shape
carat
color
clarity

Issues with custom setting. Trade input please. How much can you polish platinum?

hopingforthebest

Rough_Rock
(Sorry! Repost!) First time posting. Looking for input from the trade members. Had a custom platinum setting made. The initial "finished" product had dimpling/pits in the finish. There were some other issues as well. I've been told that these will be able to be fixed by polishing/buffing them out. Can I get some input on what type of issues can be solved with polishing/buffing and what type of issues cannot be corrected with polishing? I'm thinking the setting should be re-cast but not sure as I'm not a professional. Thanks much!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
pictures?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Details matter. Not all problems are solved the same way. Polishing platinum dents is rarely the solution unless what you want is shiny dents. That doesn't mean it can't be addressed, just that 'polishing' probably isn't the path.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Platinum doesn’t polish in the same way as gold or most other metals. It’s more malleable. The way to remove dings and scratches is more like burnishing than what people tend to think of as polishing. Imagine you’re trying to polish a stick of butter. With some things, like wide-open areas of high polish, that’s relatively easy. Inside of high-detail areas, it’s pretty difficult.

hopingforthebest

Rough_Rock
Platinum doesn’t polish in the same way as gold or most other metals. It’s more malleable. The way to remove dings and scratches is more like burnishing than what people tend to think of as polishing. Imagine you’re trying to polish a stick of butter. With some things, like wide-open areas of high polish, that’s relatively easy. Inside of high-detail areas, it’s pretty difficult.

Thank you for your response! I do have additional concerns. Anyway I can provide pictures and/or more details privately? Kind regards.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Please understand that I do charge to do that, and normally I won't comment on a specific piece without inspecting it. Have you spoken to the manufacturer? What did they tell you?

hopingforthebest

Rough_Rock
Ah, you can tell I'm a newbie here! Attached is a picture of the ring initially presented to me as finished and ready to ship. As you can easily see this is not a quality finished product. The baguette on the right side has been changed out to one that lines up so there's not a jog in the channel. The rest (pits and dimples, rough channel edges) are to be remedied by polishing. I just don't know if I should be requesting a different approach to correct the issues. Any input is appreciated. Thank you! Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 9.54.09 PM.png

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
do you have a side picture or other angles?

hopingforthebest

Rough_Rock
Only one...I didn't need to see anymore as I rejected it as finished Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 10.15.13 PM.png .

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
From what I can see in the pictures it looks like it just wasn`t finished.
I would give them a chance to finish it if they are shipping it to you ask for a bunch of picturea before they ship.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
If they say this is finished I would ask them to fix it and ask for the pictures again.

hopingforthebest

Rough_Rock
Yep. That is where we are right now. I bought the diamond about a month ago and those pictures were provided about two weeks ago. It was "finished" yesterday but rejected by my contact as still not ready. I will keep you updated. I don't expect to see it in video/pictures until next week. Thank you!!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty.
Not to let the jeweler off the hook from providing you a pristine product, but do keep in mind that it will get wear and tear as time goes on. Again, of course, you should be able to start off without the head start on dings!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks much better! Let us know what you think when you get it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results