shape
carat
color
clarity

I've been promoted!

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
After 3 years of constant dogged determination to impress the higher-ups at work, I have finally succeeded!

Lil Misfit's thread got me thinking how how the politics of my own promotion happened, and how I handled NOT getting it the first time/how I treated the person who DID get it led me to getting it the second time.

This spring, I interviewed for a very hotly contested position and didn't get it. I was disappointed because the feedback I had gotten in regards to my interview performance was very positive. It turned out that they had revoked the position because they were downsizing a manager from elsewhere and had decided to shoehorn her into our department instead of letting her go. The Director privately let me know that until they yanked the position away from her in the name of 'management restructuring', she had planned to make the offer to me!

Rather than being resentful of the new addition and her getting the position that 'should' have gone to me (it wasn't her fault, after all), I went out of my way to make her transition easier and helped her to seamlessly integrate into the team. I carried on working as hard as ever and didn't complain about how things had happened.

A few weeks ago, a manager who was long overdue to be fired was finally given the sack, and rather than open up the entire interview process all over again, the Director decided that since the last spot was 'supposed' to go to me, they would go ahead and re-offer it if I was still interested. Was I? Was I ever! :cheeky:

I do not doubt that things could have gone differently if I hadn't treated the new manager the way I did, as it showed me to be a strong colleague in addition to the skills and abilities that netted me the would-be offer the first time around.

It did make things awkward between my former co-workers as they had been blithely planning what they would do differently on the second round of interviews, as I could not tell them I had been offered the position and that there would be no second round of interviews. :blackeye: They were a little resentful that I didn't let them know, but until things were official and the paperwork had been processed, no one was allowed to know other than the Director and me.

I would love to hear people's stories about their adventures in being newly promoted!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your promotion, Galateia! That's exciting news.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Woohoooo! Congratulations, Galateia!

I hope you have fun celebrating!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations, Gala! It sounds like you were extremely professional in a tough situation-well-played! Well not played, exactly, but you know what I mean! :cheeky: I'm sure your colleagues will get over their resentment soon enough.

Have you started your new position yet? If so, how do you like it so far?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats!! Such great news :)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well congratulations! You clearly earned it! And they finally saw it.

cnkav

Shiny_Rock
Congrats!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Amazing news!! Congrats Gala!

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
thing2of2|1315780616|3015306 said:
Congratulations, Gala! It sounds like you were extremely professional in a tough situation-well-played! Well not played, exactly, but you know what I mean! :cheeky: I'm sure your colleagues will get over their resentment soon enough.

It's more or less what I was doing before, but with more access and abilities to get things done more quickly and smoothly, within some additional responsibilities and perks.

I should start getting full access to things in the next two weeks. I am so excited! :appl:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Galateia|1315784562|3015393 said:
thing2of2|1315780616|3015306 said:

It's more or less what I was doing before, but with more access and abilities to get things done more quickly and smoothly, within some additional responsibilities and perks.

I should start getting full access to things in the next two weeks. I am so excited! :appl:

Awesome-I bet you can't wait to get going!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! It's great when deserving people get promotions! Best of luck in your new position!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
congrats! you are a wonderrful role model.....karma certainly was observant!

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! That's wonderful news.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on taking the high road the first time around, and of course on getting that promotion!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!!! I hope we can find reason to overcome your ennui and get you to post more Galateia.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations, Galateia :!: :appl: :appl:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations honey!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!

jas

Brilliant_Rock
I love it when good things happen to the right people, just as in this case! Whoo!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Gala - I just wanted to drop in and say congratulations!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats! persistent, hard work, positive attitude goes a long way, and it shows!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on the promotion.

Yes, staying professional is absolutely the way to go.

I was laid off two years ago after 24 years at the same company. I decided that I did not want people's last memory of me to be of a sad, unhappy person, so I kept my head up and a smile on my face.

I was rehired by the same firm this spring. :praise: You just never know what the future will bring. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results