shape
carat
color
clarity

It's about to show up

ascari_2

Shiny_Rock
Well, the ring is on a FedEx truck awaiting delivery later today, the question comes in six days, and a trip to somewhere warm the day after. This is getting exciting.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
super exciting!! cheers!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey: :appl: :appl: :appl: Excited for you at this special time!

OneNole03

Rough_Rock
I know the feeling, mine arrived at the FedEx holding facility a couple hours ago. If I can only get off I'd work to go and pick it up, question coming Sunday. (my birthday) good luck with the upcoming proposal.

stci

Ideal_Rock
Soooooo exciting! Can't wait to see pics of your new treasure!

ascari_2

Shiny_Rock
Well it's here, but there are a few design features which were very important and did not make it into the final product. I spoke with the vendor and they did say that something didn't go right on their end as the design features that I wanted to appear were stressed many times. They are willing to redo the ring, but unfortunately, given my plans to propose next week there is no way the redo-can be done in time. So this really leaves me no option but to propose with that I have now and then see if she wants to send the ring back. So we will see what happens.

ascari_2

Shiny_Rock
OneNole03|1353082393|3307915 said:
I know the feeling, mine arrived at the FedEx holding facility a couple hours ago. If I can only get off I'd work to go and pick it up, question coming Sunday. (my birthday) good luck with the upcoming proposal.

Good luck with the proposal! I am sure it'll be an exciting weekend.

anny_n_austy

Rough_Rock
Good luck! What an exciting time :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ascari_2|1353089298|3307986 said:
Well it's here, but there are a few design features which were very important and did not make it into the final product. I spoke with the vendor and they did say that something didn't go right on their end as the design features that I wanted to appear were stressed many times. They are willing to redo the ring, but unfortunately, given my plans to propose next week there is no way the redo-can be done in time. So this really leaves me no option but to propose with that I have now and then see if she wants to send the ring back. So we will see what happens.

Ugh!!! Do you want to show us? Is it not like the last CADS???? I am hoping that it is something so minor that she wouldn't even consider sending it back.

ascari_2

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1353102974|3308153 said:
ascari_2|1353089298|3307986 said:

Ugh!!! Do you want to show us? Is it not like the last CADS???? I am hoping that it is something so minor that she wouldn't even consider sending it back.

The general design is the same as was shown in the CADs, but from the get-go we had worked to have (i) the halo stones tuck slightly under the center to avoid a gap therebetween, and (ii) have the outer edge to the halo stones protrude past the outline of the halo (meaning that the outer metal edge of the halo would end before the edge of the stones) to provide a scalloped/floral look (especially for each pair of the halo stones between the corners). As you may be able to tell, the last set of CADs showed the tucking perfectly. This is especially easy to see in the top view. The CADs also showed some scalloping, but this point was discussed slightly further with the vendor.

Unfortunately the ring that was received today lacked both of those features. There is absolutely no tucking of any halo stones under the center. It may be difficult to see from the photos, but there is a pretty significant gap between each of the halo stones and the center, causing a lot of exposed metal. This also causes the halo to be disproportionately large compared to the center. The ring just lacks a clean and gentle look of a flower (which was quite evident in the inspiration ring) and instead looks like a really heavy halo. According to the vendor the halo stones that were used were larger than what we had discussed. But in addition to that I see a pretty large gap between each of the halo stones. So I think the combination of using larger stones and placing them too far apart from one another caused the halo to balloon outward. The halo also ended up showing virtually no scalloping.

So in the end, the two most important features that we had worked on starting from the first set of CADs were not implemented. For what it is, the ring and the workmanship look great. Unfortunately it is not the ring I approved and it's a ring which lacks particular characteristics that I think my gf fell in love with. But as I said before, I don't want to let this ruin my plans. So I will use this ring to propose, then let her know the state of things, and take it from there.

_1896.jpg

_1897.jpg

img-20121116-00239.jpg

img-20121116-00240.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It must be very frustrating not to get the details you discussed at length. However, if I hadn't read your description of what went wrong, I'd never guess that the ring wasn't perfect. Looks beautiful to my eyes. Still, I hope you get to a point where you can feel completely satisfied with it!

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
mmm, i see what you mean. the ring doesn't look as dainty, and usually CADs exaggerate the proportions of the ring, so i don't blame you for thinking that you were going to get what you were expecting. i also agree that the size of the halo melee overwhelm the center stone a bit. but, as a ring, it's beautiful! and i think you have a great attitude towards this. if your future fiance loves it as it is, great! if not, you have the opportunity to bring it back to your jeweler and get the look you were going for. you definitely deserve to get what you asked for. in the meantime, have a fantastic trip, and congrats!!

ascari_2

Shiny_Rock
sweetpea&babycorn|1353132490|3308532 said:
mmm, i see what you mean. the ring doesn't look as dainty, and usually CADs exaggerate the proportions of the ring, so i don't blame you for thinking that you were going to get what you were expecting. i also agree that the size of the halo melee overwhelm the center stone a bit. but, as a ring, it's beautiful! and i think you have a great attitude towards this. if your future fiance loves it as it is, great! if not, you have the opportunity to bring it back to your jeweler and get the look you were going for. you definitely deserve to get what you asked for. in the meantime, have a fantastic trip, and congrats!!

Thank you. From the start, the gf always liked bigger halo stones. But I think she fell in love with the inspiration ring specifically because it ended up being a tight halo. You can see the photo of it below where the center seems to dominate even though the side stones are relatively large. That was the look that I was going for with this design.

ring7.jpg

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
It's a gorgeous ring! Whether you change the stones or not, that ring will look amazing on her hand! :appl:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think its beautiful! :love: The center stone, in my eyes, still stand out quite a lot even though the larger melee. Take a few pictures of it from further away. Looking at it that close you can find imperfections in practically anything!

Id bet you she just adores it. If she likes a larger melee in the halo, but like that smaller melee in the inspiration, this seems like a good compromise. I mean heck, inspiration doesnt mean it has to look EXACTLY THE SAME :wavey:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I gasped when I saw the photos! Then, I read your text and learned you're disappointed. I know it's different from what you expected, but it's gorgeous!!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
To my untrained eye (meaning, that I was not inspecting the details to the same degree you would be as the purchaser and final CAD approver) this ring looks AMAZING! I see some 'overhang' of the halo diamonds into a scalloped design but I guess not as much as what you'd originally wanted. If it were me, I'd be over the moon receiving that ring in that design!!! It looks perfect (to me)!!! Ah - great job and great that you can see how your gf feels about it with the option to further adjust if need be. Not sure who your vendor is, but I am sure they will want to be certain you are pleased with the final result.

Good luck! hope the proposal and your sunny warm vacation go very well for you both!!! :appl:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's absolutely gorgeous! Sorry you are disappointed!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless you do a head-on shot, I cannot see anything wrong. Naturally the diamond is not going to be sitting on the halo diamonds. It looks great to me from these views. Try to do a head-on shot.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I personally I think your gf is going to love this ring! It's gorgeous. I know I would be ecstatic to be presented with a ring like this. The only slight difference I can is the melee are a tad larger - but you mentioned your gf is drawn to larger melee anyway. Again, I have a feeling when she puts this on her finger she's not going to want to take it off.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
FWIW, I think it looks beautiful and my guess is your gf will love it! However, I can imagine your frustration because it didn't come out as you had planned (and based on your other threads, you put a ton of effort into planning). I do see what the discrepancy between what you asked for and what you got. The halo looks more like an open flower as opposed to a more closed flower (if that makes sense).

ascari_2

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the feedback. I won't have any additional pics until monday, but I'll try to get a few different ones then.

DS, one thing we worked on in the cads was to raise the center slightly to provide some space for the halo stones to tuck under. It was an attempt to get the exact same look as the inspiration ring. But even as it stands now, those stones definitely could have been closer to the center. It's alright though. My frustrations right now is not going to get the ring fixed and will only make me stressed out and lose sleep (which did happen last night). I do want to make the best of it and I won't let this hiccup ruin a very special day.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ascari, I'm honestly not trying to be unsympathetic or difficult, but do you think your gf will even notice the things you are so uspet about? All I see is a really gorgeous ring, and I have a feeling that is how your gf will feel too.

When you present it to her, I'm thinking you shouldn't mention what you think is wrong with the ring and see how she reacts. If she loves it, then maybe problem solved. When all is said and done, there's only one opinion that matters and that's your gf's.

I'm really sorry you've been so stressed out and upset by this experience. This should be a time of happiness for you too! But try not to worry and see what happens. And of course, on the chance your gf doesn't completely love the ring, you can always change it.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I think it's gorgeous! I hope she loves it too.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do understand your disappointment especially after you were so specific. I remember back when Frankie had her ring redone for less of a gap than that, and we all wondered about that. But once she had it redone, we could see the difference. I don't remember who is making your ring, but even the master ring makers we see on here sometimes don't make them perfectly.

I agree with the others to not say anything at first. Enjoy the proposal. Then after that day, mention to her that it was not done exactly as you had expected, don't point out what is wrong, but ask her if there is anything about it she would like redone. I would call your ring maker on Monday and tell them they may have to redo the setting but you are letting her decide after the proposal.

In any event, the ring is beautiful and it certainly is fine for your proposal!

ascari_2

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1353207905|3309135 said:
I do understand your disappointment especially after you were so specific. I remember back when Frankie had her ring redone for less of a gap than that, and we all wondered about that. But once she had it redone, we could see the difference. I don't remember who is making your ring, but even the master ring makers we see on here sometimes don't make them perfectly.

I agree with the others to not say anything at first. Enjoy the proposal. Then after that day, mention to her that it was not done exactly as you had expected, don't point out what is wrong, but ask her if there is anything about it she would like redone. I would call your ring maker on Monday and tell them they may have to redo the setting but you are letting her decide after the proposal.

In any event, the ring is beautiful and it certainly is fine for your proposal!

Thanks DS. That's pretty much the plan. The vendor agreed to redo the ring as soon as they saw the things that I pointed out so it should not be an issue.

ascari_2

Shiny_Rock
Crappy cell phone pic. I'll try the regular camera a bit later.

img-20121120-00251.jpg

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I agree with DS. You're allowed to be frustrated, you put a lot of work (and money I'm sure) into the ring and it's not what you expected. But these things can be changed later if you both decide it's not quite what you wanted. It's beautiful and I'm sure things will work out as you wanted in the end. For now just focus on the proposal and all of the happiness that goes with it! Good luck!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try to get a head-on shot rather than from an angle. I want to see how much of a gap there is. The pictures so far look pretty good!

ascari_2

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1353428020|3311030 said:
Try to get a head-on shot rather than from an angle. I want to see how much of a gap there is. The pictures so far look pretty good!

There you go. Hope this gives you a better idea of what I was concerned about what I was trying to avoid. I believe the halo stones should've been bunched up closer together and that would've avoided most of the issues (obviously, the outer dimensions of the halo would've had to have been decreased too).

IMG-20121120-00253.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results