shape
carat
color
clarity

Is white gold better?

Lily Aldridge

Rough_Rock
Trade
I am planning to get a 14k white gold, is it better without rhodium?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rhodium makes white gold look whiter-- otherwise the color has a warmer cast. Rhodium is also harder than gold and will resist scratching.

You didn't mention what kind of jewelry item you are getting. If it's something that will get a lot of wear, like a ring, the rhodium will wear off faster and the ring will need to be re-plated periodically.

I expect a white diamond would look better if set in a ring that is rhodium plated. By the same token a diamond that is a bit yellowish might look even more yellowish if set in unplated white gold-- it might look better in unplated gold.

My replacement white gold wedding band is not plated with rhodium. I happen to prefer this warmer color and requested that it not be plated. I do find that scratches appear rather quickly and I have to take out the polishing cloth more often. My replacement engagement ring is a ruby and also is set in white gold without rhodium plating. I don't wear it every day so it doesn't get scratched quickly.

cieldkr

Rough_Rock
Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 1.43.10 AM.png Which one do you like better?

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love (unplated) 18K palladium white gold. Much warmer-looking with almost a slightly brownish cast. Non-allergenic (nickel-free). You never have to worry about re-plating.

There are a bunch of photos like this online (and this one may exaggerate the differences a bit):

Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 11.24.46 PM.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results