shape
carat
color
clarity

It's my turn to ask for advice

3_stone_shopping

Rough_Rock
I've been lurking for about 6 months, but now I'm ready to take the plunge on buying a 3 stone ring for my wife. I'm leery of putting too much identifying information out on these two potential center stones and having someone beat me to the purchase, but I'd like advice on if one stands out over the other. They're at 2 different vendors so I can't ask for their advice.

They're very similiar in size and price, and identical in clarity/color. One is AGS Ideal and the other is GIA Excellent.

#1 scores 1.3 on HCA with excellent Light Return, Fire, Scintillation and very good spread.

#2 score 1.8 on HCA with excellent Light Return and very good Fire, Scintillation, and spread.

Thank you

gog.JPG

wf.JPG

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sure either of these would be excellent! I suppose my decision might be influenced by the availability of the other two stones, unless you are using a setting with pre-set sidestones. If the clarity is VS2 or better, then that would not be an issue, but if they are SI stones, I'd want to know a lot more about the inclusions.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just put the stones on hold for you then you can place the link. No need to be secretive about it. If you do not put them on hold they could still be bought out from under your nose.

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Why not ask the vendors to send each diamond to a Gemologist on your behalf where you can view the diamonds side-by-side? You'll pay a little money for the Gemologist's time and perhaps a little shipping, but you can't beat a side-by-side comparison ;))

3_stone_shopping

Rough_Rock
I have them both on hold so I should be safe until tomorrow.

diamond #1 is at goodoldgold
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8258/

and #2 is at Whiteflash
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2632516.htm

I'm looking at .35 cttw for the sidestones and Whiteflash has them in stock. Goodokdgold can get sidestones but they quoted a higher price and they were .30 cttw each.

The thing that has me 2nd guessing the Whiteflash diamond is the HCA result and the "Very Good" Fire and Scintillation as opposed to them being Excellent on the Goodoldgold diamond.

Thanks for your help.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Both look good. Once you have the images, HCA scores do not really matter much, it is a rejection tool not a selection tool.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably just comes down to which vendor you would choose to work with - both stones look great.

Is there any price difference between the two?

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
what setting are you looking for? I'd probably end up going with whichever site has the setting you like and just do it all at once

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wasn't even going to express an opinion because I have worked with both and have had great experiences, but in this case, the winner is the larger stone. One is 5.7mm and the other is 5.8mm, so that is the tie-breaker.

3_stone_shopping

Rough_Rock
The larger diamond is $125 more, but the cheaper (and larger) side diamonds from Whiteflash more than make up the difference. Apparently I'm not missing something obvious in the Ideal scope and Aset images, and as long as no one points out a problem with them I'm going to go with the Whiteflash diamonds. Now I just need to decide between the traditional and trellis settings.

Thanks for your help

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, for me the tie breaker would be the setting and side stone prices and availability.

I vote for the trellis setting 8)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results