shape
carat
color
clarity

It's finally happened to me -- Lost in the mail

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
On August 10 I sent a package to an address in Chicago. I sent it USPS Priority Mail (medium size flat rat box) with insurance and delivery confirmation. According to the USPS tracking tool it says UNDELIVERABLE AS ADDRESSED.

According to the Postal website they say that undeliverable items will be returned to sender if the information is available. I had a return address sticker affixed. I question how long it should take to return it?

The site also says that if the item cannot be returned to sender, they will open it to see if there is any identifying information inside that will help in returning it. Well, there is an antique omc and ruby ring enclosed, along with some gold that was to be used as credit toward the piece I was commissioning. Will they open it and decide to pocket the items?

I would think that since I have a coded delivery confirmation number, couldn't they return it to the originating post office? Or track it by the VISA card I used to pay for the postal services?

It would not be a catastrophy if this package disappears into a black hole, but it makes me questions the USPS policies on returning undelivable items.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since it has a return delivery address there is no reason for them to open it and check to see how to return it. I would guess there is a week turn around or less. Good luck!

Verdy

Shiny_Rock
I agree with AprilBaby, there should be no reason for them to open it if there's a sender sticker on it. My mother mailed a package to an old friend last year who had moved from her previous house and they returned the package promptly. If you want to be really sure, try calling them and asking about the package, it's the best you can do! Best of luck and I do hope your package gets back to you ASAP! ::)

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Oh no! You insured it so, regardless of what happens, it should all work out ok. Crossing my fingers you get it back. Any idea why the address was undeliverable?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I think you are handling this much better than I would be handling it. Please let us know what happens.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
centralsquare|1314470139|3001802 said:
Oh no! You insured it so, regardless of what happens, it should all work out ok. Crossing my fingers you get it back. Any idea why the address was undeliverable?

Yes, it's insured. But getting the value back in $$ is not going to replace the loss, since the ring was a vinage piece that I was saving in order to use the amazingly unique (and matching) 7 ten point omc diamonds and 7 matching burma rubies. It's pretty much irreplacable. ;(

As for why it was undeliverable, I have no idea. :confused: I've mailed to this person before and used the same information then. I can only imagine that I made an error when writing the address.

I'm hoping this post causes Murphy's Law to kick in and the package arrives back to me sometime this week.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Upgradable- I'm so sorry! But it's good you had a return address on it. I always put a return address sticker on anything I mail. I remember back in the late 1980's, my fahter had a mailed a bill. It somehow got shredded at the post office and they mailed it back to my dad. He commented that he would have never know, if they hadn't returned it to him and that he didn't use return address labels that often. From the day forward, he did.

The post office should deliver it back to you promptly, and I see no reason why they would open it.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no!! I really hope it gets sent back to you since you had the return address...

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope it gets back to you soon! That ring was beautiful, and you're right it is definitely a one of a kind piece perfectly matched. Sending dust and good vibes!!!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no-tons of dust for the safe return of your jewels! And yeah, I'm not really impressed with the USPS policy of opening the package up! Hopefully they'll just send it back to you since you have your return address on it.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
My sympathies Uppy.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Recently I sent out a package from the East Coast to the West Coast via USPS Priority, Insured, with Delivery Confirmation - I had doublechecked the address on the package, and the addresses I wrote up on the Insured and Delivery Confirmation slips - but when I went to check on the progress of the package a couple days later, per the Delivery Confirmation it was sent further East and then marked "missent" - it took another week-and-a-half for it to be turned around and sent out to the West.

I finally figured out from the data on the Priority & Delivery Confirmation Receipts that the mail clerk had entered a wrong zip code for one of the extra services and I guess that was the bar code label the Post Office had initially scanned when it sent it the wrong direction.

You've probably double-checked your postal receipts, but maybe take another look at the data from the Post Office printed out usually in purple on the Insured and Delivery Confirmation receipts - maybe your clerk rang up a wrong number too?

Hope it turns up though, either at its destination or back to you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, Uppy!!! :errrr: I hope it makes its way safely back to you this week!!!!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry that it happened. I hope it will find its way to you. Mail may be slow because of the hurricane.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no, I'm sorry Uppy! I hope it gets back to you okay!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no!! I hope it makes it's way back to you too ;(

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry this happened to you. It will be a pain in the neck working thru it, but it will all work out for you. Keep us posted.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am SO sorry to hear this. How frustrating when things like this happen. I hope it gets sent back to you quickly.

heb1976

Shiny_Rock
Maybe it's not lost, hopefully it will show up soon!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hoping it makes its way back to you...you are taking it very well. I would be in tears. ;(

Rae~

Shiny_Rock
Oh no. :(( I hope it finds its way back to you, Uppy.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear this! Hope you get it back and soon.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry for you Uppy :(( Surely it will be returned to you.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Uppy, I'm really hoping it'll turn up soon. My thoughts is that the return portion will NOT be priority that's why it's taking longer.

~LC

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope that it gets back to you soon! That's awful that you don't know where it is.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
One month.

That's how long it took to find it's way back to me. Thank goodness it is back!! I forgot to put the suite number on the address label, and apparently the PO cannot look at the directory on the building and see which name matches the address label. Civil servants? Is that an oxymoron?

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Upgradable|1315079312|3009164 said:
One month.

That's how long it took to find it's way back to me. Thank goodness it is back!! I forgot to put the suite number on the address label, and apparently the PO cannot look at the directory on the building and see which name matches the address label. Civil servants? Is that an oxymoron?

Whew! I was getting nervous!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
OUpeargirl|1315079773|3009168 said:
Upgradable|1315079312|3009164 said:
One month.

Whew! I was getting nervous!
You are silly!! :wink2:

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
So glad you got it back!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm happy for you and it somewhat restores the faith as well - may take a while but in the end the system works!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results