shape
carat
color
clarity

I''ve got shoe questions!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
1. I am finding a ton of shoes I like that are white or ivory. But, I don''t want white or ivory shoes. Can you dye any satin shoe? Or, is there something about shoes specifically labeled dyeable that makes them take the color?

2. How did you decide on heels vs. flats? FI is so much taller than me that I could wear stilts and still be okay, but I am worried about comfort. I love heels for the first hour or two, but by the end of the night, I am ready to throw them out and wishing I was wearing Crocs. I won''t, though, give up on a pair of shoes mid-night, so doing heels and flats is not an option.

3. Can heels change the proportion of your dress? I know this might sound crazy, but when I try on my dress, I feel that it looks different depending on whether I am wearing heels or flats with it. Is this real or psychological?

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
1. Have you seen the Dyeables shoe line? Or Coloriffics? There are a few shoes made for dyeing. I don''t know that you can do it to any satin shoe. Perhaps?

2. If you are ready to give up on heels after an hour but don''t want to change from heels to flats, then I''d get flats.

3. Maybe? I know I feel taller (well, duh) and leaner wearing em. Not sure really sure on this one!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
1. I have no idea what makes some satin shoes dyeable and others not. I have a feeling it has something to do with the sizing (coating on the fibers) they put on during manufacturing of the fabric to make it more accepting to dye. Who knows though? It could all be some great big wedding/prom industry hoax!

2. I couldn''t have chosen heels because I am taller than FI but I think that even if I were in your situation I would have gone with flats. They are just more comfortable and you might be in them for many many hours.

3. I do think that wearing heels changed our posture a bit. I feel like when I am wearing heels my behind sticks out a little more because of the way the heels align my spine. I could just have poor posture though. Perhaps this is what you''re picking up when you put on heels?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
1. Not sure about satins. I would prefer to know for sure if it is dyeable though.

2. I would probably love to do flats for the comfort factor, but I love my heels. As we all know. So I went for the 4 inch Sashays for the ceremony, but knowing how high they are, and how much walking there is in Vegas, lead me to getting a pair of 3 inchers. FI is 7+ inches taller than I am, so I could wear whatever shoes that I wanted. What if you go for a midheel? Or a lower heel? Or a platform?

3. That is a good question. I''m assuming it does at least a little bit...

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone! I had to pick up a pair of shoes at a repair shop this weekend and the owner told me that some satin can hold dye, but he would have to see the shoe first to know, and it wouldn''t be guaranteed. I guess it would be silly to ruin a couple-hundred-dollar-pair of shoes by dyeing them if they cannot hold the dye.

I am had a bad experience with Dyeables once for a formal. They dyed my feet purple for about 2 weeks and were terribly uncomfortable. Does anyone know what stores sell them, so I could try them on before ordering?

I think the decision I made (at least for now--I still have two months) is to wear smaller heels for the ceremony and then flats for the party. I am guessing that if I get my dress altered for 1.5-2" heels, it should be okay to then wear flats. Does this sound right?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 7:01:11 PM
Author: katamari
Thanks everyone! I had to pick up a pair of shoes at a repair shop this weekend and the owner told me that some satin can hold dye, but he would have to see the shoe first to know, and it wouldn''t be guaranteed. I guess it would be silly to ruin a couple-hundred-dollar-pair of shoes by dyeing them if they cannot hold the dye.

I am had a bad experience with Dyeables once for a formal. They dyed my feet purple for about 2 weeks and were terribly uncomfortable. Does anyone know what stores sell them, so I could try them on before ordering?

I think the decision I made (at least for now--I still have two months) is to wear smaller heels for the ceremony and then flats for the party. I am guessing that if I get my dress altered for 1.5-2'' heels, it should be okay to then wear flats. Does this sound right?
I LOATHE Dyeables, Coloriffics, and Touchups. They HURT my feet, so I never suggest them for brides here, even though they have cute styles. There is a locally based store here that sells them but I don''t know if a nationwide chain that sells them. I also had a bad experience with Dyeables that dyed my feet bright pink and I really didn''t want to replicate that experience (I was 6 and I still remember how traumatizing it was).

As for heel height, I''m planning on getting my dress hemmed for my second pair of shoes (the 3 inch heels instead of the 4 inchers) so I don''t have any trouble walking later. I think I read somewhere that you should get your dress hemmed 1/2 an inch off the ground anyway? Has anyone else heard this?

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 7:11:09 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Date: 2/23/2009 7:01:11 PM

Author: katamari

I think the decision I made (at least for now--I still have two months) is to wear smaller heels for the ceremony and then flats for the party. I am guessing that if I get my dress altered for 1.5-2'' heels, it should be okay to then wear flats. Does this sound right?

I LOATHE Dyeables, Coloriffics, and Touchups. They HURT my feet, so I never suggest them for brides here, even though they have cute styles. There is a locally based store here that sells them but I don''t know if a nationwide chain that sells them. I also had a bad experience with Dyeables that dyed my feet bright pink and I really didn''t want to replicate that experience (I was 6 and I still remember how traumatizing it was).

As for heel height, I''m planning on getting my dress hemmed for my second pair of shoes (the 3 inch heels instead of the 4 inchers) so I don''t have any trouble walking later. I think I read somewhere that you should get your dress hemmed 1/2 an inch off the ground anyway? Has anyone else heard this?

I like the 1/2 inch idea. Especially since my dress and jewelry will be simple, I want my shoes to be my statement. Hopefully this is true!

Ugh. Yes, a general boo for Dyeables. I am pretty sure I won''t go in this direction because of it--with another week in Ecuador after the wedding, I want to be able to wear sandals and not have to worry about having my feet look like they have frostbite
20.gif

jjdav

Shiny_Rock
Just a couple of thoughts, I also find the dyable shoes rather uncomfortable, but on the flip side, for my friend''s wedding, I was not able to find the right shoes, so I went ahead and used NAIL POLISH to color the shoes, they came out fine.

Have you thought about maybe getting platforms? Also I''ve seen people ''dress up'' their more comfortable shoes by using brooches and gluing other accessories onto their shoes to make them stand out.

Cheers

P.S. Apparently high heels shifts your center of gravity and forces your leg and buttom muscles to tighten and gives you some shape
emwink.gif
, also tends to pull most people''s shoulders back when you''re balancing in heels.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results