shape
carat
color
clarity

Ivory gown (Dora) - white or ivory undergarments?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Um, silly question...For those brides who wore an ivory gown (especially Dora brides - we are now quadruplets!) did you buy a white or ivory bra/bustier? Any suggestions for where to go to buy one?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly most people I''ve spoken too recomend beige or skin tone if you can find it. Depending on the fabric of your gown and the lining... white or ivory could show through.

karasue91

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Gypsy, I''m going with skin toned undergarments. Not as pretty as white or ivory, but they won''t show through.

I''m actually considering wearing a small crinoline under mine, if I do maybe I''ll wear blue undies since they definitely won''t show through all those layers.

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
ok good point. nude color. now bra or bustier? I feel like the bustier would give my barely there chest an extra "boost" but the gown already has boning, so would that be too much to get a bustier that also has boning? Will that be too stiff and bulky? When I tried it on at the salon, I was given a bustier with boning that zipped up the front, and it didn''t seem too stiff or bulky, but maybe I wasn''t paying attention?

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Oops. By the way Karasue, you have GOT to keep posting even after you move. I will need your help!! When are you moving anyway? Is Ms. Polka Dot also from NYC? If so, we should have a Dora get together. Haha!

unjustenrichment

Rough_Rock
I had all nude colored undergarmets and my seamstress said that was the biggest mistake girls make. She said if your dress is white or ivory that you should get white undergarmets because it makes the seams of the dress disappear. Whereever the arrows are in the pic - you could see the seam because it was two layers of fabric (usually about an inch wide because the dresses are made with a lot of seam allowance) and so when I had the dress on and it was against nude it stood out as stripes. Whenever I bought a full-length white slip they did indeed disappear.

Just another opinion - guess everybody''s got one!

JBT Full Length Small with arrows.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Interesting point. I guess it depends on your gown. Mine is a heavy silk satin and my seams don''t show at all. But if you have a chiffon or georgette or something lighter, I can see how that would be a problem. Interesting.

karasue91

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/11/2007 12:53:38 PM
Author: CrownJewel
Oops. By the way Karasue, you have GOT to keep posting even after you move. I will need your help!! When are you moving anyway? Is Ms. Polka Dot also from NYC? If so, we should have a Dora get together. Haha!
Crown - I will definitely still be posting after the move. I''ll be moving to a completely new city with no friends and no FI for possibly 3 months!! My job is making me transfer now and he needs to wait till March to move.

Therefore I will probably be posting all over the place just for support!!!

I''m not sure where MPD is from, I feel like I saw her on the NYC board on the Knot but I could just be thinking of the Dress board. Hopefully she''ll see this and reply.

Also, I can see unjustenrichment''s point....if you get white or ivory you wouldn''t be able to see the line where the bustier stops anyways since the dress isn''t supertight around the hips. just make sure to get a bustier that has a bit of a plunge between the cups so it doesnt show!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2007 12:00:51 PM
Author:CrownJewel
Um, silly question...For those brides who wore an ivory gown (especially Dora brides - we are now quadruplets!) did you buy a white or ivory bra/bustier? Any suggestions for where to go to buy one?
Try to always wear flesh colored underwear. It will dissappear under the dress; white and ivory will not.

You girls are way ahead of me...I haven''t started of thinking about undergarments yet!

And yes!! I am in NYC! I would love nothing more than a Dora meetup! How fun would that be?!

I have a very important question that I will need your advice on, as soon as I locate my usb cord so I can post the pic of me in it! But I am contemplating altering the neckline so that it''s not so deep - to look like the Tiffany (the other swiss dot one MS did the year before Dora...2005?) I am not huge on top but I''m a small c cup and I am just worried that it is too low cut on me! I am going to post a pic within a few days, so I will reopen this issue for official comment!
2.gif

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
My dress was basically non-see through, so I guess I could get away with anything. I wore a sort of off white long line bra (P.S. long line bras are GREAT for smoothing everything out) As for my other undergarments...well, they were my "something blue" (like I said, the dress was nice and opaque).

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
I wore nude undergarments --a nude strapless bra and a spanx-like bike short--you won''t need to worry too much about the color b/c there are several layers b/w the undergarment and the organza so i don''t think anything will show thru

Only problem i had: since the bust is overlapping material it doesn''t sit really close to the skin. I found my bra peeked thru or was visible from certain angles. I partly remedied this problem by sewing the bra right into dress so it wouldn''t shift around but on the day of I had to used two-sided tape to keep the material down
(i think this was a problem b/c i lost a lot of weight between my last fitting and my wedding day and my boobs were like -A cups--not a good thing, so it may not be an issue for girls with a bit more on top ;-)

Future Mrs polka dot:--i did alter the top of my Dora a bit--it was sewn so that the overlap was closed up a bit more (thus reducing the clevage factor) I don''t know if you can tell from my pics (from old posts), but that can give u an idea of what it would look like. It was a tiny alteration.
Is your wedding swiss-dot themed as well? I don''t know if you saw my earlier posts but my wedding had very subtle ''dot'' touches (the motif I drew in tiny dots was used on favour tags, invites, candy bags etc., my flowers had blooms with tiny dot-like buds, even the chocolates at our candy station included retro chocolates that were covered in those tiny dot candy balls. Not sure if anyone really noticed, but i felt it created a fun, yet still really elegant feel....i love swiss dot!
3.gif

Date: 12/11/2007 9:28:51 PM
Author: Jas12

Future Mrs polka dot:--i did alter the top of my Dora a bit--it was sewn so that the overlap was closed up a bit more (thus reducing the clevage factor) I don''t know if you can tell from my pics (from old posts), but that can give u an idea of what it would look like. It was a tiny alteration.
Is your wedding swiss-dot themed as well? I don''t know if you saw my earlier posts but my wedding had very subtle ''dot'' touches (the motif I drew in tiny dots was used on favour tags, invites, candy bags etc., my flowers had blooms with tiny dot-like buds, even the chocolates at our candy station included retro chocolates that were covered in those tiny dot candy balls. Not sure if anyone really noticed, but i felt it created a fun, yet still really elegant feel....i love swiss dot!
3.gif
Hi Jas - OOh, that is so good to know! I''m so afraid of messing it up in some way! So you ordered it as is and then had the seamstress do the sewing together?

I am trying to incorporate some small touches of swiss dots - I love them too! I would love to have (elegant!) polka dots on our invitations, and some sort of preppy pink polka tie tie for my groom :) And a swiss dot cake, of course!

I am going to look through your old posts for your dot ideas! I''m so excited! Any good tips? Is there a pic of your invite online anywhere? Thanks again!
1.gif

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your advice Jas! I think you started Dora mania!!! This is so cool... I was just thinking how lucky I am to now have 3 sources of advice for anything Dora related.

Since falling in love with the gown, I am totally obsessed with all things swiss dot. I have a black bra that I've had for a long time. It has swiss dots on the hook straps. Now my "new" (but actually old) favorite bra. I saw a pair of swiss dot boyshorts that I want too!!!!

Our invites will probably be very very very simple. We were going to have a fleur-de-lis symbol on our invites, but now I'm thinking of doing without the fleur-de-lis and just having a swiss dot tissue in between each part of the invitation. FI doesn't know about my dress, so how do I convince him to let go of the fleur-de-lis theme in favor of the swiss dot instead? Hmmmm... I think having two themes is overkill. What do you think?

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Miss Polka dot--you won''t mess up the dress by altering the neck-line--my dress was ordered as is and the seamstress did the alteration- it was really minor (my mom said she could do it herself but we just left it with the seamstress to be safe)
It made a big difference for the fit and my comfort level.
There was another Dora bride getting fitted at the same time as me--I am an A cup and she was around a D---she had the opposite problem (the overlap on the bust did not give her enough coverage) I don''t know what she ended up doing--she didn''t look happy, but b/c that neckline is not really ''fitted'' it needs a little creative manipulation for the less and well endowed. B''s and C''s should have an easier time (lucky gals)

I love all this Dora talk--it''s funny, there was not much about this dress ANYWHERE on the web when I was planning. I couldn''t even find another picture of the dress other than the MS website--now it seems pretty popular.
Swiss-dot stuff is everywhere (but it''s also classic so it''s just on an upswing) . Beware girls, you''ll see it in your sleep. I was sooooo worried that i would ''hate'' dots by the time i had to wear the dress. DH was getting so sick of me talking about my dot-fear. It was weird. I only saw my dress in person once prior to going to my first fitting and I had worked myself up over the dots--when i went to my first fitting I laughed at myself b/c really they are quite subtle. DH said he could have never imagined a dress like that and has never seen one like it- so he really loved it and couldn''t believe I was worried about being too ''trendy'' or ''dotty'' hehe....
I must not have gotten over the obsession b/c now that i am pregnant I have baby-stuff that has the swiss-dot pattern on it
9.gif

Crown-jewel---i did have two themes. I got married on Canada Day so i had canadian touches (the table names were significant canadian places/things that were meaningful to us, my cocktails were canadian colours with strawberry garnish skewers that I attached funny canadian quotes to, canadian cuisine, music and outdoor setting. It was not a ''visual'' theme, but a second theme nonetheless. You can do what ever you like, so don''t worry about that!

okay, enough with my rambling--hope i am not boring you girls!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results