shape
carat
color
clarity

Is Your Stone Really An AGS 000 ?????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been reading some posts that say various rounds and princesses are AGS 0 or in some cases AGS triple 000''s.

Consumers should check to make sure that the diamond being represented as an AGS 0 Cut grade has the AGS document stating it.

AGS 0''s or triple 000''s FOR ROUND STONE SHAPES are often represented using the Sarin, or Megascope (OGI) rating. Many of these stones may in fact not be AGS 0 cut grade. Sarin and OGI are basing the AGS grade by using a license to do so from AGS, however that system is based on the OLD AGS rating system for cut grade.

To be assured you''re getting a NEW AGS CUT GRADED stone, you either need to make sure it has an AGS report or it has been graded by an AGS member with the New AGS PGS software.

It is also recommended to view the stone in the desktop ASET or the Presentation ASET.

Consumer and other information is at AGS''s two sites:
www.agslab.com
www.agsaid.com

Totally understanding how to interpret the PGS report and the ASET image does take a little studying for consumers as well as some trade members.

If a diamond just has a GIA/ IGI/ EGL or other lab grading report ( or just an OGI or Sarin report) I''d recommend that on what basis was the stone cut graded, and whether it is the new cut grade system, which takes into consideration the light performance of the stone, as well as its proportions, rather than the old system, which just makes the grading conclusion based on proportions only.

Rockdoc

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Sorry I had the wrong link pasted in the previous posting... I think I''ve fixed it.

Rockdoc

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the mention, Bill.

Date: 8/13/2006 4:43:34 PM
Author:RockDoc

Consumer and other information is at AGS's two sites:

www.agslab.com
www.agsaid.com
These are great sites for our regulars to visit (if they have not already). Wink's testimonial is still on the main page for those who have interest and have not read it.

AGS 0's or triple 000's FOR ROUND STONE SHAPES are often represented using the Sarin, or Megascope (OGI) rating. Many of these stones may in fact not be AGS 0 cut grade. Sarin and OGI are basing the AGS grade by using a license to do so from AGS, however that system is based on the OLD AGS rating system for cut grade... (snip) ...If a diamond just has a GIA/ IGI/ EGL or other lab grading report ( or just an OGI or Sarin report) I'd recommend that on what basis was the stone cut graded, and whether it is the new cut grade system, which takes into consideration the light performance of the stone, as well as its proportions, rather than the old system, which just makes the grading conclusion based on proportions only.
It's going to continue to be confusing though, Bill.

AGS is still allowing diamonds to be submitted for grading under the old proportions-based system - and will issue an old proportions-based DQD that says Ideal. As long as this service is offered, sellers claiming 'Ideal' stratus for diamonds based on old AGS measurements have a leg to stand on; albeit a non-light performance, less elite, out of date leg.

To be assured you're getting a NEW AGS CUT GRADED stone, you either need to make sure it has an AGS report or it has been graded by an AGS member with the New AGS PGS software.

Sound advice. If it is not accompanied by an AGS report and has not been graded by an AGS member then use of the term 'Ideal' bears some investigation.

More information: http://www.agslab.com/faqs_con_documentation.html

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results