shape
carat
color
clarity

I''ve been sitting on my Asscher for nearly 3 years...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

asquareguy

Rough_Rock
Hi Folks,

I have hung around here since Feb 2003, when I started my search for general info/research on diamonds. At the same time I came here I went to another consumer site, not (then) knowing the differences between them. I now know this site to be far and away the superior site, considering the involvement of Pro and non-pro, especially the friendlier environment.

I started by looking at B/M stores where I live in So Cal, some extremely rude and haughty, some friendly, many overpriced, but none having the true detailed knowledge that I found (over time) here at PScope, and definitely a meager inventory. So then, I migrated my search online and quickly found Blue Nile and almost pulled the trigger on a stone there, but one more Google search brought me here, Yea! Saved!

After a glowing review of service and selection at WhiteFlash from a PriceScoper, I went to them for help. I eventually bought a square cut emerald, D-VVS2, fab stats, and great price, from WhiteFlash. I actually was fine with going as far as an F (I found by looking at many stones in the LA diamond district that I was color sensitive, and G was not white enough for my eyes), but this stone popped up and was similarly priced as the F's. (This point was one that got me verbally trounced by a vendor on the other site, yuchh - bad taste in my mouth !)

Ok, enough about the old stuff, onto the new:

So, I am obsessive/Compulsive and as the ring is for me, I continued on to the ring design, I will not bore you (too late, I know...) with those details, but I chose Bruce Boone for a simple ring, but....... along the years here, I found out about colored diamonds, dangerous for me, since I am intrigued by the rare. I fould a set of 6 Fancy Blue melee (natural, TCW .27), that WhiteFlash will be setting into a Platinum Wedding band for me. In fact, the Boone ring is on it's way to TX right now, so they can get similar style details from his ring into theirs.

I chose to have 2 rings, because I work with my hands, and may not always wear the Asscher ring, and then I'll have the option to wear both, one, or the other.

My guy and I have been together 14 years this month, but he proposed years ago when same-sex marriage seemed imminent, maybe New Jersey will come through this year. Bruce Boone will also make my guy's Wedding ring, which will be Titanium, inlayed with Platinum, coordinating with my two rings in the different metals.

But my main point with this long post, (sorry, I should have posted a warning) is Thank You to all here, I have learned much over the last years. I am sure that my patience in finalizing design(s) will more than pay off due to the input from PriceScopers!

Thanks all,

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
welcome back asquareguy! it sounds like you are putting together a real stunner!
3.gif
i look forward to more of your posts and to ......pictures!
36.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your soon-to-be new rings. Can''t wait to see pics!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

asquareguy

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 4:07:28 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
Congratulations on your soon-to-be new rings. Can''t wait to see pics!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
AmberGretchen,

You cant wait to see pics? Neither can I!

I don''t know if Bruce took pics of his ring, but I will ask Bob at WF to take some to hold me over until their ring is done. I have been staring at those naked stones for soooo loooong, that I want to see them IN something!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh wow! is that your stone in your avatar!?
18.gif

it looks like a beauty!
maybe you could tide us over with some pictures of it.
20.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
congrats on the many happy years! :) three whole years huh? I've already had my stone a few months, unset.... I hope I don't wait that long!!! is the avatar a pic of your stone? How big is the asscher? There's another man here, kenny, looking to set an asscher for himself :) Well hurry up alreqdy and post something - anything... haha.... gotta go and see if you posted the rock a few years ago....I hope you did to carry me over ;-)

ETA: no.... but I did get a little lesson on Vatche' LOL!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well welcome back!!!
35.gif
I can''t wait to see the end result of all your research and patience...the SE ring as well as the band with blue melee....they both sound divine.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes Yes Yes.
More pics please.

I'm also an asscherhead sitting on a stone.
But I don't think I'll wait three years.

I just had a round WF ACA set by Bruce and he really does excellent work!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, can''t wait to see your rings!!

And, yet another Asscher to drool over....

*wondering if anyone ever really gets away with robbing banks*
9.gif

asquareguy

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 4:52:20 PM
Author: kenny
Yes Yes Yes.
More pics please.

I''m also an asscherhead sitting on a stone.
But I don''t think I''ll wait three years.

You said you are going to put the asscher in a Boone titanium/platinum ring.
Is it this one?

squaredbackwithplatinum1.jpg

I just had a round WF ACA set by Bruce and he really does excellent work!
Kenny,

That actually was one of the first ideas for my ring, but the profile was too "Cathedral" for me = feminine in my mind. I had a good hunch early on about Bruce, after speaking with ALL of the major tension folks in Canada, Germany and here in the states (P.S. none of the Ti tension folks would set this stone - "only Rounds"), so I moved on, but still liked the idea of Titanium + Platinum - somehow together. Then I found the blues, and decided that I did not want the SE and the blues to compete in the same ring, plus I wanted the flexibility to wear the engagement and wedding separately. I decided on his "Ellipsoid" Ellipsoid setting by Bruce Boone , after that, knowing the quality of WF''s work (Bruce prefers not to hammer set mellee, and does not do solid PLAT rings, only inlays), I talked to WF, and since Bob is a colored diamond fan, he offered to work with me on design.

What I have not decided on, is whether I will have any white WF ACA melee with the blues. I am on the fence after seeing this ring (will try to post, little newbie at adding pics where I need them) OK, it won''t let me post a 2nd pic
8.gif
) I would love input on this from any and all...

tera adrastea.jpg

asquareguy

Rough_Rock
Sorry Folks, I am having a dickens of a time attaching pics, I think it might have soething to do with just changing over to IE7, my browser has been acting weird since changing over, not to mention that I can not find all the tools...grr

Any way the stats:

(Oh, yes, the avatar IS the stone)

D-VVS2, 2 pinpoints
5.47X 5.70X3.59 (1.04 L/W)
Table - 55.6%
Depth - 65.6%
Crown ht - 14.4%
Girdle - Slightly Thick

I chose this girdle thickness specifically because of my choice to go with tension setting, also the L/W ratio works for me because the setting will "eat" a little of the sides, with the illusion being that it is square (GIA considers 1.06 and under square, I was told).

I did get to look at the stone with the appraiser, which was very cool. But verrry hard to find those pinpoints, I'll tell you.

KittenKat

Shiny_Rock
asquareguy - you sound absolutely adorable.

Add me to the ''wanting to see pics'' club.

My husband''s wedding band is going to have a small, fancy blue baguette in it. I have yet to locate the PERFECT stone. But I can''t wait to see how yours turns out.

Where are you in SoCal? I am in West LA - and can let you know of a few great places out this way!

asquareguy

Rough_Rock
Well, I finally got this to upload (I think).

This is what I saw that made me think of blue and white melee together in a simple band.

So, just the blues, the blues alternating with WF ACA''s, what do you think?

Would the addition of white stones make the blues "pop" ?

224_2.jpg

asquareguy

Rough_Rock
Kitten,

Your ring is beautiful, I remember your story well. Good luck on finding that stone for Hubby, I have been trying to get my guy to take one of my blues a la this photo, but he absolutely refuses. Find as many reputable colored diamond sources out there and put your name with them with exactly what your looking for, maybe they will find something for you. Have you talked with Icestore http://www.icestore.com/ ? they are close to you. I am in Long Beach, not too far.

plat w 1 stone.jpg

KittenKat

Shiny_Rock
Personally, I say - blues only!

I think the single color will really, really pop on its own. I prefer it with one color. That''s what I would do!

Although... it looks great with white as well. No matter what your choice, I think both will be beautiful and unique.

I have a couple of people hunting for my perfect blue baggy. (My hubby ONLY wants a baguette - he doesn''t like round stones. He actually doesn''t like ''bling'' for himself.)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this the Boone tension setting you are planning on setting your asscher in?
IF so I think it is perfect.
I like the thicker band of platinum.
I didn't see this on his website.
Is it custom?

teraadrastea.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asquareguy, what does SE stand for?

asquareguy

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 7:38:10 PM
edit
Kenny,

No, that is a ring I envisioned and asked Bruce to make me 2+ years ago, but his inlay goes over the edge (into the opening for the diamond), and I did not want that.

The ring in that pic is by another company, designed recently (after I found the blues and went to a 2-ring idea) and it is very nice. If I was only going to have one ring I would do that, but they told me in no uncertain terms they would only do rounds.

asquareguy

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 7:39:36 PM
Asquareguy, what does SE stand for?
Sorry Kenny, forgot that part - Square Emerald. I used SE as it had been in an earlier reply further up.

Funny thing, 3 years ago, I was one of the few guys here, and before Asschers became hot hot hot. If I got my ring done then, I am sure I would have been one of the first, but as it is, I have only seen one on a person, in public. The rest have been in magazines, here on PS or in jewelry stores.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bruce told me he would set my asscher but because it is deeper it had to go into one of the designs like I posted above or one similar to this.
I'd rather it went into a tension setting like you posted but it is too deep.
If the ring was the same depth all the way around it would be too bulky.

venusflat1.jpg

SE, square emerald. Of course. Thanks

asquareguy

Rough_Rock
Kenny,

Yes, but yours is 2+ cts, right? It would need that depth to hold a larger stone.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Maybe I could gouge out a hole in the top of my finger.

Scott Terence

Shiny_Rock
The ellipsoid is def a great design, will he be making it offset or will the ring thickness match the depth of your stone? Its always good to see more men''s rings since the designs of old were so clunky and uninspired, I am sure yours will Rock! Good luck and congrats on your relationship :)

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 7:55:20 PM

Maybe I could gouge out a hole in the top of my finger.
Ewwww, reminds me of that episode of Dr. 90210 where some lady wanted to implant her 3 carat diamond into her wrist!
40.gif

Asquareguy, I vote for all blues!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d go with all blues too.
Can''t wait to see them.

asquareguy

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 7:56:28 PM
Author: Scott 00
The ellipsoid is def a great design, will he be making it offset or will the ring thickness match the depth of your stone? Its always good to see more men's rings since the designs of old were so clunky and uninspired, I am sure yours will Rock! Good luck and congrats on your relationship :)
Scott,

Nice to hear from another guy, great taste in your rings, I'll say ! Once I was certain I did not want a round stone, I read your posts and Mara's to see Men's rings with stones other than round, finally settling on the SE, funny, also - that topic was raised by Kenny a little bit ago (masculinity).

I believe it is offset to allow for the extra depth Asschers carry.

Kenny, when I found that ring you commented on (at TitaniumEra) http://www.titaniumera.com/index.php?cid=678&locale=1 I found this pic, which was an inspiration for 2 rings. Until this pic, I had not seen a SET that did not look feminine. So I decided to go for it, but with the twist of adding my blues.
9.gif

matte with wedding ring.jpg

Scott Terence

Shiny_Rock
Btw what type of finish were you going to have done... as you can see from some of my hand pics that I posted of my pair of rings (not that I can pull off that much bling in real life)... the brushed finish makes the Ti darker and the Plat looks pretty white still.

I have a Ti ring with a satin/matte finish and high polish... half and half and people always seem to think its made of two metals! But while I havent needed to redo the finish its definitely less sturdy than the brushed (which I have "fixed" with a scotch brite pad). Just curious what you were going to have done... oh and thanks for your compliments
9.gif
They are appreciated!

asquareguy

Rough_Rock

Scott,

I asked Bruce for the satin finish, the tricky part will be WF trying to match his satin finsh, and me trying to maintain 2 rings of differing metals, not always worn together, to a similar finish.............we''ll see if it can be done.

(I did read a few comments about the Scotch green pad trick, so this finsh choice had been decide for a while, it was this pic that cemented it, especially after the wearer''s comments of her happiness after changing to the satin, having prviously being polished)

satin.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 5:58:00 PM
Author: asquareguy
Well, I finally got this to upload (I think).

This is what I saw that made me think of blue and white melee together in a simple band.

So, just the blues, the blues alternating with WF ACA''s, what do you think?

Would the addition of white stones make the blues ''pop'' ?
hmmm..... it looks like this ring has 8 stones - 4 of each.... to get 6 of each you''d have them closer together and I kinda like them spaced like this.... you could have the two extra blues set with the asscher, but you mentioned you didn''t want that.... you could set like two blues one white two blues one white for a total of 9 stones - that might be cool! the two blues could represent your individuality and the whites your unity :)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 7:56:28 PM
Author: Scott 00
The ellipsoid is def a great design, will he be making it offset or will the ring thickness match the depth of your stone? Its always good to see more men''s rings since the designs of old were so clunky and uninspired, I am sure yours will Rock! Good luck and congrats on your relationship :)
once these two guys get their rings done you should all form a "Men love diamonds too" thread on smtr and drag rod into it :D

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results