shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this worth it?

hayzing

Rough_Rock
Hey guys, some of you know me from this thread:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-yeah-i-just-need-help.218062/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-yeah-i-just-need-help.218062/[/URL]

I'm in search of the center stone, and this is the best the jewelry store could do for my price range. I found some other options, but I was trying to do them a solid by buying something from THEM because they contacted Tacori on my behalf, and Tacori offered to set it and size it for free for me. So I felt sort of...in-debted to them. But I'm not going with it if it's not what I want. The pic they sent is sort of ok... it looked cloudy, but she assured me that it was just the shot. I asked for a video. So we'll see. It's too far to go and see it in person unless I was really really interested. And first I wanted you guys to look at the specs.

I tried putting this in the HCA (I heard you're supposed to use that???) and had difficulties but didn't know if I was doing something wrong???

Here is the attachment with the dimensions that she gave me. The price is 900(my budget was higher. They just didn't have anything else). I1clarity H color. Very good cut

img_0008_2.jpg

I also wasn't sure about the dimensions. Tacori told me 5 - 5.5 mm but the lady is a Platinum Tacori dealer and knows what ring I have, so hopefully she knows what she's saying when saying this will fit.

Is it worth it? Should I keep looking?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No deal. Only very good cut, extremely low crown angle which definitely does not work with the pavilion angle. H color is fine, I1 clarity is not acceptable for an engagement ring, in my opinion (usually NOT eyeclean or clarity affects brilliance). Skip it.

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0)

Also, there is a screening tool for GIA ex cut stones:

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

You want to see Excellent on light return, fire, and scintillation, and very good on spread. An overall score of 2.0 or lower means a diamond is worth exploring further (but a 1.0 isn’t necessarily better than 1.9).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd order a stone from a PS vendor.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, please don't buy that diamond! As kind as the jewelry store is, they are probably counting on you feeling "indebted" to them by contacting Tacori for you. I know you've said your GF isn't picky but you at the very least want to get something nice and you don't want to overpay for a not very well cut diamond.

hayzing

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys! That's what I thought. That's what my gut was telling me!

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
JDDN|1452802215|3976040 said:
No, please don't buy that diamond! As kind as the jewelry store is, they are probably counting on you feeling "indebted" to them by contacting Tacori for you. I know you've said your GF isn't picky but you at the very least want to get something nice and you don't want to overpay for a not very well cut diamond.

Hi JDDN - sorry, but I have to say that comment is a bit rough...you've got no idea of the jewellers intention - I know plenty of people in the industry (me included) that do plenty of things to help people all the time without expecting anything in return. It's a bit unfair to assume that just because someone is in business, that when they do something nice for someone they are trying to make them feel 'indebted' to you or have some other ulterior motive...sometimes you just want to do the right thing for people...just like you hope others will assist you should the occasion arise...sometimes it's just what it is...being helpful.
Now...having said all of that...you might be right...just please don't assume :lol:

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
When you run the numbers in the HCA it comes up as a 1.8 BIC which would still be considered acceptable to those who don't mind sacrificing fire for brightness. On the other hand, a diamond with clarity conditions that diminished light performance for an ER is a pass. Can you see it IRL?

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ADN said:

Hi JDDN - sorry, but I have to say that comment is a bit rough...you've got no idea of the jewellers intention - I know plenty of people in the industry (me included) that do plenty of things to help people all the time without expecting anything in return. It's a bit unfair to assume that just because someone is in business, that when they do something nice for someone they are trying to make them feel 'indebted' to you or have some other ulterior motive...sometimes you just want to do the right thing for people...just like you hope others will assist you should the occasion arise...sometimes it's just what it is...being helpful.
Now...having said all of that...you might be right...just please don't assume :lol:

ADN, you are totally right in calling me out on that. I've become a little skeptical and cynical due to some rotten experiences of my own, from friends of mine and posters here on PS. But you are completely right, it's wrong to assume they have the motive to try and get the OP to feel obligated. There are plenty of vendors (especially here on PS) who simply want to do right by the customer, sale or no sale. That being said, that was not a nice diamond at all! And it was overpriced! I would have felt differently if the stone was nicely cut and not overpriced. Offering a poorly cut expensive diamond doesn't automatically make a vendor nefarious, but I do feel that the quality of product combined with the price point of said product is somewhat indicative of the vendor's integrity. I know that's a lot to assume once again (and certainly not always the case). It's one thing to sell products that aren't top of the line at a fair price and to be transparent and up front about it. But so many times I've heard guys and gals come on here and say they were told what they bought was really nice and A) it is not and now the OP is really disappointed and B) it was totally over priced. So yes, I was assuming things I should not have, lol. Thanks for pointing that out. After all, this is a forum for everyone to learn. :wavey:

hayzing

Rough_Rock
JDDN|1452827731|3976194 said:
ADN said:

ADN, you are totally right in calling me out on that. I've become a little skeptical and cynical due to some rotten experiences of my own, from friends of mine and posters here on PS. But you are completely right, it's wrong to assume they have the motive to try and get the OP to feel obligated. There are plenty of vendors (especially here on PS) who simply want to do right by the customer, sale or no sale. That being said, that was not a nice diamond at all! And it was overpriced! I would have felt differently if the stone was nicely cut and not overpriced. Offering a poorly cut expensive diamond doesn't automatically make a vendor nefarious, but I do feel that the quality of product combined with the price point of said product is somewhat indicative of the vendor's integrity. I know that's a lot to assume once again (and certainly not always the case). It's one thing to sell products that aren't top of the line at a fair price and to be transparent and up front about it. But so many times I've heard guys and gals come on here and say they were told what they bought was really nice and A) it is not and now the OP is really disappointed and B) it was totally over priced. So yes, I was assuming things I should not have, lol. Thanks for pointing that out. After all, this is a forum for everyone to learn. :wavey:

Haha well, I think you may be right on it anyway. I was a little irked at the price especially when I've found better deals online. I'm just scared me turning them down (which I did) is going to make them not want to work with me. Which is sad actually bease I do intend to buy a matching wedding band and want to establish a relationship with a dealer so that can happen.

Out of curiosity what did you think of the link I sent??

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
hayzing|1452828750|3976197 said:
ADN said:

Haha well, I think you may be right on it anyway. I was a little irked at the price especially when I've found better deals online. I'm just scared me turning them down (which I did) is going to make them not want to work with me. Which is sad actually bease I do intend to buy a matching wedding band and want to establish a relationship with a dealer so that can happen.

JDDN - we're not all bad :angel: , but I can certainly understand where you're coming from...which itself is a real shame..that a few in this business can spoil it for so many...for both consumers and other dealers :wall: - - But this industry certainly isn't isolated...my wife is a dentist and is the most caring/gentle/compassionate person around...but she's also thrown in the same mix as the dodgy operators that ruin it for all... :cry: ...come to think of it...I'm surprised that with the reputation that both of our industries have, that we even have any friends :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hayzing... :doh: I hope it works out and the vendor isn't a dodgy :liar:
Cheers

hayzing

Rough_Rock
Haha! I hope the same!

I'm sure there are great places out there. Unfortunately, around here, I haven't had a lot of luck. The first vendor I went through stopped answering questions if I wasn't in store, and didn't really seem to want to help since I wasn't going through them to get the diamond (uh, everything they had was way, way out of my budget and IDJ had much better prices).

But if you guys get some free time, I'm about to bombard you with links.

I went through and found all of these (Ilya told me to browse the ebay store) and wanted to know if you guys liked any of these.

This one is the one I sent earlier. It does have a huge cutlet...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172060041869

But these are also a few as well (some of which Ilya recommended, others not. Some of the ones he recommended, were not within the mm range.. or round lol, so I didn't include those):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1-2-CARAT-F-VS2-ROUND-DIAMOND-LOOSE-EGL-USA-CERTIFIED-OLD-EUROPEAN-CUT-/401054145966?hash=item5d60b09dae

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-CT-ROUND-DIAMOND-EGL-USA-CERTIFIED-E-SI2-OLD-TRANSITIONAL-CUT-VINTAGE-0-56ct-/151947895836?hash=item2360cce41c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1920s-VINTAGE-0-59c-ROUND-DIAMOND-G-SI2-EGL-USA-CERT-OLD-EUROPEAN-CUT-LOOSE-MINE-/151947897872?hash=item2360ccec10

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIA-CERTIFIED-1-2ct-G-SI2-VINTAGE-OLD-EUROPEAN-CUT-ROUND-DIAMOND-ENGAGEMENT-OEC-/401054144164?hash=item5d60b096a4 I think this one is the one I think is the prettiest, by look -- but I don't know much about what I'm looking for in OEC

I thought this one was pretty, but I wasn't sure...because it doesn't look as round as some of the others http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-55ct-1900s-F-SI2-ANTIQUE-DIAMOND-OLD-EUROPEAN-MINER-CUT-ART-DECO-1-2-CARAT-/172060045279?hash=item280f93efdf

And then there's this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-VS1-ROUND-BRILLIANT-CUT-DIAMOND-EGL-USA-CERTIFIED-1-2ct-ENGAGEMENT-LOOSE-RBC-/401054144655?hash=item5d60b0988f

And then this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-67ct-GIA-CERTIFIED-VS2-ROUND-DIAMOND-LOOSE-OLD-EUROPEAN-CUT-ENGAGEMENT-3-4ct-/401054147097?hash=item5d60b0a219

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi hayzing, well......I have been doing a lot of research on old cuts as I am in the market for one myself. I will relay some of what I've discovered to you. Old cuts are hard to shop for by numbers alone. You really need more photos in different lighting, and definitely a video. An ASET would be nice as well but if you're buying from a well regarded trusted knowledgeable old cut vendor, then you could possibly skip the ASET. For someone brand new to old cuts, eBay is not necessarily the place to shop. You really need to know what you're doing to pick a good one. Someone like Grace from Jewelsbygrace or Erica from Loveaffairdiamonds, Adam from OldWorldDiamonds or GoodOldGold are good places to start. I would trust their input and all 3 vendors have great photos/videos/cut information to ensure you're picking something nice. I'm new to old cuts, so I definitely can't tell you if any of those stones are great/good/not good at all. Maybe one of the veterans here could. This isn't a negative about Ilya at all, rather I'm saying it's really tricky to pick nice old cuts!

One other thing....most here will tell you that the stone should have either a GIA or AGS report. I know there is a ton of debate on the other labs and I'm not even going to go there, but my concern is knowing what you're paying for. If EGL is grading a stone an F, VS2, then the vendor will list with the price point reflected in an F, VS2 stone. However, if GIA grades it as an I, SI2, then that price should be significantly lower. That's the argument and like I said, I'm not going to delve into that rabbit hole, rather I'm just putting it out there for consideration in your quest.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful with the links you sent. Are you firm on an old cut or are you open to a round brilliant?

hayzing

Rough_Rock
JDDN|1452836405|3976249 said:
Hi hayzing, well......I have been doing a lot of research on old cuts as I am in the market for one myself. I will relay some of what I've discovered to you. Old cuts are hard to shop for by numbers alone. You really need more photos in different lighting, and definitely a video. An ASET would be nice as well but if you're buying from a well regarded trusted knowledgeable old cut vendor, then you could possibly skip the ASET. For someone brand new to old cuts, eBay is not necessarily the place to shop. You really need to know what you're doing to pick a good one. Someone like Grace from Jewelsbygrace or Erica from Loveaffairdiamonds, Adam from OldWorldDiamonds or GoodOldGold are good places to start. I would trust their input and all 3 vendors have great photos/videos/cut information to ensure you're picking something nice. I'm new to old cuts, so I definitely can't tell you if any of those stones are great/good/not good at all. Maybe one of the veterans here could. This isn't a negative about Ilya at all, rather I'm saying it's really tricky to pick nice old cuts!

One other thing....most here will tell you that the stone should have either a GIA or AGS report. I know there is a ton of debate on the other labs and I'm not even going to go there, but my concern is knowing what you're paying for. If EGL is grading a stone an F, VS2, then the vendor will list with the price point reflected in an F, VS2 stone. However, if GIA grades it as an I, SI2, then that price should be significantly lower. That's the argument and like I said, I'm not going to delve into that rabbit hole, rather I'm just putting it out there for consideration in your quest.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful with the links you sent. Are you firm on an old cut or are you open to a round brilliant?

Lol, don't be sorry! I'm looking for any and all feedback.

I just went to eBay because people had mentioned Diamond Zone and Ilya, and I reached out to him via eBay.

If I went with him, I would request a video. I did once before when I was interested in one I ran across on eBay in my suggestions. I missed out on it. It was beautiful, to me.

Grace is looking for things, or she was, the last I heard from her just a few days ago...
I upped my budget with her, although it really hurt me to do so LOL, but I figured IF the jeweler is going to send my ring off to Tacori to be set and sized for free, then that saves over 100 dollars and therefore gives me a little wiggle room.

But no, I'm not firm on an old cut. I'm open to anything.

I just have no idea what to do and I'm starting to get really frustrated with the search lol. It isn't the search and the research (she's worth it) or the time I'm putting in. It's more so the fact that I'm constantly trying not to burn bridges with jewelers around me, since there are so few to choose from. Because I need a place that I can take my ring and stone to and have it done... but I don't want to jeopardize getting a good deal on a diamond to do that. I feel like a couple of places that I've spoken with have tried to take advantage of me already, and I just don't like dealing in things that I don't know a lot about. It makes me nervous of making the wrong choice.

And sadly, raising my budget any more really isn't an option -- and is the only downfall I have pretty much.

I would love to just go with IDJ or Whiteflash real quick, find a really nice stone that fits and be done with it ... but everything that I've found on there was out of budget, and going up any higher just really isn't in the cards.

But not going to be a Debby Downer! I'm going to keep searching.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh boy, I totally feel your dilemma. Have you actually asked IDJ or WF if they would set the stone in your setting for you?? Or if either one of them would send your ring and stone off to Tacori for you?? Explain to them your predicament and that you really, really want to purchase the stone from them. Both vendors are really wonderful.....hopefully like ADN described in that they will want to help you out.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ADN|1452833903|3976229 said:
hayzing|1452828750|3976197 said:
ADN said:

JDDN - we're not all bad :angel: , but I can certainly understand where you're coming from...which itself is a real shame..that a few in this business can spoil it for so many...for both consumers and other dealers :wall: - - But this industry certainly isn't isolated...my wife is a dentist and is the most caring/gentle/compassionate person around...but she's also thrown in the same mix as the dodgy operators that ruin it for all... :cry: ...come to think of it...I'm surprised that with the reputation that both of our industries have, that we even have any friends :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hayzing... :doh: I hope it works out and the vendor isn't a dodgy :liar:
Cheers

ADN - I definitely don't think you're all bad! I have also had some really great experiences with jewelers so I know with certainty there are honest and professional ones out there. ::)

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A couple of FYIs for you:
*. I'm quite fond of Adam of Old World Diamonds, but he is not "into" e-mail; it's much easier & more efficient/productive if you call him (or visit him in person, for those in the NYC metro area), at least for the initial contact. Also, don't expect to see GIA reports for stones in his inventory in your price range. Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but might be for you.

* Brick-and-mortar jewelry shops typically have expenses that many online diamond vendors do not. E.g.,did you know that, with rare exception, they have to purchase outright all the ring settings and watches you see in the showcases; those aren't samples on loan to them.

* I previously suggested contacting Diamond Pro Advisor because of my high regard for Neil Beaty & John Pollard -- and their retail partners (Whiteflash, Good Old Gold,and B2C); I like DPA's business model; DPA's services would cost you nothing.

* I'm concerned there may have been some miscommunication re Tacori's offer to set the stone and resize it at no charge. So please don't bank on that unless-until the Platinum level, local Tacori jeweler confirms for you that the offer stands
even tho' you bought the semi-mount off eBay, not from a Tacori retailer , and
even if you purchase the center stone diamond from a non-Tacori retailer.

* You're right, old mine diamonds are not circular rounds :))

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
Hi, I feel your confusion. The more you look the more options open up and none are necessarily wrong. Also choosing the parameter tradeoff is hard.

If you can, take a 24 hour complete pause and come back with fresh eyes. Don't even think about rings or diamonds for 24 hours.

Of Ilya's OECs I like

http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-67ct-GIA-CERTIFIED-VS2-ROUND-DIAMOND-LOOSE-OLD-EUROPEAN-CUT-ENGAGEMENT-3-4ct-/401054147097?hash=item5d60b0a219

I don't like his MRB (modern round brilliant).

if you are going the MRB route, with your budget, I would get a BN sig ideal. The ones I have seen have been outstanding. They ship within 1 day.

There are a whole bunch but to give you some picks at various price points

go to the Blue Nile website and enter the serial number (LD0xxxx) into the search box as links don't work.
Click on the GCAL report for pics of actual diamond.

$848
0.42ct
I SI1
LD05901256

$1321
0.45ct
E SI1
LD05273422

$1689
0.57ct
E SI1
LD05901246

this last may be worth busting the budget for. It's rather big, and very nice.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hayzing|1452823817|3976177 said:
No... it's a good drive. For a similiar price what do you guys think of this?? I contacted diamond zone and Ilya recommended this one. http://m.ebay.com/itm/172060041869?_mwBanner=1

This stone is very shallow and will probably not perform as desired (hard to say though). You could contact mydiamondzone and
ask them what they have in your budget that is bright and has a lot of fire. See what they say.

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
I too am a fan of Adam at OWD. I recently bought a stone from him "long distance." I found (unlike MollyMalone) email correspondence with him went just fine, maybe it was a slow time for him LOL. But he always responded to me in a timely manner, and there were MANY emails back and forth.

More importantly, he sent stones to me overnight, there were no glitches with that (if it was a work day for me he would send them to my workplace, if a day I would be at home he sent them to my home) and it was extremely convenient--I ended up doing all my shopping in the comfort of my own home!! This seems key since we always advise seeing old cuts in person anyway.....

Just my two cents about OWD. Extremely pleased with my experience, some of the best customer service I've ever experienced. Also in terms of numbers of old cuts I don't know of any equal to Adam's inventory.

hayzing

Rough_Rock
I believe I tried to email OWD yesterday. I don't really remember. I'll have to wait a couple days and see if I hear anything back. I would have used their contact form on the site.

But in regards to Tacori mounting my stone and sizing for free. I DID tell them that there was a possibility that I wouldn't be getting the stone from them directly, because I might actually want an OEC and they don't have any. Plus, because they didn't have much in my price range, I wanted to make that clear as well.

And that's what I opened with, and initially she said it was going to cost over 100 (closer to the 200 mark) dollars to set the diamond and size it. And then they emailed me back and said that Tacori would do it for free for me.

However, since turning down the diamond, I haven't received a response. I'm hoping it's just because they're busy and they're not answering emails at the moment, but usually she's right on emailing me back within just minutes. I may have to call again if that is the case. I DO want to deal with them in the future. I want to buy our bands there, if they're accommodating enough. But who knows... maybe I'm just SOL for places close by and should just send my ring off to whoever I buy the diamond from.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results