shape
carat
color
clarity

It''s Oscar Night - Who''s Watching?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree NK''s dress had a Seuss like look, and she looks odd in the face, too much botox maybe?

I love George Clooney and I really thought Naomi''s necklace was amazing but the dress was just EHHCH. Not flattering. Kate Winslet is a lot younger than I thought, she was pretty but did not love the color of her dress, it was too washed out.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
urgh, i find NK so hard to look at!! i watched the oprah oscar special thursday night. NK was on it. her forehead NEVER budged. not one bit!!! creepy!!

maybe i''m the only one, but i loved Cameron D''s dress. i thought it looked great on her. i also loved reese and penelope! loved their dresses.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
This was the first year that I didn''t think anyone looked gawd awful. Anyone remember "swan girl"?
23.gif

I thought Meryl Streep looked kinda cool. Certainly not Oscar worthy cool - but just secure enough to wear what she wanted. It didn''t surprise me that Eddie Murphy did not win. Alan Arkin is far more likeable with the voting population. Other than that, all the performances nominated were really strong this year.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
What in the world is Pan''s Labyrinth? That movie took nearly all the awards I was hoping would go to Pirates of the Caribbean.

I totally agree with the comedian skit/song. The movies that regular people like nearly always get shut out. Comedies certainly do. I wish Jim Carrey would do more comedies, but I think he''s too busy trying to establish a "real" acting career.

widget

Ideal_Rock
I was fascinated by the silouette/shadow dancers. I wished I had slo-mo instant replay to figure out how they did that!

widget

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2007 10:52:14 AM
Author: NYCsparkle
anyone else think cameron diaz is NOT aging well...her new nose doesn't look so hot either
I've seen photos of Cameron without makeup and she has very blotchy & sun damaged skin. She does a lot of surfing, so I'm guessing she's not in the habit of wearing sunscreen!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought Helen Mirren looked stunning in her dress. Nicole Kidman did as well...very statuesque to the point of almost surreal proportions!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2007 1:58:10 PM
Author: codex57
What in the world is Pan''s Labyrinth? That movie took nearly all the awards I was hoping would go to Pirates of the Caribbean.
I had never heard of it either! I looked it up on Netflix (and it''s not out on DVD yet, still playing in some theatres)

"In this fairy tale for adults, 10-year-old Ofelia (Ivana Baquero) stumbles on a decaying labyrinth guarded by Pan (Doug Jones), an ancient satyr who claims to know her destiny. With a new home, a new stepfather (Sergi Lopez) -- a Fascist officer in the pro-Franco army -- and a new sibling on the way, nothing is familiar to Ofelia in this multiple Oscar-nominated tale set in 1944 Spain from director Guillermo del Toro. "

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i saw it in toronto last september and actually spoke to the director, guillermo del torro.

PAN''S LABRYNTH is the sister story to THE DEVIL''S BACKBONE. both are set in franco spain. in Pan it is a girl trying to make sense of what is going on and in Devil it is a young boy....hence, guillermo described them as brother and sister films.

Pan''s Labrynth is now playing here [california]. it is an incredible film. terri gross did an interview with him that you might be able to find at her website.

i have been a fan of guillermo''s films for some time but Pan''s set a new high.

and just in case, this is not for children. it is an adult fairy tale. guillermo has studied the history of such tales and owns quite a collection. he''s also quite versed re franco spain....especially after wwII. quite interesting that spanish freedom fighters fought against the nazis in france because the allies were to assist them then against franco.....but the allies decided to live with franco instead. much like the french communisits that fought against the nazis in collaboration with the allies only to have the allies turn on them.

movie zombie

ps i don''t watch the oscars.........

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't watch the Oscars but I did see some red carpet shots online.

Most beautiful: Cate Blanchett, Rachel Weisz, Helen Mirren, Reese Witherspoon. All of them: classy and unique! Abigail Breslin looked darling and very age-appropriate.

Ugliest gowns: Anne Hathaway, Nicole Kidman (looked like a kitten with a red ribbon around its neck -- a 5-year-old's Xmas Day dream come true!!), Cameron Diaz, Kristen Dunst, Jada Pinkett Smith. Tried so hard to be different and couture that they all ended up looking like they were, well, trying really hard. Kelly Preston's ugly and ill-fitting leopard gown was def'ly NOT couture....but I heard her hubby bought it for her as a gift. Jennifer Hudson's little silver shrug was really FUG!!!

So-so: Gwyneth Paltrow, Penelope Cruz, Beyonce, Naomi Watts, Jennifer Lopez. All had decent enough dresses, but I didn't think they looked quite up to their potential.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Widget, I agree..normally I hate that stuff but I must say they were incredible!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2007 3:40:59 PM
Author: movie zombie

PAN''S LABRYNTH is the sister story to THE DEVIL''S BACKBONE.
Both these movies are interesting, but VERY dark. I did like Pan''s Labyrinth, but not the Devil''s Backbone. I think the latter was just too grizzely for me. There''s only so much I can take when it comes to stories about children and this guy holds nothing back.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, he doesn''t hold anything back.....but then he has a great knack for showing how the world impacts children....and those children have to cope somehow.

i was in toronto on 9/11. films were cancelled for the day. first film i saw on 9/12 was THE DEVIL''S BACKBONE........ sort of appropriate now that i think about it.

movie zombie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results