shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this worth getting appraised?

Madison345

Rough_Rock
Hi! I acquired this beautiful vintage ring. I don't know much about it, other than it is real gold. The stone in the center looks to me like a sapphire. It is beautiful, but I am unsure if it is worth enough to warrant an appraisal. From your experience, would you get this appraised for value? I'm not sure if I want to keep or sell, hence the thought about the appraisal so I would be more educated on the value. Thanks in advance for your help! Attached is a picture. IMG_0070.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on how much the appraisal costs. For me, appraisals are rarely worth it because they values they give are insanely inflated and useless for selling. I would instead look around for similar pieces to get a sense of cost. I would try to measure the sapphire. My guess is that it's worth around ~800 or so.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take it to a pawn shop and multiply their offer by 10 and you will have a good estimate of the value—not necessarily what anyone will pay, however.

The risk for me is for the gold to be marked with chemicals if the pawn shop decide to test the gold content independently of the existing hallmark.

DK :))

MrsC Jewelry

Rough_Rock
The risk for me is for the gold to be marked with chemicals if the pawn shop decide to test the gold content independently of the existing hallmark.

Good point!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Maybe ask them for their best offer IF after testing and don’t test?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe ask them for their best offer IF after testing and don’t test?

Worth a try. However, for pledges, the friendly pawn shops I know would always test!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! I acquired this beautiful vintage ring. I don't know much about it, other than it is real gold. The stone in the center looks to me like a sapphire. It is beautiful, but I am unsure if it is worth enough to warrant an appraisal. From your experience, would you get this appraised for value? I'm not sure if I want to keep or sell, hence the thought about the appraisal so I would be more educated on the value. Thanks in advance for your help! Attached is a picture. IMG_0070.jpg
If you have never sold jewelry on ebay or other forums, I would not recommend you start now unless you already have accounts in any of those. People are hesitant to buy from new accounts, then there are fees and shipping to be paid. I would keep and enjoy! I personally love it! But most preloved buyers are cheap, including me, so just be forewarned.
Is it stamped or branded?

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have a trusted jeweler? Mine gives me free verbal identification- he'll tell me if the stone is real, if the sapphire or ruby is heated, diamond quality and size etc. For a wriiten appraisal he charges $50. I go to an established big jewelry store for emeralds, because he doesn't have the technology to determine emerald treatment. The big store charges $100.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results