shape
carat
color
clarity

It's Cicada Time! Have you seen or heard any yet?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry, but they look gross. I had no idea that they were that big either. I assumed they were very small but they look really large in that video. Yikes.

when you see one on its own -like one singing on a lamp post, they are actually quite pretty -and i hate bugs
i would love to see a cicada brooch if anyone has one ?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I saw this guy on my walk yesterday. Crazy looking eyes!
We have some on our trees but no huge masses, at least not yet anyway, and no loud noise yet.
IMG_1928.jpeg

the wings are beautiful

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
this is what our ones look like
1716600573049.jpeg /
i think not being brown makes them less scary

OMG i just read we have 42 different species of them !

oddly no mention of playful kitty cats that want a tasty snack

Enemies

In New Zealand, enemies of cicadas include tiny wasps that infest cicada eggs, predatory beetles that attack nymphs, and fungal diseases that destroy both nymphs and adults. As they migrate towards the surface, near-mature nymphs can become food for kiwi. Adult cicadas may be taken by birds or caught in spider webs.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This Haloween I expect cicada costumes will be all the rage.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Won't zillions of dead ones stink?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_6946.jpeg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_6947.jpeg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Northern Illinois here... and I'm SO dreading this!!!

I've been in Chicago since 1988, so I've lived through a couple of these events, but always in the City Proper. Lots of concrete, little in the way of trees.

Considering hiding indoors until it's all over LOL.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Chickens love to eat em.
Haven't heard any here but not far away a friends chickens are going nuts eating them.
He wishes he had more chickens, free food to make them nice and plump.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Northern Illinois here... and I'm SO dreading this!!!

I've been in Chicago since 1988, so I've lived through a couple of these events, but always in the City Proper. Lots of concrete, little in the way of trees.

Considering hiding indoors until it's all over LOL.

You know where I live, come see my zoo!I must have a couple thousand. Pick up Karl and Wifey and I will cook a few for you!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG... I'm so NOT looking forward to this! Some friends of ours live in the woods about thirty miles away and they have two cocker spaniel puppies. They say that the pups are having an absolute FIELD DAY! The puppies are so busy eating the bugs that they forget to do their business when they go outside. I can't even think about this... blech!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
None here yet in south central CT.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG... I'm so NOT looking forward to this! Some friends of ours live in the woods about thirty miles away and they have two cocker spaniel puppies. They say that the pups are having an absolute FIELD DAY! The puppies are so busy eating the bugs that they forget to do their business when they go outside. I can't even think about this... blech!

YIKES! After eating all those bugs I shudder to think what their business looks like!:knockout:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

our cat PuffBall tourments them before he snacks, perhaps they are high in protein

then he kisses me
im too polite to say no

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Still none here yet.
Where are you sweet Cicadas?
We eagerly await your arrival

Cicadas are environmentally friendly and do much for our planet

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results