shape
carat
color
clarity

Is your diamond goes “dark”?

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
I never see a diamond thats bigger than 2ct up close before, then I got this 3ct spread J color. I’m curious, does big diamond goes dark like this? Or its due to super ideal cut diamond?
I saw pictures of CBI stones that looks dark in certain lighting, but CBI owners said it doesn’t looks dark in real life and its only because of the camera, while this stone goes completely gray in yellow kitchen light in real life, does anyone have stone that have the same effect under certain lighting? Can someone enlighten me of what’s happening here? In real life it goes completely dark grey, yes it does spark while going completely dark.

7E41747B-8D96-41C8-89AF-BC60BC5A05B7.jpeg

KLE

Shiny_Rock
Yes! In certain lighting conditions it goes dark and from what I understand is a product of the cut.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Assess your lighting environment.
You may think your kitchen is well lit. But, the diamond is probably drawing light from 1~5 light sources from very specific angles and directions only. The diamond is mainly facing you, the camera and the dark ceiling, and the diamond showing the reflection of those. Typical kitchen counter lighting.

You are going to see a similar effect in the car. With a lot of windows it is well lit. But when you hold a diamond to take a photo (the hand on the wheel), it typically faces the dark grey ceiling and appears dark and lifeless.

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
@KLE @flyingpig
So, in conclusion, under the same lighting, same spot same way I’m looking at them, any other diamonds with super ideal cut will resulting the same dark lifeless effect too? Even if its higher color diamonds?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Clean it? Do you have a Loupe?

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
Its clean, its just out of the box as I just got them. I don’t think its dirty problem, its completely fine in other lighting conditions but went completely gray&dark in my kitchen. Its even darker & gray in person than in picture. Thats why I’m asking here if its normal and other super ideal stone will be dark too under same condition

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@KLE @flyingpig
So, in conclusion, under the same lighting, same spot same way I’m looking at them, any other diamonds with super ideal cut will resulting the same dark lifeless effect too? Even if its higher color diamonds?

Correct. Other super ideal cut diamonds will perform the same under the same lighting.

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
Ideal cut diamonds go dark in strong direct light like directly under a kitchen spotlight or direct sun. I have an idea-cut OEC and the same thing happens. Only a poorly cut diamond will be white in those lighting conditions.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think all well cut diamonds go dark in bright lighting. My diamond is extremely well cut and never goes dark. It always sparkles in any lighting ; which frankly is what i want in a diamond. Why would i want a stone that goes dark?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think all well cut diamonds go dark in bright lighting. My diamond is extremely well cut and never goes dark. It always sparkles in any lighting ; which frankly is what i want in a diamond. Why would i want a stone that goes dark?

This is a great question?!!! I wonder if anyone has quantified how much time we spend under which lighting to factor that in to one’s choice of diamond. Maybe that should be part of the hca score or at least a recommended consideration.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
This is a great question?!!! I wonder if anyone has quantified how much time we spend under which lighting to factor that in to one’s choice of diamond. Maybe that should be part of the hca score or at least a recommended consideration.

That is a great idea! Also i think it should be more widely known; lots of threads about ppl concerned because their stone goes dark.
Also, how to determine if it's dark because of a poor cut, not a good cut. (Or if it matters)

KLE

Shiny_Rock
@KLE @flyingpig

Mine is a CBI color E, so it's not a color factor! Mine looks "dark" (really like a steely look) in direct sunlight like others said. Took some quick (not good) pics to show you. I just turned my body slightly to get the different brightness. My stone is brightest in filtered sunlight though!

Attachments

• tempImagecRUGRu.png
    tempImagecRUGRu.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 132
  • tempImageyJmsnP.png
    tempImageyJmsnP.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 131

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
I somehow stumbled upon this old discussion in PS regarding this matter, it was a very old post, in this thread they’re saying that a diamond shouldn’t go dark under any lighting conditions?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Off on a tangent ..
And i wish my smilies would work

But i have one ring with white saphires and about the only tune it trully sparkles is in blinding sunlight

....I'll be off now

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
These two pictures were taken on the same day. It’s crazy how dark this ideal cut goes.

Attachments

• F41971DE-1AB9-41B4-B58E-1FF7670116F6.jpeg
    F41971DE-1AB9-41B4-B58E-1FF7670116F6.jpeg
    352.3 KB · Views: 36
  • CAAF7205-9E00-473A-8A68-3D4CC8F4E89F.jpeg
    CAAF7205-9E00-473A-8A68-3D4CC8F4E89F.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 35

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
Correct. Other super ideal cut diamonds will perform the same under the same lighting.

Am I correct in my thinking that a higher pavillion angle will lessen the darkening effect? I don't remember where I read this on here but I think I remember that an angle over 40.6 will give more brilliance rather than fire?

This darkening effect is the one thing that is holding me back from buying an ACA, I know that not all AVCs go as dark but I wish I was able to predict which ones are more likely to do this. I do know that ideal cuts will do this but are there angle combinations will make it less likely to happen or not happen as much?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I do not have any diamonds that do that (3x, BG, WF).

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Am I correct in my thinking that a higher pavillion angle will lessen the darkening effect? I don't remember where I read this on here but I think I remember that an angle over 40.6 will give more brilliance rather than fire?

This darkening effect is the one thing that is holding me back from buying an ACA, I know that not all AVCs go as dark but I wish I was able to predict which ones are more likely to do this. I do know that ideal cuts will do this but are there angle combinations will make it less likely to happen or not happen as much?

The pavilion mains (arrows) in a 35/40.9 diamond draw and reflect from a lower angle than those in 34/40.6. So your statement is somewhat correct. I do not recall exact CA/PA in AVCs. But AVRs normally have super steep and deep combo like 37/41.4. Under the ASET, steep and deep OECs are almost completely red with minimal blue, and should have less darkening effect in manu cases.
Having that said lighting condition is also important. Going back to OP's photo, none of AVR, AVC, ACA, CBI, Solasfera, BG Black, JP Octagon will perform well in that particular condition. I bet a average leaky oval or crushed ice cushion/radiant will outperfom and appear brighter.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
@RetroTreeGal does that bother you?
It would be so disappointing to me if i got an ideal cut & it went dark in bright light.

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
The pavilion mains (arrows) in a 35/40.9 diamond draw and reflect from a lower angle than those in 34/40.6. So your statement is somewhat correct. I do not recall exact CA/PA in AVCs. But AVRs normally have super steep and deep combo like 37/41.4. Under the ASET, steep and deep OECs are almost completely red with minimal blue, and should have less darkening effect in manu cases.
Having that said lighting condition is also important. Going back to OP's photo, none of AVR, AVC, ACA, CBI, Solasfera, BG Black, JP Octagon will perform well in that particular condition. I bet a average leaky oval or crushed ice cushion/radiant will outperfom and appear brighter.

Thank you that's very interesting. Is it rare to find a super ideal with a crown angle of that size though? I'm looking specifically at WF ACA's and they all seem to be in the 34 range. Also is the darkening more common in larger stones? I feel like small stones tend to be white in most lighting conditions.

Sorry for hijacking your post @munchee !! This topic such a thorn for me :???:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a great idea! Also i think it should be more widely known; lots of threads about ppl concerned because their stone goes dark.
Also, how to determine if it's dark because of a poor cut, not a good cut. (Or if it matters)

I'm curious what the numbers are on your stone @Polabowla . Can you post a pic of your report or at least list the 4 main numbers out
plus the lower halves? Might be helpful for discussion. Thanks

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you that's very interesting. Is it rare to find a super ideal with a crown angle of that size though? I'm looking specifically at WF ACA's and they all seem to be in the 34 range. Also is the darkening more common in larger stones? I feel like small stones tend to be white in most lighting conditions.

Sorry for hijacking your post @munchee !! This topic such a thorn for me :???:
The alternating pattern of pavilion mains (arrows) and lower girdle facets (facets between arrows) is THE main feature of H&A super ideal diamonds such as WF ACA. It is generally accepted (by most PSers), a super ideal cut MRB should have CA of 34~35 and PA of 40.6~40.9.

If you do not like contrast and looking for a steep/deep diamond, you are in the wrong aisle.

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@RetroTreeGal does that bother you?
It would be so disappointing to me if i got an ideal cut & it went dark in bright light.

Well it’s a new stone, and this was the first instance I’d seen that happen. I was in a room with LED spotlights in the ceiling. I was disappointed, yes. If I move directly under one of the lights rather than in between two of them I got random shots of fire.

edit: I’m still getting used to how this diamond reacts vs the mushy shallow one that was in this ring before. That stone would’ve likely had a dull white mush glow with a hole in the middle in that lighting.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Im sorry @RetroTreeGal !

@tyty333 my ring has a heart shaped non super ideal stone. Do you still want the stats?
I bought it before my ps days & never heard of super ideals till ps. But i like to learn about these things.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Im sorry @RetroTreeGal !

@tyty333 my ring has a heart shaped non super ideal stone. Do you still want the stats?
I bought it before my ps days & never heard of super ideals till ps. But i like to learn about these things.

How bout just the depth and table? I was hoping to be able to compare it with other round diamonds...but thats ok. Still curious what
make be helping it not go dark!

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
61% table
44.3% depth
Dimensions are 8.18x8.92x3.95

I should add the very top of the table does show a moon of dark area when you tilt it at a certain angle; not sure if that's obstruction or just a facet reflection

Last edited:

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
The alternating pattern of pavilion mains (arrows) and lower girdle facets (facets between arrows) is THE main feature of H&A super ideal diamonds such as WF ACA. It is generally accepted (by most PSers), a super ideal cut MRB should have CA of 34~35 and PA of 40.6~40.9.

If you do not like contrast and looking for a steep/deep diamond, you are in the wrong aisle.

Hmm, in that case how would a 34.8/40.8 behave do you think? This seems like the upper limit offered by WF, although I have seen a few 40.9 PA here and there. This is all so new to me so I am still wrapping my head around it all, I just wonder if there are combinations which give specific looks within the superideals because it seems like not everyone experiences this with their diamonds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results