shape
carat
color
clarity

Is ths D worth getting!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stonelover

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
Have been following this forum as an observer and have just signed on and like diamonds which are in the colorless range. I found something but no sure whether it is worth getting as the table is just slightly larger than the depth and thought it should be the other way round. My girlfriend wants a " BIG" colorless stone with at least a vs clarity and this is what I found!
Hope to get some expert opinion. Any comments?

GIA,RB 1.39 Dvs2,7.33( 7.32-7.36),
depth 4.30mm 58.7%,crown 33.2'' 13.4%,pav 40.8'' 42.9%, table 4.33mm 59% ,culet 0.6% very small, girdle thin- med,polish- very good, symmetry- very good,fluor- none,
HCA 1.0ex ,ex/ex/ex/ex $9808

Thanks
wavey.gif

Newbie333

Rough_Rock
This post is to anyone:

I know this may sound stupid, but what does RB stand for???

I know it means a round stone, right?

But why "RB" ??

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
round brilliant

round being the shape, brilliant referring to the facet arrangement.

rbjd

Shiny_Rock
It stands for Round Brilliant, which is the name of the cut. Also happens to be my initials.

Newbie333

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys for the clarification!

Sorry "stonelover " for crowding your post with my separate question...

Hopefully someone here will get you the info you seek...

-NB333

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
No, IMHO, a D is not worth getting. An F stone is colorless. A G/H/I stone is near colorless. Few people, once set face up, can tell the difference in color.

While not a cut geek, Cut not color should be your main focus.

greengator

Rough_Rock
The stone could be an excellent cut.
The question about color has been raised many times and I've just been through this myself. Personally I won't go under a F if you like to stick with colorless, but there is noticeable difference between D and F if you set them bottom down side by side. I doubt you could tell the difference once the stone is set so the benefit between D and F is more Psychological than anything else.
Of course my finance chose to go with a D color over a F, knowing full well that she got the best quality stone money can buy.
I guess to her the preceived better quality is more important than size.
1.gif

So it is really a personal choice.
-- Larry

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I completely agree with greengator that the only reason to buy a "D" is psychological. I consider myself one of those people who is very sensitive to color, but I assure you that if a "D" colored stone an an "E" were placed a few feet apart on a table, I wouldn't be able to tell which was the "D" and which was the "E"!!!

I also tend to buy colorless stones then set them in yellow gold, which causes them to look less icy white than if they were set in platinum or white gold.

In short, I only buy high color stones because I know what I have!

Not all my diamonds are perfectly colorless; I own one "G" colored stone, which is lovely. I *have* decided that I no longer want to buy stones of G or lower color, though. On the other hand, I have several stones with cuts that are not only not ideal, but which are *far* from ideal! My largest stone is over 2 carats and is E color and VS clarity, but I think the table is 62%.

We all want different things!

read.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I like D color, but why dibn't you consider an F VS H&A?

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks like a good deal. If your girlfriend wants colorless, she wants colorless. If you wanted, you might consider an E or F color, but this diamond is a good deal.

As you have discovered, some stones with larger tables and smaller depths can have a visual effect that matches a stone cut to more standard measurements. And then your stone looks bigger for the same size -- a double bonus.

1 on the HCA is hard to beat. And the price seems good to me. Here are some similar stones for price comparison:

http://www.whiteflash.com/acut/diamond_details.asp?ItemCode=482506 price lower because of flourescence

http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/diamond_detail.cfm?did=1731396

I think you've found a winner (as long as it matches the GIA cert of course).

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
hey stonelover

I settled upon a D VS1 for my wife's replacement diamond. Why? I guess I'm a bit of a pretentious bastard. There. I said it. And my wife is worth it. I also like the idea of having a near-perfect stone on my wife's hand even though I could have bought an eye-clean stone twice as large for the same price. It's sort of our little secret.

I also bought Titleist Pro V1s imprinted with my newborn's name and birth details to give away instead of cigars. You could easily ask why top-dollar Titleists and not TopFlites since most of the people I'm giving them away to don't even golf. My answer to people thus far has been, "Nothing's too good for my girl."

All you can do is look and decide for yourself! Good luck!

R/A

Heyjud

Shiny_Rock
I side with all the posts that say
It's CUT that's counts - at the end of the day

No reason to pay much more for a D
You won't see a big difference from a F or G !!

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
I think when you're looking at things in this oversize carat size range, pickings are pretty slim relative to 1.0x, especially in a nicer cut, and when the right stone comes along it won't really matter to you whether it's D, E, or F. At VS2, the price difference really isn't huge anyway. And although you won't under jewelry store spots, yes you can tell the difference face-up from an F under many everyday lighting conditions at this size, even with a really fine make.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Well, one thing to consider is that is the GF hasn't done the research, she's not going to consider an F as desirable as a D. No matter how you try to tell her that those Pricescope experts said that the two are indistinguishble to the naked eye, she's stil not going to feel it. *Unless* size is so much more important to her that you're able to tell her that you had to go down to the F to give her a massive stone within your budget.

If you've done the research, you might as well go for the stone you've found. It's sounds pretty good for the price.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 7/3/2003 2:46
6.gif
9 PM Furthermore wrote:

Well. Don`t think you`ll be able to tell the difference between a D and an F once mounted... and there IS a price difference...Oh, I am a cantankerous tight fisted old devil, aren`t I ? ;-))))))))
----------------

I hear that age affects the eyesight?
1.gif

The character of ambient light makes a difference, and I think it's partly a function of size as well. But in cool diffuse lighting where there's little dispersion, I've been very surprised at how obvious this very difference (D-F) has seemed, mounted.

But I agree if once you add point light sources, dispersion, and a head shadow / contrast effect, even D-H or I can be difficult to impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results