blatantly untrue. In the US, as of when I write this, we've had 5,228,817 cases and 166,317 deaths. That's a mortality rate of 3.18% here. It doesn't matter what the mortality rate is elsewhere in the world, where there is different medical care, different cultural practices, different government mandates, etc.

"Did anyone think there would be little to no new cases when things opened back up?? Come on, now. You can't keep ppl from working forever." The huge surge in cases this summer hasn't been from people going back to work. It's been almost entirely from people partying, hanging in bars, having large family gatherings and events like weddings, and insisting that kids can't miss even one season of youth sports or heaven forbid, their little lives will be destroyed, all while refusing to distance and mask. It's been from selfish, stupid, unnecessary behavior.

Were the overwhelmed hospitals in Texas and Florida, and the rationing of care in Texas, not enough? Do we have to just sit back and let that happen everywhere to admit that this is for real and that there is a problem?

Ridiculous statement. Are you seriously going to compare this to the flu? During the 2018-19 flu season, the US had 35,520,883 cases of the flu and 34,157 deaths. That's a mortality rate of less than 0.1%. Compared to 3.18%. Just stop.

"This was never about the virus." Stop politicizing a public health crisis.

This is no flu. Unless you are comparing Covid 19 to the 1918 flu pandemic. That's the kind of "flu" this is. :(

""From the perspective of mortality, these pandemics [are] in the same ballpark," Faust said."

FYI:

COVID-19 and 1918 Flu Mortality in NYC 'In the Same Ballpark'
Marcia Frellick
August 13, 2020

Editor's note: Find the latest COVID-19 news and guidance in Medscape's Coronavirus Resource Center.
A comparison of excess deaths in New York City during the beginning of the COVID-19 outbreak with excess deaths from the peak of the 1918 H1N1influenza outbreak finds COVID-19 mortality rates jumped higher.
Jeremy Samuel Faust, MD, an emergency physician at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts, and colleagues, found that during the peak of the H1N1 outbreak, excess deaths (the number of deaths beyond what would normally be expected for that period) were comparable to COVID-19 excess deaths in the first 2 months of the city's outbreak.
However, because death rates have dropped by half over the last century with medical advances, the relative increase in excess deaths during the COVID-19 outbreak was substantially greater than the rate during the H1N1 "Spanish flu" pandemic.

COVID-19 Mortality Jump From Baseline Was Higher
Faust told Medscape Medical News they looked at the data through two lenses.
In one comparison of all-cause mortality rates, COVID-19 is about 70% as deadly as the 1918 flu, which killed 50 million people worldwide, 675,000 in the United States.
In other words, he said, "70% as many of the people died in April of this year as died in November of 1918."

But in terms of how far the death rates jumped from pre-pandemic times, COVID-19 is worse.
The incident rate ratio for all-cause mortality during the 1918 H1N1 pandemic compared with the 3 years before jumped to almost 3 times as high (2.80).
But the incident rate ratio for all-cause mortality during the first 2 months of the pandemic in New York City compared with corresponding periods from 2017 through 2019 was more than 4 times as high (4.15).
"From the perspective of mortality, these pandemics [are] in the same ballpark," Faust said.

Figure. Deaths in New York City During the 1918 H1N1 Influenza Pandemicand the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Pandemic and During the Preceding Years of Both Pandemics
ou_200813_jama_death_rate_nyc_690x387.jpg

The study, which used public data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, The New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, and the US Census Bureau, was published online today in JAMA Network Open.

The researchers calculated the incidence rate per person-months (with 95% CIs) for October and November (61 days) from 1914 through 1918, and for March 11, 2020, through May 11, 2020 (61 days). Then they divided 61-day incident rates by two to calculate person-months (incidents per capita per month).

Medscape Medical News © 2020
Cite this: Marcia Frellick. COVID-19 and 1918 Flu Mortality in NYC 'In the Same Ballpark' - Medscape - Aug 13, 2020.

Table. Incident Rate Ratios for All-Cause Mortality
Pandemic Period (NYC) Incident Rate per 100K person-months95% CI
Peak of 1918 H1N1 influenza outbreak287.17282.71 - 291.69
First 2 months of COVID-19 outbreak202.08199.03 - 205.17

Faust said the comparisons show that, "In the case of New York, this pandemic can take its place along with 1918 as potentially that severe."

Without a vaccine, he said, the numbers could hit or surpass the 1918 influenza death toll.

As to whether New York City figures are representative of the United States as a whole, Faust said, "It could be that New York, in particular, was set up for the worst-case scenario. We will only know that in the end."

The authors write, "We believe that our findings may help officials and the public contextualize the unusual magnitude of the COVID-19 pandemic, leading to more prudent policies that may help to decrease transmission by decreasing the effective reproduction number of SARS-CoV-2 and prevent the exhaustion of essential supplies of life-saving resources in the coming weeks and beyond."

The authors note that a limitation is the lack of knowledge about how many deaths from SARS-CoV-2 infection have been prevented as a result of inventions that weren't widely available 100 years ago, including standard resuscitation, supplemental oxygen, mechanical ventilation, kidney replacement therapy, and extracorporeal membrane oxygenation.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Queenie. I know you are not arguing with me and rest assured, my feeling are not hurt by any of this. I do not take some of these people seriously...how could I???

I do participate in other parts of this board but I guess some of this is just a bit of comic relief for me. I can’t wait to read tomorrow’s episode.....Trump plans to give all Americans a free pit bull hoping It will chase off the mailman in a further attempt to disrupt mail-in voting!!! Followed by a PSA...Remember, if you are isolated, not seeing any people or going out anywhere, YOU STILL NEED A MASK. Or someone’s grannie will die...and you are a terrible person.

Your attempts to denigrate other members of Pricescope are not attractive. And what Trump has done with the Post Office is not funny.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Is this a rhetorical question or do you wish to hear an answer?

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, we can judge those with a "higher risk tolerance." We're not talking about judging those who choose not to wear a seat belt or a motorcycle helmet because they have a higher risk tolerance, because their choices in those matters affect only them. This is entirely different. You telling us not to judge them is the equivalent of telling us we shouldn't judge those who drive drunk because they just have a different "risk tolerance." Garbage.

Those who are most likely to die can't be kept safe from it, no matter how much they want to be. They still need groceries to live. They still need essential supplies. They still need medications. They still need non-COVID medical care. In some states, they will still have to show up in person and risk their lives if they want to exercise their constitutional right to vote. They still reside in senior facilities and rely on younger community members to work there and care for them. If others who figure they're not high-risk are running around increasing levels of community spread, it WILL get to those most at risk. It's happening all over the US - first the numbers went up, but not hospitalizations and deaths, because they were mostly young people who said "screw you" and partied for Memorial Day and the 4th and whatever other event. But, as time went on, the average age of new cases went up, and then hospitalizations went up, and then hospitals became overwhelmed, and then came the deaths. It's happening in my county - we'd had no new cases in nursing homes in May and June, while numbers of new cases in young people kept rising, rising, rising, all summer, and everyone said, "Oh, no big deal, it's all young people, see, hospitalizations and deaths aren't going up, blah blah blah" and I said, "Just wait." And they called me a doomer. And now? 12 different facilities in the county have multiple staff members who got infected and are infecting the residents, and one by one the residents are going into the hospitals and dying. It's heartbreaking. And beyond the facilities, the average age of new cases is going up again, we're getting double-digit increases in new hospitalizations every week..... the deaths are coming.

So yes, those of you who are going out in public for non-essential reasons and choosing to socialize with people outside your household ARE putting the lives of those of us at high-risk in danger. Even if you mask and distance, because masking and distancing helps, but doesn't eliminate transmission. Masking and distancing are meant as strategies to allow people to do NECESSARY things, like go to work and go to the grocery, with LESS, but not no, risk. It's not carte blanche to run around doing whatever you want because you want.

There are times when one wants to give a standing ovation. But one would look silly standing at the kitchen table and cheering at their computer, so the most one can do is give the post one measly like.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Your attempts to denigrate other members of Pricescope are not attractive. And what Trump has done with the Post Office is not funny.

Hell no its not funny. They were actually removing mail boxes from the streets of Montana (and who knows where else) until a reporter noticed it and got Montana's representatives to look into it. Now its 'promised' that it will stop until after the election.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@1ofakind, @whitewave and @MamaBee have talked about their experience with this virus. If you read their posts and failed to realize how awful this experience has been for them, you are lacking empathy and compassion. I’ve read your posts regarding COVID-19. You are quite clear with articulating your opinions.

My nephew has the virus. We are waiting to find out if he now tests negative after a positive test a few weeks ago. This is a nerve wracking experience for all involved, not just the person who is sick.

Willful ignorance seldom works out well in circumstances like a pandemic. I hope things continue to work out well for you. I would never wish harm on anyone.

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock

When did I or another PS member endorse giving people carte blanche to run around doing whatever they want?

You are making a slippery slope arguments and taking examples to the extreme. Without even realizing how your biases are leading to logical fallacies.

This is a free country. You are free to judge people based on anything you want. That doesn't make you superior, even if you like to believe so.

Lest you go too far in your assumptions, I am extremely careful not to infect other people. I am one of the most conscientious people at my workplace, especially about wearing masks and sanitizing my hands, even though we work with plenty of physical distancing. I bring latex gloves when I go grocery shopping and use hand sanitizer when getting takeout from the restaurant. I also haven't gone to a single social engagement or event since January or early February, and have no plans to host any social engagements, as some PS members have already done or are contemplating doing.

I just happen to think that calling people who aren't following proper masking procedures "killers" is assuming too much, and unjustified. You're innocent until proven guilty in the justice system, but evidently that does not apply in the court of public opinion, where everyone wants to play the judge.

There are times when one wants to give a standing ovation. But one would look silly standing at the kitchen table and cheering at their computer, so the most one can do is give the post one measly like.
If this is what you think deserves a standing ovation, tsk tsk, I see an echo chamber instead of critical thinking.

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@1ofakind, I too will be putting you on ignore. @whitewave and Mamabee have talked about their experience with this virus. If you read their posts and failed to realize how awful this experience has been for them, you are lacking empathy and compassion. I’ve read your posts regarding COVID-19. You are quite clear with articulating your opinions.

My nephew has the virus. We are waiting to find out if he now tests negative after a positive test a few weeks ago. This is a nerve wracking experience for all involved, not just the person who is sick.

Willful ignorance seldom works out well in circumstances like a pandemic. I hope things continue to work out well for you. I would never wish harm on anyone.

I hope he gets a negative soon. The whole experience has been exhausting and draining and defeating.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I don't think they* are actively trying to kill you but it is clear they are not all that worried about your future.

edited to add: "they" refers to your daughters, not grand-children

Could be true, but not all worries are justified. When it comes to health, there's just too many uncertainties.

For example, I could make the argument that if his daughters don't dissuade him from his diet of steak and seafood, they are not all that worried about his future... Cholesterol in those foods causing cardiovascular problems and all.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you are beginning to feel better @whitewave. I know you didn’t have the virus but don’t want to lessen how this has affected you. Your distress came thru in your posts. I felt so bad for your friend too. It would be awful to think you could have passed this on to a close friend. I’m sorry you both went thru this.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
The link below is to the highly respected Johns Hopkins. It shows the stark difference in Covid-19 cases in countries where the government response has been scientific and sane and those where it hasn't been.

We've gotten to this overwhelming point with Covid-19 through Trump sneering at our top scientists and physicians and actually encouraging people to ignore them and setting them up as targets for doing their jobs, rather than acting as his personal puppets.

It seems Trump figured that Covid-19 would hit low income populations the worst so he thought that would be a good thing to promote. It's typical Fascist BS, and has caused many, many needless deaths and counting. Opening schools at this time is just more of the same and, of course, the results will be more of the same.

While telling the American public that they really don't need to worry about "China Virus" (far more accurately called "Trump Virus" by now), he gets himself tested several times per day as well as all who come near him.

The only reason anyone still supports Trump is because he's confused them with his nonstop, unprecedented program of propaganda and lies (Fox "News" et al). It's not Reps vs. Dems, conservatives vs. liberals, black vs. white but simply Trump vs. America. Hopefully, enough people have caught on by now that Trump will be stopped and our democracy saved. Scary times, indeed.

Last edited:

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
When did I or another PS member endorse giving people carte blanche to run around doing whatever they want?

You are making a slippery slope arguments and taking examples to the extreme. Without even realizing how your biases are leading to logical fallacies.

This is a free country. You are free to judge people based on anything you want. That doesn't make you superior, even if you like to believe so.

Lest you go too far in your assumptions, I am extremely careful not to infect other people. I am one of the most conscientious people at my workplace, especially about wearing masks and sanitizing my hands, even though we work with plenty of physical distancing. I bring latex gloves when I go grocery shopping and use hand sanitizer when getting takeout from the restaurant. I also haven't gone to a single social engagement or event since January or early February, and have no plans to host any social engagements, as some PS members have already done or are contemplating doing.

I just happen to think that calling people who aren't following proper masking procedures "killers" is assuming too much, and unjustified. You're innocent until proven guilty in the justice system, but evidently that does not apply in the court of public opinion, where everyone wants to play the judge.

If this is what you think deserves a standing ovation, tsk tsk, I see an echo chamber instead of critical thinking.

You're welcome to your opinion. Like the saying goes, just like certain body parts, everyone has one.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock

I'm starting to understand how poor @Dancing Fire feels. Someone unjustly attacks me personally and when I say the least little thing in return I am made out to be the villain. Maybe we need a support group.

If I treated anyone on this forum the way I (and others) have been treated ( personal attacks, assumptions, judgement, putting into quotes and attributing to me words I never wrote...) I would expect to be at least temporarily banned, certainly not defended! But, I am nobody's favorite so let the personal attacks fly and I will just move on (granted, with a little razzing but nothing close to what has been dished out to me) while those who claim to be sensitive and tolerant defend the forum bullies. That, I would argue, is also extremely unattractive.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think they* are actively trying to kill you but it is clear they are not all that worried about your future.

edited to add: "they" refers to your daughters, not grand-children
If our daughters don't allow us to socialize with our grandkids then they are trying to kill us mentally.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could be true, but not all worries are justified. When it comes to health, there's just too many uncertainties.

For example, I could make the argument that if his daughters don't dissuade him from his diet of steak and seafood, they are not all that worried about his future... Cholesterol in those foods causing cardiovascular problems and all.
Are you talking to me??... :Up_to_something::bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results