shape
carat
color
clarity

it''s time for that question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rasprer

Rough_Rock
hi everyone,

It''s about that time to ''pop'' that question, but before doing so, I need a RING!! I am highly considering one from Tiffany''s. The classic Tiffany setting with a round diamond is my choice. I''ve been reading a lot of posts, and of course, there are those who oppose Tiffany''s and those who are highly entrigued with Tiffany. ME..well, I would like to get a Tiffany ring, but I would like to have some money left over for a downpayment for a house, etc, etc. But I do have about 10K to spend. Does anyone have a Tiffany Ring for sale? Or, does anyone know of a place where I can find a setting very similiar to Tiffany''s Classic. I guess I am guilty with knowing that she will be so happy with that ''Tiffany'' name engraved on the ring..and to tell you the truth so would I.

So, does anyone have any advice.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Try eBay. Every so often someone sells a Tiffany.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, No, No, there have been numerous posts about fake 'Tiffany' rings for sale on Ebay and recently there was a post on one of the forums that Tiffany & Co were suing one particular sellar on ebay. I think unless you know someone personally I would not buy it as the stone may have been changed with a cubic zirconia or poorer quality diamond. It it up to you ofcourse entirely but if I wanted Tiffany I would only purchase it from Tiffany & Co. However, others have come on here emphatic that nothing but Tiffany would do and gone away with a better quality bigger diamond for the same price. Read some more stories and review prices online and at Tiffany's. Whatever you do I would say take some time and do not make up your mind in say 2 weeks.
Hope you make the right decision for you.

There is no doubt that if reselling Tiffany would probably make more money(but you do not think about that when getting engaged ofcourse.) The name is worth something you know not just the little blue box. I wonder, however, how many people would be put off by wondering if the ring had been dismantled and reset etc. I personally tend to think that maybe the vintage Tiffany rings are what are worth something. An appraiser or Tiffany representative would ofcourse have to inspect the ring and make sure it is a Tiffany or I would not put out that kind of money for it.

Moosejaw

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I wouldnt buy from Tiffany.

rasprer

Rough_Rock
Thanks Pyramid....I was thinking about actually purchasing a ring on Ebay..There are quite a few. Here is a couple links that I was interested in and what I would pay for them if I meet the reserve.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2633899589

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2633718428

The price for the 1.24K would be $7500 and the price for the .70k would be $3500. After reading some posts here yesterday, I read someone stating that if you purchase from ebay, ask the seller if they use ESCROW.com. I asked them and they said 'NO'. In any case, They do sound legitimate. I acutally called them as well and were quite personable. Also, they answered all my questions via email very promptly. But I still was so 'scared' in purchasing it..maybe knowing I would get ripped off. What do you think of the rings?

Also, My fiance is not so much interested in the size of the diamond. I think that if she gets less than a 1ct and a tiffany setting..that would make her glow. She is about 5'4" and 105lbs with tiny/skinny fingers. Do you think a .75 would be too small? I figure maybe on our 10Anniversary or something, I would then get her a bigger diamond. But I am thinking that less than 1ct would be too small.

Moosejaw

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hey rasperer, check you email.
1.gif
I sen you some info.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both rings look good to me but I am just a consumer and have never seen a Tiffany ring before. Maybe one of the experts would be able to comment. It says they come with certificates. I have read that the fake ones are also stamped Tiffany & Co as well so I do not know what to look for. Pity to miss the chance if they are genuine but worse after the fact if they are not.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
For a setting very similar to the Tiffany's setting, try Vatche. Their royal crown setting is extremely close. Some purists feel it isn't close enough, but I think most would agree it's just as nice unless you intend to walk around with your eyeballs glued about an inch from the ring inspecting it.

I'd absolutely stay away from eBay on this one for a few reasons. Tiffany's service warranties only extend to the original purchaser/owner of the ring. Unless you plan on telling your girl that you got her Tiffany ring on eBay, she may assume that she is entitled to all the "service perks", only to be rudely awakened when she walks into Tiff's. Also, withouth reams of documentation and second/third opinions from appraisers to verify that it's truly a Tiffany, you are taking a HUGE gamble with a pretty big chunk of change.

Finally, just a personal opinion. I can understand the allure some may have with the "Tiffany's" name. But it kind of loses it's "wow" factor when it's purchased from an online auction secondhand. An engagement ring is such a personal thing....it's hard to imagine saying, "Hey, honey, as a token of my love, I got you a Tiffany ring....I shopped for your engagement ring *on Ebay*." Ebay is great for most things, don't get me wrong, I love them. But, if you're purchasing for the name brand and the status, then do it right at get it from the real deal. The point of buying a Tiffany's ring is that it's exclusive because most people cannot afford to shop there, and trying to get an exclusive item on the cheap just seems to defeat the purpose.

Whatever you decide on, good luck.

rasprer

Rough_Rock
aljdewey, Very Good Advice..Thanks!! Also, I think I may have found a place where I find their settings to be so beautiful... Here's the link!! Let me know all your thoughts on a few of these settings....your suggestions are appreciated.

http://www.renaissanceplatinum.com/engagement.asp

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results