carat
color
clarity

Is this true....????

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a tea kettle and use it often.
I use it not just for tea but also to make my stinging nettle tea leaf infusions.
I love my tea kettle.

As an aside, do you have a good source for stinging nettle?

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No kettle here, if we need hot water, we can make it in the microwave or Keurig. That said, we never drink tea. Only coffee (and lots of it!).

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an electric kettle that I use all winter to make tea. This is why my teeth are yellow o_O
When the weather gets warmer, and I don't drink so much tea, I put it away.
The Keurig machine is great for a quick cup of tea. I just run plain water through it, and a tea bag in the cup.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live in the US but I use a kettle for most of my hot water needs. Using a microwave to boil water is an abomination! How do you guys live with yourselves?

lol, true! i use it for tea in a bag which is typically not the best quality tea. it is convenient but not the way to make a good cup of nice loose leaf. =)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
My wifey is Canadian so we have an electric kettle.
Growing up we had a huge one for camping where the only way to heat water was over the fire or the camp stove if it was raining.
The covered kettle kept the bugs and ash out and was safer.
It looked like this but was at least one size bigger.
tinkettle.jpg

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
The shocking truth here may be that most Americans don’t make tea.

We have an electric kettle that I use every morning to heat up water for pour-over coffee.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use a electric kettle to broil water for my tea.

Sibsgirl

Shiny_Rock
I absolutely own a kettle! We don't even own a microwave. We're extremely old-school folks at my house.

susiegrneyes

Shiny_Rock
I'm another American who does not own a tea kettle. My parents do have one though.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As an aside, do you have a good source for stinging nettle?

I get it from iherb. Two brands.
Starwest and Frontier.
It's very fresh.

stingingnettleleaf.jpeg

stingingnettles.jpeg

I make an infusion and drink 2 cups daily. I steep the leaves in boiling water at least 12 hours and generally more like 24 hours.

Lovecarats

Rough_Rock
I own both a stovetop kettle and electric kettle. Ironically, I rarely use either to make tea! :lol:
I'm a coffee drinker 90% of the time. When I DO make tea, I tend to just make hot water with my coffeemaker and pour it over my tea bag.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have two kettles. One for use on my induction cooktop and one for on top of the wood stove in case of power outage.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a kettle. Dragged that thing all over the place. Its a Kitchenaide, plenty beat up but its MY kettle. Though I mainly drink coffee I still like to have my tea and in fact will have cup of tea few nights a week. And, that thing is great for making hurricane coffee (I use it on the grill to heat water for pour over coffee when there's no electricity!)

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do have a kettle, but rarely use it these day to make tea as I have an instant hot water tap. I only make tea in a teapot, it needs to brew which it can’t do properly in a cup :mrgreen:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a kettle and use it every day. My husband and daughter use it to boil water for their French presses and I use it to make tea.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
We have a kettle and use it all the time. We love drinking tea! In fact I’m about to put the kettle on right now.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@seaurchin I think Aussies, like the Poms, are a nation of tea drinkers and that's probably where the difference is. If you don't drink tea then I guess you don't need a kettle. Which is fair enough.

I literally don't actually know a single British person who doesn't have a kettle. I would die if I had to wait for water to boil in a pan on the hob. Die.

I have several cups of lovely tea throughout my day, also mint tea, plus I make my coffee with the kettle as we don't have a coffee machine (Mr T has an Aero coffee press thingy that he sits on the top of his coffee mug & uses freshly ground beans in) but i make my coffee by heating a couple of inches of milk in the microwave, stirring in my Dowe Egberts (won't drink anything else) then top with freshly boiled water.

I reckon my kettle is used 10 times each day. At least. Mr T has just gone through now to put it on.

And whoever you visit overhere, as soon as you walk in they'll say "I'll pop the kettle on..." :)

And we all make it in a teapot.

Last edited:

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not have kettle...just made a cup of tea...I nuke the water in the microwave, then add tea bag and let it sit for while and take bag out and reheat tea some....

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a kettle. Received a new one for Christmas this past year.
Technically, I could heat up water in the microwave, but I like the kettle, so it stays.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a kettle, always had one. The mere thought of microwaving tea.....is unsettling. My DNA is primarily English and Irish, maybe that's why I'm this way.8-)

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
We have an electric kettle, and it is really quick to boil a cup of water, about 1 minute! We drink a lot of tea in our house, but it is also great for cup o noodles or other instant meals!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is how I roll:

1618245792001.png

My parents have that, plus a kettle for the stove, and an electric kettle with glass carafe.

My folks had one of them when they were in Hong Kong, and continued to have one in their home after they emigrated to Canada in the mid 80s.

DK :))

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
Well this has truly been eye opening. It seems that if you're a big tea drinker, then yes you have a kettle, if not then why would you, which is totally fair enough! Now no judgement here at all, but for those of you that microwave your water to make tea, maybe don't mention that to any serious, hard core tea drinkers.....just sayin'. ;)2

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My folks had one of them when they were in Hong Kong, and continued to have one in their home after they emigrated to Canada in the mid 80s.

Remember when they used to have a pump? It was truly mind-blowing when they started replacing the pump action with the dispense button.

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
Most Americans don’t drink that much hot tea. And for those who do, it’s more of the French style of quite hot, but not boiling water.

For iced tea, there’s a black art known in the South as ‘sun tea’ wherein a jug of cold water with teabags in it is set in the hot sun to steep. That’s how I make my sweet tea.

I say this as the daughter of an American mother who has microwaved incalculable numbers of cups of water for tea who went to university in the UK - either way, you’ve got a mug of tea at the end. But that said, I don’t own a microwave & I own an electric kettle as a tea drinker myself.

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
Grits with butter, or cheese grits...yum! They are made from cornmeal. Similar to polenta and other ground corn-based dishes.
Capture.PNG

Grits are made from the same corn product as polenta, my European friends - BUT SO MUCH BETTER!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Remember when they used to have a pump? It was truly mind-blowing when they started replacing the pump action with the dispense button.

Indeed!

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
I have to say that whilst I'd heard of grits I'd never seen a pic. For some reason I thought they'd be crunchy, the name 'grits' conjures up something hard and crunchy to me. They really do look delicious, I'd love to try and make it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results