shape
carat
color
clarity

It seems like moss agate is trending. What do you think?

Jujeh

Rough_Rock
I've got a serious hankering for an affordable rose gold rhr. I'm looking to stay in a very low range ... < $400

I've seen a ton of rings like this on etsy, but not sure how it would look in real life.

Just wondering what you think of this trend and if you'd pick one up. I'm also considering morganite or moonstone. Thanks!

[Btw, it seems moss agate is 6.5-7 on the mohs scale. Not great, but it would only be for occasional wear anyway.]

1700770638831.png

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i am a recent convert to moss agate but nothing as spectacular as a ring like that

i brought some beads from etsy and just feel in love with them so i brought 3 or was it 4 more strands,
im going to end up with 3 necklaces including a rope and a bracelet and im thinking about earrings
it looks beautiful with pearls
but a necklace isnt going to face the knocks and bangs of a ring
but then if a stone in a ring got damaged it might not coast a lot comparitivly, to replace

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
it’s a pretty ring. I myself prefer transparent or translucent gems, but I do love an occasional labradorite or rhodochrosite. Just make sure it’s not dyed or a doublet/triplet, unless you don’t care, and it’s fully disclosed.. Try to know what you are paying for.

Jujeh

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much!

In a strange turn of events, I ended up on Yvonne Raley's Etsy page and bought this emerald and paraiba ring instead.

I went over my budget by ... a lot. x_x

No regrets though.

I still may keep moss agate mind for future projects though.

1700776960385.png

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much!

In a strange turn of events, I ended up on Yvonne Raley's Etsy page and bought this emerald and paraiba ring instead.

No regrets though.

1700776960385.png

Beautiful emerald, now that a stone I really love!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much!

No regrets though.

1700776960385.png

that is beautiful
maybe a moss agate piece next time

Jujeh

Rough_Rock
Shopping on etsy is very dangerous because I never know when I'll end up on some of my favorite seller's pages :p

But, I'm really huge on neon / glowy emeralds, so I couldn't really pass it up.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Classic thread! “Hey should I buy this inexpensive thing? Oops I spent 4x as much and got this AMAZING THING INSTEAD!!”

I love love that ring, and with the sale it’s great to snap it up now.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah this does not happen on the car forums :cool2:

Beautiful ring -- the emerald!.

I love all the fascinating agates, I even bought one of those Victorian Scottish black banded agate things in an anchor shape. It was a "bargain" and was a brooch (for a giant) but is probably only suitable for a Christmas tree ornament.

I think they are pretty tough, too -- not quite jade tough but perfect for a big ol' cabochon in a @stracci2000-style ring. Or a belt buckle.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LilAlex
I don't know what makes you think I have a big ole moss agate cabochon ring ........:lol::lol::lol:
I made this one many years ago!
IMG_20231125_132706418.jpg

IMG_20231125_141501933.jpg

Last edited:

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
LilAlex, which car forum would that be?
Every Saturday morning here starts with BringATrailer, and remarks such as, "You people are on drugs!"

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
i am a recent convert to moss agate but nothing as spectacular as a ring like that

i brought some beads from etsy and just feel in love with them so i brought 3 or was it 4 more strands,
im going to end up with 3 necklaces including a rope and a bracelet and im thinking about earrings
it looks beautiful with pearls
but a necklace isnt going to face the knocks and bangs of a ring
but then if a stone in a ring got damaged it might not coast a lot comparitivly, to replace

If you make something with moss agate and pearls, please show us!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you make something with moss agate and pearls, please show us!

i have major cell phone issue but ......
sorry about picture quality (and double chin)
this is a necklace and a bracelet
the necklace has loosened up a bit with more wear
not in the same league as @Jujeh lovely ring that she didnt buy
but the beads are addictive
im also going to have a go at knotting a rope myself and i have a half agate half pearl necklace being knotted at the jewlers
WIN_20231109_12_17_35_Pro.jpg

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Oh that's lovely!! Thank you for posting. I'm an idiot with my phone and my neck is very banded, so no issues.
That's a luminous look with the moss agates! Sell me a bracelet.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
well who knew that 2023 was going to be the year of the moss agate
i got my latest creation back from the jewler on Friday and have only been taking it off to shower
its half moss agate and half pearls
just some cheap fresh water from Wen pearls i brought that wernt quite suitable for their intended purpose and they had just been lying around but looking quite pretty
so one half is the moss agate and the other half the white pearls and for good luck a 1970's silver N pendant (N for Nicky) that ive had for ever but havnt worn in years in the middle
i must post a picture tomorrow

anyway im sitting here at 1am playing around with some bigger round white freshies, also that turned out to be not quite right for something else, the luster is a bit lacking but i still have left over moss agate still lying around even after taking out the ones i want to make a rope with
so this one will be altanating, green and white
just a bit of fun
maybe matinne length

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results