shape
carat
color
clarity

is this uncertified or not?

babooshka

Rough_Rock
Hi

I have been looking at a ring and when I asked if the centre stone was certified, the reply was:
"We do not have a certificate for the oval cut diamond, colour I, clarity SI1 but this information would feature on the document for insurance purposes that we would issue with the purchase''

The ring is a 2.26ct oval, I, SI1 - should i be buying an independantly certified diamond?

Thanks

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That would be uncertified. Sounds like they will write you up something saying what their gemologist thinks
it is but thats not a grading report. You need a grading report from AGS/GIA/EGL ...there are a few others that I dont
remember.

babooshka

Rough_Rock
Thanks, That's what I thought, It's not a good idea to buy it without an independant report is it?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you take it to an independant apprasier (someone who doesnt sell diamonds) and get their opinion on it?
I only say that because its an oval which are hard to find. I assume you like the way it looks and the faceting
pattern is appearling to you?

Would the seller be willing to send it to GIA or AGS and get it certified?

May I ask how much they are asking for it? If the stone is really not an I/SI1 you may be paying more for it than you should.
Have you looked on James Allen for similar stones to see what they are asking? Since it is uncert is should be a fair
amount less than a certified stone.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
babooshka|1307044809|2936388 said:
Hi

I have been looking at a ring and when I asked if the centre stone was certified, the reply was:
"We do not have a certificate for the oval cut diamond, colour I, clarity SI1 but this information would feature on the document for insurance purposes that we would issue with the purchase''

The ring is a 2.26ct oval, I, SI1 - should i be buying an independantly certified diamond?

Thanks
ask them to send the stone to GIA for grading.. ;)) it WILL NOT grade I SI1.

how much are they asking for the stone?

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
For a stone that large there is a reason they are selling it uncertified. I would not buy something in that size without documentation from an independent source that it is what they say it is. And like the pp stated, it is unlikely to be what they are saying it is.

babooshka

Rough_Rock
Hi

I am in the UK- Lincoln, which is far from London, where the ring is and don't know when o cam get there to see it in person, this has been done via email- I am going in the next couple of weeks to see it- they are asking £11,000 for it- I
Might email and ask them why it doesn't have an independent cert...

I will post a pic

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
nfowife|1307060576|2936553 said:
For a stone that large there is a reason they are selling it uncertified. I would not buy something in that size without documentation from an independent source that it is what they say it is. And like the pp stated, it is unlikely to be what they are saying it is.

Ditto. A lab report on a stone that size would increase its value by $5000 or more (just a guess, but it would be a substantial amount). IF the stone is graded what they say it is. So ask yourself, why would the dealer not want to spent ~$250 for the report to increase his profit by ~$5000? The answer: It would NOT be graded the way he is saying it would be graded.

babooshka

Rough_Rock
Hi

Thanks for your replies, It gets odder - They have now said that the stone was certified before it was mounted, and it cost £75 per carat for the actual certificate, so they are saying it was certified without a certificate which they didn't get for cost reasons. They then said they could but it would go on the 'Quote of the ring' as they would have to remove the stone from the setting. It still isnt clear whether they are offering to have it certified independantly or not - I have emailed and will update again.

I'm really not interested in the ring anymore due to their 'evassiveness' so i'ts purely for my interest!
upload-1.jpg upload-1.jpg

babooshka

Rough_Rock
I agree, it should cost more, which is why I was interested - there must be a reason they dont want to spend the money on the report...especially as there are lots of rings they sell that do have the certification, and they are a very reputable London jeweller!

I think you are right and the stone is probably not what they are saying!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fancy talk from them doesn't breed confidence, that's for sure!

Look for a jewler selling stones with a GIA report, or perhaps HRD which I think is more common in the UK. And remember, it is a lab report or certificate, no diamond comes with "certification" from any lab! :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results