shape
carat
color
clarity

It's another "help me choose a diamond" thread!

PrincessNuggz

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

First, let me just thank everyone for being so great on here. I mostly lurk, but have posted a few times. The knowledge available on this site and these boards makes me so much more confident in my diamond search/shopping.

So, long story short, because of the Tacori setting prices going up tomorrow, my SO went ahead and purchased this setting from Good Old Gold: http://www.since1910.com/engagement/tacori/tacori-solitaire-engagement-ring-with-milgrain-edge-ps2186.aspx

Now I need to choose a center stone. My specs are:

Cut: Round brilliant AGS triple 000, H&A
Clarity: VS1-VS2, possibly SI1
Color: G - J
Carat: .75-.9
Budget: up to $3,500 for stone

FYI, with this setting the diamond width must be between 5.8 and 6.2 mm. My finger size is 3.5.

This is the stone I was originally looking at:
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/7869/

Good Old Gold told me that was a good choice, but also suggested this one that's cheaper and larger:
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/7619/

I like that one, too, but it's SI1 and I'm not sure how I feel about that. GOG did tell me it's eye clean though. Of course, I want as big a diamond I can get within my specs, so in a lot of ways I prefer the .81 stone to the .77.

One other thing that worries me is that the GIA Facetware/Sarin report for the .81 stone only scores a very good instead of excellent. Is that something to worry about?

I asked GOG if they had any other stones they were anticipating that met my specifications, but they're closed yesterday and today, so, obviously, I haven't heard anything yet. I may be coming back to you all for more advice in a few days. I was hoping to hold off on this post, too, until I had more information, but I've gotten too antsy.

What you think? Which stone is better? Thanks in advance!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a dilemma! It would be so much easier if there was just a third VS2 stone in between these! My personal preference is for VS diamonds, yet it certainly is tempting to go for the greater size. I don't know any way to decide comfort level with an SI stone other than to see it in person. I think the larger one gets vg because it has a tiny place on the girdle that is very thin. I'm sure it must be tiny because it is not on the AGS report.

Any possibility of upping the budget by $200? You could get better color and VS2 with this .81 G:

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/7918/

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Larger stone has a VG grade from the facetware because of a V/Ex Thin girdle. Probably a scanning error as AGS did not get that result in their report. Ask GOG for a rescan of the stone and see if that is really the case.

PrincessNuggz

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your responses!

diamondseeker2006: I agree! If I could get a VS2, I'd be perfectly happy. I'm secretly hoping that when they get back to me they either have one coming in, or are able to source one. I live in Philadelphia, so it's possible to take a trip up to Long Island--I might do just that.

I did see that .81 G VS2 stone--I think I'd be able to up the budget, but it seems that there is some leakage there on the ASET? I'm still not completely skilled in reading all these scans and images, which is why I need to ask for help! Haha.

Stone-cold11: I did email GOG asking about the VG grade, so when they get back to me I'll ask if they can rescan. Thanks for the advice!

Anyone else, please feel free to chime in.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, white is leakage. That G stone is a good one. I'd go for the better color, clarity, and size if the budget allows. Definitely ask GOG about the G in comparison to the others, though.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is beautiful! Have you seen an ideal cut J to be sure you are comfortable with the color?

PrincessNuggz

Rough_Rock
No, I haven't actually. That's basically the only thing that worries me (well, besides going a bit over budget).

I've watched a bunch of Good Old Gold comparison videos though, and looked at as many photos as possible.

My boyfriend and I might drive up to Good Old Gold in a couple weeks (live in Philadelphia--so it's a hike, but not too bad of a drive) to check a few stones out in person. We can't go this Saturday so it will have to be next. Of course, I'm a) really impatient and b) afraid the diamonds I'm looking at won't be there in a couple weeks.

The logical thing to do would be to head down to jeweler's row and check out some diamonds in person. I feel guilty doing that though, knowing full well that I'm going to be buying online...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem with jewelers row is that they may not have a selection of ideal cut stones and I think you need to judge color in the same kind of cut you are buying. It would cost you the shipping, but you could have it sent to you and save a lot of time. That is a good size stone but I really prefer I color and up, although the tint in the J might be sort of antique looking in your Tacori setting.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PrincessNuggz|1299030059|2862576 said:
OK, well if I'm going to be upping the budget, what about this one?

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/7718/

Experts--let me know what you think!

Not enamoured of that one - would definitely ask for a hearts photo retake - some uneven Vs, some clefts tending toward one wing of the heart over the other, hard to tell what is photography artifact and what is stone characteristic but I would want to make sure everything is picture perfect if I'm paying a premium for a H&A stone.

Not loving the IS either honestly - again, the stone is probably a beauty IRL and the slight variations probably not visible when viewed IRL, but I want a picture perfect mind-clean stone if I'm paying a premium for picture-perfect-mind-clean.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
0.81 I SI1 - my favourite (like the thick arrows and the small table), IS/ASET look nice, would request hearts photo retake.

0.9 J VS1 - not mind-clean for me for the premium

0.77 I VS1 - nice IS/scan, optical symmetry is clear from those hearts and arrows pics

0.8 G VS2 - not mind-clean for me for the premium - under table and that one area of upper girdle

Note - I specified mind-clean because in all honesty I think all of those would be beautiful stones in-person, my issue as I explained above is with paying extra for that perfection past what your eyes might see.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yssie|1299081971|2862914 said:
0.81 I SI1 - my favourite (like the thick arrows and the small table), IS/ASET look nice, would request hearts photo retake.

0.9 J VS1 - not mind-clean for me for the premium

0.77 I VS1 - nice IS/scan, optical symmetry is clear from those hearts and arrows pics

0.8 G VS2 - not mind-clean for me for the premium - under table and that one area of upper girdle

Note - I specified mind-clean because in all honesty I think all of those would be beautiful stones in-person, my issue as I explained above is with paying extra for that perfection past what your eyes might see.

.80ct G VS2: One one set of uppers and the teeny tiny thing under the table (completely invisible and a great VS2)?

PrincessNuggz

Rough_Rock
Oh no! Now another has been posted! Sheesh!

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/8102/

Everything sounds (well, looks) really great... we'll see. The inclusions aren't marked on the AGS report. Either that or it's a mislabeled IF stone. Hey, a girl can hope, right?

It goes without saying that I've already emailed Good Old Gold for photos, etc.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rhino|1299096928|2863113 said:
.80ct G VS2: One one set of uppers and the teeny tiny thing under the table (completely invisible and a great VS2)?

Like I noted - my issue is not at all with what the eyes might see (thank you for clarifying that, btw). It is with the fact that if the OP is paying a premium for a stone that is perfectly mind-clean as well as perfectly eye-clean in every sense of the word, she should get a stone that is both perfectly eye-clean and perfectly mind-clean.

Well, IMO, obviously.

PrincessNuggz

Rough_Rock
OK, images are up on that new one: http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/8102/

I'm thinking I might pull the trigger on that one. They could probably put a prong over the inclusion noted in the microscopic view, right? Obviously, I will ask.

Everything else looks good to me... but, again, I'm new at this stuff.

Feedback, please! I promise this is the last time I will ask... maybe. Haha.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks good to me :)) what did GOG say about it?

PrincessNuggz

Rough_Rock
Yssie, I hope you aren't just saying that to appease me! Though it does mean a lot to have your stone approval!

Haven't heard back from GOG yet, I usually only hear from them once a day. Once I know, you'll know!

Diamondseeker--I hope you will give your two cents, too, since you've been so helpful with everything!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
;)) No, that wasn't to appease anyone, I really think it looks nice! And I should think they can put the inclusion under or near a prong so that it won't be noticeable.

PrincessNuggz

Rough_Rock
FINAL UPDATE: I've heard back from Sarah and she says the diamond is "SUPER" eye clean and that she can barely see the inclusion under a loupe. She also added that they can hide it under a prong as well.

So we're going to go ahead with the purchase! Yay! It will still be at least another 3 weeks till it's done though, because of the setting, and then it will be sent to my boyfriend who will hang onto it until he decides to propose--I hope he doesn't take too long!

Anyway, thanks to everyone again for all your help, guidance, and input! It's much appreciated!

When I finally get it in my possession, I'll be sure to post some pictures!

(here's the diamond again, in case you don't feel like scrolling up! http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/8102)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats! The hard part is over :bigsmile:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay!!! :appl: You made a great choice! Sorry I didn't see the latest stone earlier, but I think you'll be glad you went with a G!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Late to the party, but I was going to say I love your choice! G color is a really nice compromise between whiteness and price (I just bought a G), and the arrows are the perfect size for my tastes. Nice choice.

PrincessNuggz

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I agree! I'm really happy with my decision!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results