shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this true....????

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Le Creuset stop top kettle that I use because it's the only thing that whistles at me these days.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have one I’ve used since the panini started but I’d never really had one in the house before. Before that you just microwave your hot water

I’m still not convinced this kettle is all together a better alternative

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I have a Le Creuset stop top kettle that I use because it's the only thing that whistles at me these days.

That’s the kind I use as well :lol:

I boil water for tea and for use in my French press to make coffee.

We actually drink a lot of different loose leaf teas.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Maybe the difference isn’t so much whether or not you have a kettle but whether it’s electric or not? There’s lots of mention from US PSers of stove top kettles but I don’t know anyone in the U.K. who has a stove kettle. Here electric kettles are ubiquitous - I’d almost hazard a guess that every house nationwide has one.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is how I roll:

1618245792001.png

My parents have that, plus a kettle for the stove, and an electric kettle with glass carafe.

I bought one for my parents years ago...most used gift ever.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
I have one I’ve used since the panini started but I’d never really had one in the house before. Before that you just microwave your hot water

I’m still not convinced this kettle is all together a better alternative

Ok I’m totally hoping that your phone autocorrected pandemic to panini cuz it’s freaking hilarious!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok I’m totally hoping that your phone autocorrected pandemic to panini cuz it’s freaking hilarious!

Not an auto correction but yes.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe the difference isn’t so much whether or not you have a kettle but whether it’s electric or not? There’s lots of mention from US PSers of stove top kettles but I don’t know anyone in the U.K. who has a stove kettle. Here electric kettles are ubiquitous - I’d almost hazard a guess that every house nationwide has one.

No the question is definitely if you have any. But yes, most people don’t have one and if they do it’s a stovetop

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a keurig for hot water but now we have an electric teapot. Best thing ever for boiling water for cooking.

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
US- specially in California, I have an electronic kettle with four temp settings that I use daily!
I used to use a stove top kettle until I woke up one morning with it about melted to my stove top after my brother fell asleep while making a midnight cup of tea. :-o
I would never go back to the stove top, I love how I can get the perfect temp for every variety of tea, and it seems much safer than the stove top models.

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a kettle! I used to used the stovetop ones, but now have an electric one that allows me to choose different temps for different teas. First gen American, mom spent her formative years in England after WWII,

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As an (uncultured) American, I like my water temperature HOT (gasp! microwaved!) to brew my oh-so-fancy tea (in a bag... damp string and soggy paper tag stuck to the side of the cup...), so I'm intrigued by this different water temperatures for different teas. What is this magic?!

tinydiamond

Rough_Rock
We might be the only household in the UK without a kettle. We prefer to boil water in a small pan on the gas stovetop.

Last edited:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As an (uncultured) American, I like my water temperature HOT (gasp! microwaved!) to brew my oh-so-fancy tea (in a bag... damp string and soggy paper tag stuck to the side of the cup...), so I'm intrigued by this different water temperatures for different teas. What is this magic?!

It's recommended to brew black teas as hot as possible (hotter than 100 ° C isn't physically possible, so there's that ), but green teas around 80° C.

So I don't think the water temperature is the problem about the microwave (not sure, though, since I'm not British).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with @kipari on different teas requiring different temps. Never ever allow a full boll for green tea. You can allow water for black tea to be boiling furiously. This is why I use a pot for boiling water. I need to be able to gauge visually by looking at the bubbles.

I also have trouble trying to stomach bagged teas. Whole tea leaves seems to have a richer flavour and aroma.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm genuinely aghast that people would microwave water to make it hot rather than use a kettle or boil on the stove....:knockout: I realise this is a cultural difference but surely it taste different....wrong somehow...:eh: A kettle would be considered a basic item in almost every Aussie household, I'm yet to meet anyone without one!

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I love my little kettle. Use it for tea and when I make my instant oatmeal :)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've just read that most Americans don't use/own kettles. Is this true?
If it is true, how do you make a cup of tea?

This makes me laugh
i don't think they dry clothes outside on the line either !
It uses so much less energy to boil the jug that boil a pot on the stove and the microwave can over oil a cup of water leading to some super high temperatures

Otherwise id happily live there :lol:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I live in the US but I use a kettle for most of my hot water needs. Using a microwave to boil water is an abomination! How do you guys live with yourselves? :lol:

I feel like microwaved water has a weird taste to it. But then again, I’m very sensitive to the taste of water. I know some people aren’t. Plus, the mug gets too hot! At least we’re not talking about drinking refreshments in designated cups. I have a pet peeve where when eating or drinking, every food or beverage has its assigned place. My cousin on the other hand, loves to drink cold water out of mugs and it drives me insane. She will be holding a mug and I’ll assume she’s drinking tea or coffee. NOPE. Ice water. Just kill me. Lol.

That's so funny about your pet peeve
I don't drink hot drinks often - coffee only if im really tired and need to be alert, hot lime cordial in the winter if im sick or when it was really cold at work where i used to work
So i drink everything out of this ! BSP42715_300x300.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have an electric kettle that I use all winter to make tea. This is why my teeth are yellow o_O
When the weather gets warmer, and I don't drink so much tea, I put it away.
The Keurig machine is great for a quick cup of tea. I just run plain water through it, and a tea bag in the cup.

Sorry if ive missed this
what's a keuig ?
Gary drinks tea 50 times a day and im up and down like a yoyo making cuppas
I would love a boiling water tap. my freind had one years ago as a treat from her husband in her kitchen remodel (she also drank lots and lots of tea ) for compensations due to their septic tank requirements meaning she couldn't have a waste master

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
That's so funny about your pet peeve
I don't drink hot drinks often - coffee only if im really tired and need to be alert, hot lime cordial in the winter if im sick or when it was really cold at work where i used to work
So i drink everything out of this ! BSP42715_300x300.jpg

Noooooooo you’re killing me! At least it’s a Bruce Springsteen mug!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds I'd be in trouble then, I don't even own a dryer, everything goes on the line! :lol-2: I find it really interesting how we have so many cultural similarities, then a few quirky differences.

I read this just the other day
Sad just too sad
missing out on all those lovelly sunshine smells
I actually had to use the dryer last week and felt so quilty
Im not sure if id call this Aussie's greatest invention but as we have the pav and the flat white ... ;)2 Rotary_7.jpg

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
Sad just too sad
Im not sure if id call this Aussie's greatest invention but as we have the pav and the flat white ... ;)2 Rotary_7.jpg

Yes @Daisys and Diamonds I do believe the old Hills Hoist probably is our greatest invention to date - one of our finest moments!! Nothing like trying to hang something out whilst getting whacked in the face by clothes flying around the line on a windy day! Love it! Also I'm letting the pav thing slide my NZ sista! :P2:lol-2:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've just read that most Americans don't use/own kettles. Is this true?
If it is true, how do you make a cup of tea?

It's a vicious lie.

Well, I guess most Americans don't have a lot of things.

We have stove-top (somewhere) and electric kettles. And the microwave for single-servings.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sad just too sad

Yessssssss the smell of line dried clothes & sheets is the best! I don't even own a dryer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results