shape
carat
color
clarity

It's getting real!

trevorfloyd

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend and I have been looking at rings since May (online mostly but have gone to several stores/shops to try them on in person as well) and we've finally narrowed it down.
In the most basic sense, she's decided on a solitaire style in platinum.

We both really like this Danhov style: http://www.danhov.com/classic-engagement-rings-classico/danhov-classico-single-shank-engagement-ring-cl140

After perusing these forums for months I got on to David Klass and have worked with him to make a more specialized look of the Danhov style using some 'wants' my girlfriend has voiced over our browsing time.
Photos below:

Iteration 1
**edited by moderator, please upload photos to forum directly per our policies**

We live in Australia but I'm originally from Michigan so when i was visiting family in July, I was able to see the Danhov Classico (CL140) in person. My girlfriend hasn't been able to see it in person but she really loved this style from Michael Hill: http://www.michaelhill.com.au/certified-solitaire-engagement-ring-with-a-3-4-carat-tw-diamond-in-18ct-white-gold-11138884.html

She's said she would be happy with either the Danhov or Michael Hill and realizes it's more of a debate over a classic solitaire style vs. a unique take on the classic solitaire style. She's said she still loves the Danhov but little does she know I have David Klass making a unique one for her.

My biggest concern with the Danhov is the intricacy of the design. The internet images (rendered illustrations) show very crisp and clear edges but when I saw the Danhov in person it was much softer/muddled and I'm curious if that's a consequence of metalwork vs. illustration or if it's due to (poor) manufacturing.
Here's a side on photo of the Danhov ring that I took when I saw it in the shop in July:
http://i.imgur.com/2jg8my9.jpg

Listing some of her preferences to see if you guys think I'm on the right track:
Her ring size is an "H" or 3.75 so she has quite the small finger which is a lot of her reason for preferring simpler designs.
She likes a 2-3MM wide band around the sides and bottom but likes the tapered look as it runs in to the stone.
The Michael Hill style sit ~5MM tall with bottom of the band to top of the stone. She was clear she doesn't want it sitting out "in space."
She also liked the rounder edge bands (some knife styles - but only if they weren't too deep [bottom of band to top of band]).

Stone
This is probably where I need the most help but your opinions on the above are definitely appreciated and sought after.

She has tried on 0.50, 0.75 and 1.00 ct. stones. 0.50 is too small, 1.00 looks absurd on her finger and 0.75 is just right. The graded stone in the Michael Hill setting was a 0.79 ct.

I'm aiming for a 0.75 - 0.85 (0.80 probably) in the best quality I can find for ~$3,000 USD. I can go up to $3,500ish and if it's possible to get a great quality stone below $3,000 (~$2,500 would be nice), I won't be complaining.

I've got to say I love the Hearts & Arrows that I've seen but I know that it's possible to get a similar stone without that branding by using all of the measurements and tools available here.

I think I've rambled on long enough - turning to this amazing community here to see if you guys can help me in my search.

Thank you all!

Vizsla Girl

Rough_Rock

trevorfloyd

Rough_Rock
Thanks Vizsla Girl - I'm pretty familiar with using measurements to narrow down stones and the HCA rating but I'm genuinely curious how much clarity and color will impact the stone. I believe I can compromise on color to keep the stone within my budget but should I be looking below G? Or what would the consensus be there?

Can I find a HA stone in an H or I color within my budget at the ~0.80 ct. size?

trevorfloyd

Rough_Rock
*Mods could you edit my 1st post and replace it with this one (images now fixed)

My girlfriend and I have been looking at rings since May (online mostly but have gone to several stores/shops to try them on in person as well) and we've finally narrowed it down.
In the most basic sense, she's decided on a solitaire style in platinum.

We both really like this Danhov style: http://www.danhov.com/classic-engagement-rings-classico/danhov-classico-single-shank-engagement-ring-cl140

After perusing these forums for months I got on to David Klass and have worked with him to make a more specialized look of the Danhov style using some 'wants' my girlfriend has voiced over our browsing time.
Photos below:

(now fixed) I apologize for posting links to the photos - somehow missed the attachment selection.

Photos below:

Iteration 1 by David Klass

Iteration 2 by David Klass

Iteration 3 by David Klass

We live in Australia but I'm originally from Michigan so when i was visiting family in July, I was able to see the Danhov Classico (CL140) in person. My girlfriend hasn't been able to see it in person but she really loved this style from Michael Hill: http://www.michaelhill.com.au/certified-solitaire-engagement-ring-with-a-3-4-carat-tw-diamond-in-18ct-white-gold-11138884.html

She's said she would be happy with either the Danhov or Michael Hill and realizes it's more of a debate over a classic solitaire style vs. a unique take on the classic solitaire style. She's said she still loves the Danhov but little does she know I have David Klass making a unique one for her.

My biggest concern with the Danhov is the intricacy of the design. The internet images (rendered illustrations) show very crisp and clear edges but when I saw the Danhov in person it was much softer/muddled and I'm curious if that's a consequence of metalwork vs. illustration or if it's due to (poor) manufacturing.
Here's a side on photo of the Danhov ring that I took when I saw it in the shop in July:

Danhov Classico (CL140) side view - note the softer edges in comparison to the Danhov website

Listing some of her preferences to see if you guys think I'm on the right track:
Her ring size is an "H" or 3.75 so she has quite the small finger which is a lot of her reason for preferring simpler designs.
She likes a 2-3MM wide band around the sides and bottom but likes the tapered look as it runs in to the stone.
The Michael Hill style sit ~5MM tall with bottom of the band to top of the stone. She was clear she doesn't want it sitting out "in space."
She also liked the rounder edge bands (some knife styles - but only if they weren't too deep [bottom of band to top of band]).

Stone
This is probably where I need the most help but your opinions on the above are definitely appreciated and sought after.

She has tried on 0.50, 0.75 and 1.00 ct. stones. 0.50 is too small, 1.00 looks absurd on her finger and 0.75 is just right. The graded stone in the Michael Hill setting was a 0.79 ct.

I'm aiming for a 0.75 - 0.85 (0.80 probably) in the best quality I can find for ~$3,000 USD. I can go up to $3,500ish and if it's possible to get a great quality stone below $3,000 (~$2,500 would be nice), I won't be complaining.

I've got to say I love the Hearts & Arrows that I've seen but I know that it's possible to get a similar stone without that branding by using all of the measurements and tools available here.

I think I've rambled on long enough - turning to this amazing community here to see if you guys can help me in my search.

Thank you all!

27254_1.jpg

27254_2.jpg

27254_3.jpg

_35164.jpg

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
She will have to be careful to not bang the ring cuz I bet those side stones are going to pop out every now and then

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just saying, beautiful setting. I would consider that for myself too. Good luck!

Violetphoenix

Shiny_Rock
I like the rendering #1 the best, the gallery with the addition of the donut hole and the curves of the shank.

I had 5 rings made by David and I never had my stones or diamonds fell out. For the artistry part of your ring design, you might need help here....but functionality and quality of the settings, David always delivers.

Call out to Niel, Chrono, and ElleW for help. I found that they can really read and understand CADs, have good eyes for details, and offer good advice. Good luck!

trevorfloyd

Rough_Rock
I've actually been thinking about altering the band VioletPhoenix - I've attached a terrible illustration/mash-up to see if I can get some keen eyes on it.

Essentially, I would change the 8-prong/petal basket to a 6-prong/petal basket.
I would keep the hexagon rotated so that the band still runs in to points of the petals.
Hexagon/6-prong basket rotated as so: http://www.moissaniteco.com/green-round-moissanite-6prong-trellis-engagement-ring-p-11379.html

After VioletPhoenix mentioned it, I actually do think Iteration 1 looks more natural with the curve of the band running in to the basket but what I wasn't fond of was the thickness of it in that rendering.

And the other thing to change would be a curved bottom support piece in to the basket instead of straight across. I actually like the "A" or arrow divet out of the Michael Hill setting (above) which I'm curious if it's practical to implement in this design.

My question would be if the top face of the diamond to the bottom of the band that touches the top of her finger would be too much height? She really only wants a height of 5-6mm or it would be too far out in space for her liking.

Any one care to comment?

6-prong_ring.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results