shape
carat
color
clarity

Is yellow gold making a comeback?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was in Costco and some Jewelry stores yesterday and it seems a lot more of the bling is set in yellow gold now than a year ago.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont know for sure, but I tend to like yellow gold better, mainly because I wouldnt want to have to mess with having a ring "dipped" I like low maintenance jewerly
2.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
don''t know either, but I''ve been wearing yellow gold for the past five years since I got married, mainly because it looks better on my skin tone, and I like the contrast of the diamond against yellow metal.

Sam82

Shiny_Rock
I'm a yellow gold lover too. I feel like I too am seeing more people wearing yellow gold, so maybe it is making a comeback.

Maybe BN will get the hint. One of the things that turned me off to that company was their paltry yg selection. When I emailed them about it, they told me that it simply was not in demand (this was a little over a year ago).

Camille

Shiny_Rock
Not sure, my jeweler had a ''lot'' more yellow on display yesterday. He said was going to add 21-22k yellow next week while he worked on my watch.
30.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I wear platinum, but I, too, LOVE the contrast of white diamonds in YG.
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

I''d love to see more of it!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks like it is. I am see more and more of it.

I am wearing yellow gold a lot now It's been 15 years since I have worn any. I love the Roberto Coin tension set Diamond hoops and matching bangle bracelet... That was my lastest splurge.

I think a lot of the yellow gold I have looks so 80"s so won't wear it..

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sure hope so! I am tired of being "out".

JSRNM

Shiny_Rock
I noticed a lot more gold in the stores. I was in Tiffany''s, VCA, Graff, HW, and Fred Leighton''s last week window shopping and way more gold especially at Tiffany''s and VCA.

librarychickie

Shiny_Rock
I sure hope so. Although my wedding set is platinum, I would LOVE to have the Lucida in gold or an Etoile set in gold. I already have the Etoile band; now.... I need to work on the solitaire!

~LC

gold lucida.png

librarychickie

Shiny_Rock
Gold Etoile... However, I''d probably do the solitaire a bit smaller. With a diamond this big, the band is very wide. I think .75 ct would be perfect!

~LC

gold etoile.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I think it is based on what I''ve seen in stores, but I personally prefer white. It''s a little ironic because most of my finer pieces are set in YG - I got them a long time ago, when YG was bigger than WG.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
10/4/2009 12:34:42 PM
Author:kenny

I was in Costco and some Jewelry stores yesterday and it seems a lot more of the bling is set in yellow gold now than a year ago.

Kenny...you already started one of the longest threads on yellow gold versus platinum in Pricescope history once already! Are you going for a record? ;-)

AGBF
34.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, thanks for the stroll down memory lane AGBF.
I was just remembering that guy that I mentioned in my opening post back in 2005.
I'll never forget how horrified he was about people wearing yellow gold.

Personally, I think styles and fads are lame.
I say, wear whatever you like.
It's all good.

It just took me by surprise when I saw so much yellow gold in the cases yesterday.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I notice more YG in the stores. I have both WG and YG but I tend to prefer YG.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who decides these things?

Does someone up there set some fashion alarm clock, or something?

It happens to skirt lengths, and the shape of glasses frames too.

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yellow gold is definitely making a comeback! We saw the trend a little over a year ago, with many designers offering pieces in high karat yellow gold (20k, 22k). I myself have been wearing platinum for the last 15 years or so but have acquired a few pieces in yellow gold lately. Mixing metals has become very trendy as well!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yah, I''ve noticed that too. Although I''ve always worn yellow gold, and think it''s certainly fair to say I''m in the minority. Which I don''t mind at all!
1.gif
I have a few white gold pieces that I purchased because they mix tastefully with all of my yellow.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love yellow gold, and have been wearing my YG wedding set for the past 12 1/2 years. I can''t see me ever changing it.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/4/2009 11:12:22 PM
Author: kenny
Who decides these things?

Does someone up there set some fashion alarm clock, or something?

It happens to skirt lengths, and the shape of glasses frames too.

Yup. A group of "someones" decides. Color trends are forecast years - yes, years -- in advance, and affect everything from the color of the paint on your walls to the color of the sweaters available at Macy's.

After so many years of white gold, people's eyes become accustomed to it, and we yearn for something new. Yellow gold still looks very 1980s to many of us, but, trust me, in a few years it won't, as designers incorporate it into new jewelry designs -- the "high karat gold" trend is just the start.

Check out this link on color forecasting link

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
Y''all might be shocked by this, but: In some areas of the USA, YG is just now beginning to be replaced by white metals, lol. Just this past year, the numerous YG semi mounts left over from the ''90s have been bumped out of prime spots in the display cases by some WG with pave''. I went looking for a YG semi mount and had to buy one on ebay b/c all I could find here are diamond pave'' halos.

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
What you are noticing might be true in the states. But Aussies seem to prefer WG or Pt still
1.gif

I love all jewelry as long as they look pretty on my finger LOL

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
If it IS coming back – and I am seeing significantly more YG pieces offered – then, I am happy for it. If the metal is to be "white," then, it is platinum all the way for me. Otherwise, I much prefer the colors of rose and yellow gold against my skin, and I often prefer the beautiful contrast of the warmer golds with stones. It has been terribly frustrating all these years to see WG, WG, WG used in such a huge percentage of available settings. I can''t tell you how many times I''ve said to myself, "Lovely piece... I''d be mine if only it weren''t in WG." I think sarap''s post about yearning for something different is spot on.

Also, I think due to the economy downturn, I''m seeing a lot more silver being used for pieces that most likely would have been crafted in WG when funds flowed more freely... anyone else?

Amzizzle

Shiny_Rock
I''ve seen a lot of mixing metals as Grace said,and I actually really like the look but I''m not bold enough or fashion forward enough to mess with that trend yet. Oh and does anyone know if you have a ring dipped and want the original (say yellow gold) back,is there a way to do that? just curious.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m actually having my first gemstone piece made in YG
32.gif
. I''ve been a slave to WG and platinum for far too long. It''s time I let the gemstone (in this case, a grossular garnet) dictate what metal it wants to be set in.

I''m scared. Someone hold my hand.
2.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
10/6/2009 2:31:46 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier

I'm actually having my first gemstone piece made in YG
32.gif
. I've been a slave to WG and platinum for far too long. It's time I let the gemstone (in this case, a grossular garnet) dictate what metal it wants to be set in.

I'm scared. Someone hold my hand.
2.gif
Come on over to the gold thread and post about it, Lauren :). Lots of people will hold your hand and also follow your project with envy!

AGBF
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results