shape
carat
color
clarity

Issues With Upgrading a Sapphire "Promise" Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

brendaman

Shiny_Rock
While waiting until my sapphire e-ring is done (and given to me by SO), I''m movnig to the "promise" ring SO gave me some time ago when we didn''t know much about sapphires. I really like the ring and it does have sentimental value, but I really want to upgrade the sapphire. I''ve already asked Jeff White to find one for me in Tucson and do an oval cut like the original. He''s mentioned that this is a difficult task and that it would be easier if I had some flexibility with the head of the ring. I have already asked about this, but did not provide any pics. It took me a while to take them, but here they are below.

The sapphire does sit flush on the longer portion of the setting, but I don''t think I care if it doesn''t. My only concern is that the replacement sapphire sit/fit securely in the setting. Does that mean I have flexibility to change the head of the ring or does having flexibility entail having the goldsmith rework the head?

ManuelSapphire.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am by now means an expert but based on what I''ve been told about reworks on my rings; it doesn''t look like they could replace the head on this ring. Your ring is lovely. You might do better to have someone cut you a sapphire to the size of the one already in there. I had Dan Stair cut me a RB stone to size and it turned out amazing. Good luck.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know what? I really think you ought to leave that ring as is, especially since you are planning to get a new sapphire e-ring. You could probably buy a whole new ring for what it would cost to redo the whole top of that ring to accommodate a new stone and reset the side stones. And in effect, it wouldn''t be the same ring anyway. Maybe you can save it for a future daughter or granddaughter. That''s what I''ve done with my old jewelry that I don''t wear anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results