shape
carat
color
clarity

Is your ceremony and reception in different locations?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Is it too much to ask guests to drive to the ceremony and then to the reception if they are about a mile apart? How are your weddings? What do most people do?

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
I think a mile is fine! I had a friend who had the reception 1.5 hours drive away from the ceremony.

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
Having guests drive between the ceremony and reception is totally normal (and is probably more common than the wedding-and-reception-all-at-one-venue plan)! And having your two venues only a mile away is really nice- people won''t get lost while driving and it''s a quick trip. Don''t sweat it, you''re fine.
1.gif

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with everyone. Usually the ceremony is at a church and reception at banquet hall/hotel. VERY normal to have it at 2 places and I'm sure all of your guests will love the fact that they are only 1 mile apart!!

blondebunny

Brilliant_Rock
my stepbrother just got married in december and they were at separate locations, and they were like maybe 10 miles apart...and we got lost.. so a mile would be fantastic! :)

meresal

Ideal_Rock
I would say 80% of the time they are at different locations... and can I just say thank you for anyone attending your wedding. Only a mile!!! Nice planning. I''ve driven up to 45 minutes for a reception.

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
most ceremonies and receptions are in separate locations so you won''t be surprising anyone.

ours will be at the same location as we are having a destination wedding and don''t want people to get lost. and the venue is perfect for both occassions.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
It is VERY normal, especially for couples to plan to marry in a church. The last wedding I went to was about 1/2 hour away so a mile is AMAZINGLY convenient!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Echoing what the other posters said, it is very normal to have them in separate places. My ceremony will be at a church, and my reception will be at another site. I think a mile apart is fantastic! Most guests expect that they will have to travel between the ceremony and reception sites.

If you are concerned about transportation, you can hire some sort of shuttle to take them from one place to the other, but I really think that''s unnecessary unless one of the places is somehow hard to get to or lacks parking. Example: my roommate''s wedding is going to be on a mountain, up a dirt road, so she is providing a shuttle to take guests up there if they do not want to drive up the dirt road.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Mine is at a different place. I REALLY don''t think it''s a big deal. I think there are many, many weddings that take place in a church and very few receptions that take place in church basements
2.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve never been to a wedding where the ceremony and the reception have been in different places so I think it''s fine. Mine will also be about a mile apart. It''s no distance at all.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for the comments.

There''s this hotel where we would love to have the reception and the pics of the beach ceremony were beautiful...until I saw it myself. They use a very public part of the beach and the specific spot is right next to a basketball court. I just had visions of people playing frisbee and basketball and using the showers while we are exchanging vows.
14.gif

So right when I was giving up on the idea of that hotel, I drove about a miile up and noticed that there was a church. I got out of the car and it is beautiful.

Thanks!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Definitely not too much at all! We looked into this, but nixed it because our distance was more like 20 minutes. It seemed too far considering the roads they would have to take and how confusing it was. So we moved both things (wedding and reception) to the second location. But in your case, one mile? That''s fine!
36.gif
36.gif

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/20/2008 9:02:57 PM
Author: fieryred33143
Thank you all for the comments.

There''s this hotel where we would love to have the reception and the pics of the beach ceremony were beautiful...until I saw it myself. They use a very public part of the beach and the specific spot is right next to a basketball court. I just had visions of people playing frisbee and basketball and using the showers while we are exchanging vows.
14.gif

So right when I was giving up on the idea of that hotel, I drove about a miile up and noticed that there was a church. I got out of the car and it is beautiful.

Thanks!
Haha, sounds like you made the right decision! You don''t want to take those kinds of risks for the most important day of your life thus far! As soon as you said basketball court and public beach I envisioned the exact same thing you did...sweaty guys cursing about foul calls and half-naked girls prancing around you all!
14.gif

bensbride

Brilliant_Rock
My ceremony is about 15 miles from my reception, and so far nobody has outright refused to make the trek. Its a very simple 15 miles, though...

I think you''ll be fine, just give directions. Some people are just the type that would get lost just crossing the street, but I think for the most part your one mile caravan will arrive intact.

julesbeth

Brilliant_Rock
Oh wow! Your two sites sound perfect! Congrats on finding something so perfect - AND a mile is nothing! Some people could even walk, really.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results