shape
carat
color
clarity

ISO something "big" with a bit of warmth

apricots

Rough_Rock
This forum is fantastic-- so much great info to take in! Looking to you guys to help me find a new stone for a ring.

- Budget: under $15k for the stone
- NOT round or pear
- warm or yellow preferred but not required. I think I could get my color fix with some colored side stones or halo.
- vendor with an upgrade/trade in policy a plus

Something like this piqued my interest... https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/7....-Cut-Cushion-Diamond/D52465530?rfr=pricescope. It's quite a bit under budget but I am not going to complain about that. :)

I am not finding many big fancy yellow or fancy light yellow stones but have read here that most places are switching production to colorless stones vs. the colored stones that they used to produce. Are there vendors I should look to specifically? Are there non-PS vendors that have more of these?

Thanks in advance!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Hi, I have a couple of questions...

Are you looking for a warm color, like an M, or a yellow?
How big is "big"?
Are you sold on a lab, or consider lower colored earth mined?

apricots

Rough_Rock
Hi, I have a couple of questions...

Are you looking for a warm color, like an M, or a yellow?
How big is "big"?
Are you sold on a lab, or consider lower colored earth mined?

Sure! Happy to clarify!

Warm as in something K-Z but not much into the bright/deep saturated fancy yellows. I really like stones with some character.

Large as in 11/12mm+? ... depending on the shape/proportions.

Re: lab vs. mined, I'd go with a lower color earth mined but I doubt I can swing it in the budget.

Last edited:

springsparkle

Shiny_Rock
I was looking for something similar and couldn’t find many nice warm (K-Z) lab diamonds. I ended up buying a mined 2.88ct OEC in O/P color, and the full ring including the setting would be within your budget.

ETA I saw that you’re looking for 12mm+ - my OEC is only about 9mm so it wouldn’t meet the criteria! It will be close with the bezel setting it’s in though.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
@springsparkle that was my concern. The warm diamonds are usually earth grown. I am digging for you though.

@apricots, the stone you selected concerns me, I see striations in it.

I'll see what I can find!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I looked all over, looks like labs go to "L' or so, and that's it.

apricots

Rough_Rock
I looked all over, looks like labs go to "L' or so, and that's it.

Appreciate the searching!! Can you tell me more about the concerns with the stone I linked? Does that mean that the facets may look blurred/muddy? Light return isn't great? I'm intentionally looking for something to put in an antique feeling ring. If I can't find a lab to suit that style, I'll move to look for a more colorless oval.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I am not sure about the light return, but I am worried about the internal graining. This can be a by-product of manufacture. I am not one of the experts to explain it in greater depth, but it causes an issue in clarity. Think cheap glass vs crystal.
Maybe others can confirm what I believe I am seeing here.

striations.png

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I am sure a cool old cut can be found for you.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

I would reach out and see if Jon has anything for you. He cuts lovely cushions and an oval with good light return.

springsparkle

Shiny_Rock
This is not quite as warm as you were looking for at an I color, but it looks like a charming stone.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

apricots

Rough_Rock
This is not quite as warm as you were looking for at an I color, but it looks like a charming stone.

I found this one too! I do like it. Looks very nice.

springsparkle

Shiny_Rock
This one is colorless, but it looks like a beautiful antique cushion and would look lovely with some emerald or sapphire side stones. Or maybe in a rose gold halo.

apricots

Rough_Rock
This one is colorless, but it looks like a beautiful antique cushion and would look lovely with some emerald or sapphire side stones. Or maybe in a rose gold halo.

The link didn't go to a specific stone-- do you remember the specs so I can search for it?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I'm going to throw an unsolicited idea out here too. I know you want that 13mm, but with your love of old cut warm stones, I would also hunt for a smaller M-Q true antique cut. I have one (but more modest in size) and the old cuts can be so endearing. No way would you make it to 13mm with the stone alone, but the light show in low lighting from an old antique would steal your heart.

Oh, and a small bezel or halo would hit the 13mm.

/end unsolicited advice

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

apricots

Rough_Rock
I am not sure about the light return, but I am worried about the internal graining. This can be a by-product of manufacture. I am not one of the experts to explain it in greater depth, but it causes an issue in clarity. Think cheap glass vs crystal.
Maybe others can confirm what I believe I am seeing here.

striations.png

:lol: of course after I post it and convince myself it might be worth seeing in person... it gets pulled from the site.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
:lol: of course after I post it and convince myself it might be worth seeing in person... it gets pulled from the site.

I'm so sorry about that.

apricots

Rough_Rock
I'm going to throw an unsolicited idea out here too. I know you want that 13mm, but with your love of old cut warm stones, I would also hunt for a smaller M-Q true antique cut. I have one (but more modest in size) and the old cuts can be so endearing. No way would you make it to 13mm with the stone alone, but the light show in low lighting from an old antique would steal your heart.

Oh, and a small bezel or halo would hit the 13mm.

/end unsolicited advice

Love all the advice! I am coming around to the idea that a good vintage feeling setting might satisfy my desire for an antique feeling ring overall--and a warm stone might not be totally needed.

What are your go-to places to hunt for true antique cuts?

Some background: This is for an engagement ring but I am a long time jewelry collector (and trader/swapper/reseller). It has taken me a while to come to the conclusion that I want something fun and sparkly--and I will probably upgrade or change to something else in a few years. This is what makes lab so appealing is that you can "play" with big stones and not spend the $80k for an earth grown stone. What DOES worry me about LGD is the resale value but for the cost savings, I think I'm at peace. I've sold off most of my earth mined diamonds including a 4.77 ct fancy yellow that I thought I'd keep forever. [This is all more background than you wanted to know. LOL]

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
There are a few beloved around here.

Give them a call for best service.

And back to Distinctive Gems for high precisions old cuts - possibly he could cut the diamond of your dreams in lab, or maybe find lower color material.

I love hearing about you, and what you're looking for. I have 5 e-rings now, counting the one on the way. I really get the switching around :D. Sounds like fun. And the hunt is great!

Another idea is keeping an eye on Loupe Troop. Sometimes folks here sell great stones of a good size. Keep an eye on the "Preloved" forum. Sometimes they do not list items on LT, but offer them up to our cozy little group here.

Welcome to PS!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Ok so I know you said no rounds, but I can't help it. This is LOVELY IMO

And this is also nice but I worry it might not be eye clean: https://www.adiamor.com/Lab-Diamonds/4.33-ct-K-SI1-Excellent-Cut-Oval-Diamond/D52625201?rfr=search

HPHT K color with GCAL 8X - this is PERFECT!

springsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Love all the advice! I am coming around to the idea that a good vintage feeling setting might satisfy my desire for an antique feeling ring overall--and a warm stone might not be totally needed.

What are your go-to places to hunt for true antique cuts?

Some background: This is for an engagement ring but I am a long time jewelry collector (and trader/swapper/reseller). It has taken me a while to come to the conclusion that I want something fun and sparkly--and I will probably upgrade or change to something else in a few years. This is what makes lab so appealing is that you can "play" with big stones and not spend the $80k for an earth grown stone. What DOES worry me about LGD is the resale value but for the cost savings, I think I'm at peace. I've sold off most of my earth mined diamonds including a 4.77 ct fancy yellow that I thought I'd keep forever. [This is all more background than you wanted to know. LOL]

I would talk to Adam at Old World Diamonds and tell him your budget and what you’re looking for. He has tons of stones, and more available than what’s on his website.

apricots

Rough_Rock
Welcome to PS!

:) Thanks. I've actually been on PS for geez... 12-13 years but have been inactive for quite some time. The "reset password" feature doesn't seem to work so I just started a fresh account.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I would report and see if admin can help you get back on the old profile.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results