shape
carat
color
clarity

It's bling time!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Following everyone's advice about not getting jewellery on credit, I decided to hold off and save before I make any big purchases.

However, I've just arrived at my family home for a few days of vacation and while going through my old things I discovered a bunch of jewellery pieces I was given as a child for birthdays, etc. - a few crosses, some rings, hoop and stud earrings, etc. Fortunately, they're all 18k gold! Back then, gold trinkets were cheap so a bunch of people would just gift me things like that for major occasions.

I realise that I'm never ever going to wear those things again because I don't like yellow gold, some of the rings don't fit my fingers any more, I don't wear hoop earrings, etc. (plus a lot of them are engraved with my name so I don't think my future children could wear them either), so I've decided to sell them for cash. I don't know how much they would get but I hope enough to cover about half of the value of the sapphire pendant I dream of getting so that I only have to save up for the other half (hopefully in time for my wedding in three months' time).

Now, I'm itching to check how much I could get for everything but that won't be for another week when I go back to the UK.

P.S. I also discovered my mum has a lovely ruby set in an 18k yellow gold ring with a CZ halo that will be mine one day :love:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
So nice to find unexpected money/items laying around.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's awesome! I sold all my scrap/unworn stuff last year and saved enough to pay for my tennis bracelet entirely. Yay! :appl:
Soooo, if I may be so bold... any pics of your dream pendant? :naughty:

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Here it is. I'm not sure about quality and I will ask about it in coloured stones when I'm ready to buy, but this is what I'm looking for:

http://www.bluenile.com/sapphire-diamond-pendant_8150

I wish I could get some idea of how much I could get for my old pieces as I'm dying to know how much I could put away for the pendant but I have no way of figuring out how much my pieces weigh.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is very nice to find some things to sell. The sapphire pendant is lovely.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Nice--I think you might be able to have the same look for less if you get quotes from other jewelers (I think BGD does one too) or Etsy vendors. This is in sterling, but its a similar idea http://www.etsy.com/listing/65513024/rainbow-sliding-halo-pendant for only $245; if you wanted a sapphire, you'd have to source your own and of course I'm sure the CS'ers would love to help. Just throwing the idea out there!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
IndyLady|1308502175|2949562 said:
Nice--I think you might be able to have the same look for less if you get quotes from other jewelers (I think BGD does one too) or Etsy vendors. This is in sterling, but its a similar idea http://www.etsy.com/listing/65513024/rainbow-sliding-halo-pendant for only $245; if you wanted a sapphire, you'd have to source your own and of course I'm sure the CS'ers would love to help. Just throwing the idea out there!

Thanks, IndyLady. I'd already looked at the BGD one and intended to ask for opinions on it when I'm ready to buy. I'm not sure about the etsy one, though. I'd really like to move away from sterling silver as I already have a bunch of pendant chains like that; I'd much prefer white gold.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Good luck with your consolidation/ bling project!

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1308567273|2950014 said:
Good luck with your consolidation/ bling project!

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Thanks, Imdanny.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone,

I'm back in the UK and just took my gold to a place that buys scrap gold to weigh it and get an estimate of how much they'd give me for it.
For 5.19g of 9k gold, they offered £44.11; for 3.98g of 14k gold, they offered £52.53; and for 41.16g of 18k gold, they offered £699.72 - in cash (they also offered the option of a voucher for their store which would be worth over £1000 but I'm not crazy about that option as it is a mall store and I don't have much confidence in the quality of the pieces in they sell). I realise I could probably make much more selling online but it seems a bit too complicated for me - plus some of the pieces have CZs in them that have to be taken out making the process even more complicated).

Anyway, now it seems that I have between 600 and 800 pounds ($957-1277) to spend on something good - I say between 600 and 800 because the prices they gave me are based on the total weight of my gold which will probably come up to a bit less after the CZs are taken out. So I'd really like to get suggestions on what to spend it on; diamond studs, pendant, etc?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results