shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this too much of a color difference?

Should I put the O-P center in the 3-stone next to two K diamonds o keep her in the antique setting?

• Total voters

Tigerlilyrosepetal

Shiny_Rock
Hi Friends!

I’m stuck again and seeking some opinions from you all. Recently I bought two matching OEC/transitional cut diamonds .82 and .83 cts., and was going to use them as earrings; however, I don’t really wear earrings, in my opinion the carat size is too large for my ears, and I just wouldn’t appreciate their sparkle. So I was considering doing a 3 stone. My 20th anniversary is two years away. I can wait to possibly put in a matching K colored diamond (can’t do it now). Or I can take my Betty (a 2.24 O-P VVS2 transitional cut) stone out of her antique setting and just make a 3 stone now.

I took the stones to my jeweler to have them measured for a 3 stone band. It would be in platinum, simple setting, as I don’t want gold. I am still deciding whether to do it or not. He told me it wouldn’t look horrible, with the color difference, but I need some more opinions before I take the leap. Is a center O-P too different from two K’s? Would you make it into a 3 stone or keep it the way it is?

I am very happy with her as she is now, but it also kills me that the other sparkly diamonds are sitting in my jewelry box!

I have attached pictures of the possible look and the setting now. 62FCA8B8-0D4D-4B06-BED6-06731EB26E9E.jpeg AAB4C625-EA7E-4A4D-8BA9-D22C0E3709EC.jpeg 537E3B4A-68E8-426D-9318-0E5A2E015209.jpeg 153D6C80-26F2-42EE-B11A-103E3CD673E5.jpeg 530EAA06-32E9-4E4B-917C-00A4ED705673.jpeg 7B4F9E5E-3E0C-4BCD-8895-8B75226B0264.jpeg

Tigerlilyrosepetal

Shiny_Rock
Ok—that setting is to die for! Please do not swap it out! Have you considered making a pendant or a moi et toi ring with your spare stones?

Hi, Nala,
Oh my goodness! I am such a fan of your rings! Yes, I did consider the Toi et Moi setting and actually bought one. The prongs were too short to fit the diamonds, one jeweler told me. I still have it. I am not crazy about the look. It is a gorgeous setting, but very narrow on my chubby hands. I actually don't know if I even want to find another jeweler to try and put them in there. But, I do still have it.
Thanks!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Nala,
Oh my goodness! I am such a fan of your rings! Yes, I did consider the Toi et Moi setting and actually bought one. The prongs were too short to fit the diamonds, one jeweler told me. I still have it. I am not crazy about the look. It is a gorgeous setting, but very narrow on my chubby hands. I actually don't know if I even want to find another jeweler to try and put them in there. But, I do still have it.
Thanks!

Awww you are too sweet!
How about a 3-stone with a gemstone for center? That way you have a right hand ring?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
All the stones are gorgeous! Personally, I think that the colors are too far apart for a three stone. But it is really a personal preference.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keep Betty in her dress and figure out something else to do with the “side stones”. Like sell them or make earrings or a necklace or a moi/toi (but not the one you have that you feel is too dainty) or a colored stone center three-stone. But whoah leave Betty as is (please?!?)

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
Please no! I think it would be a crying shame to dismantle Betty, she really is an old school beauty. I would try and be patient (not my strong point I might add :roll2: ) and wait for the right stone to cross your path for your three stone. Alternatively, it's a great excuse to spend time researching antique jewellery for some ideas and inspiration! ;)2

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Another vote to keep the setting as is. I think a gemstone like an emerald or sapphire is a good idea for a three stone. But I guess my advice would be to think about what you really want. Are you passionate about the idea of a three stone; like are you dying to have one? Or just trying to think of some way to use these stones? I also don't think .8 is too big for earrings at all.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Awww you are too sweet!
How about a 3-stone with a gemstone for center? That way you have a right hand ring?

Agree — keep Betty as-is and try a gemstone center. Then it’s like practice so you can see what size you like for your future K.

Or even gem-diamond-gem-diamond for a super bling five ston?

I am not a fan of the K - O combo in this particular case but tastes vary.

Tigerlilyrosepetal

Shiny_Rock
WoW! I am really blown away by everyone's unanimous votes so far. Thank you so much!!! I feel very lucky for your opinions before I made a mistake. I think I am going to either put an emerald in between the two K's or just have patience (not my strong suit) and wait for the 20th!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
That ring is gorgouse just as it is
but to answer your question on my phone i find the colour difference quite complimentary and pleasing to the eye

i would stick with the earings
they are not too big
I have unfortunatly found ears to be particularly vaunarable to diamond shrinkage syndrome and i have small ears

Tigerlilyrosepetal

Shiny_Rock
That ring is gorgouse just as it is
but to answer your question on my phone i find the colour difference quite complimentary and pleasing to the eye

i would stick with the earings
they are not too big
I have unfortunatly found ears to be particularly vaunarable to diamond shrinkage syndrome and i have small ears

Thanks! The issue for me with the earrings is that I have had multiple
Piercings around the same area and when I put anything too heavy in it, one of them sags and looks like it’s ready to fall out of my ear. Plus, I’m allergic to 14 kt and it irritates the ears badly. I did buy a pair of .5 ct earrings that I had set in platinum by Ivy and Rose and they are perfect! The metal is lightweight too, I’d say, and that helps. If I didn’t have this problem with one of the lobes, I’d have DSS for sure!!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks! The issue for me with the earrings is that I have had multiple
Piercings around the same area and when I put anything too heavy in it, one of them sags and looks like it’s ready to fall out of my ear. Plus, I’m allergic to 14 kt and it irritates the ears badly. I did buy a pair of .5 ct earrings that I had set in platinum by Ivy and Rose and they are perfect! The metal is lightweight too, I’d say, and that helps. If I didn’t have this problem with one of the lobes, I’d have DSS for sure!!

The new ring will be beautiful =)2

Im just particularly tuned in to earings right now because im having trouble with my piercings and how to style them after only wearing 3 pairs of light silver keepers/sleepers for many (happy and trouble free) years

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you don't want to take Betty apart (I wouldn't) how about using the two stones in a ring like this
Screenshot 2021-07-07 205145.jpg
It would have the same antique feel like Betty and you'd have a RHR since you don't want earrings. You'd have to have it made, but you'd have a more substantial sized ring than a typical toi et moi.

Tigerlilyrosepetal

Shiny_Rock
If you don't want to take Betty apart (I wouldn't) how about using the two stones in a ring like this
It would have the same antique feel like Betty and you'd have a RHR since you don't want earrings. You'd have to have it made, but you'd have a more substantial sized ring than a typical toi et moi.

That’s nice! That’s an idea I didn’t think of. Thank you. I do like its width and really like that.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock

Super idea! Then you'd have two outstanding vintage rings,

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
Ok—that setting is to die for! Please do not swap it out! Have you considered making a pendant or a moi et toi ring with your spare stones?

My thoughts exactly, your setting is stunning

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Another vote to NOT dismantle your beautiful antique setting.

If you don't have the budget currently to buy a diamond for a middle stone, and you like a three stone ring, what about purchasing a less-expensive gemstone for the middle? I have no idea what colors you like, but sometimes a lovely sapphire in a less-popular color (like a purple blue, or a yellow, etc) can be very reasonably priced.

Tigerlilyrosepetal

Shiny_Rock
31A97FF1-B024-4E3F-A096-2C5B719253AC.jpeg F90ADDE9-71FF-4ECE-813F-B01FE5CC9473.jpeg 423EA011-32B1-4A4E-8284-871C671C5B8F.jpeg

Thanks for everyone’s big help with the voting and ideas. I wanted to update that I put the two K stones in a Toi et Moi setting with synthetic side sapphires. I absolutely love it. It’s comfortable and blingy without being obnoxious on my right hand. Its an original antique setting.

Tigerlilyrosepetal

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful!! So Betty has a new friend?

Yes! Lol! I just took out my rings to play with them and have a photo shoot. The pic I posted in my avatar has all my vintage rings, as I collect them. I am so grateful that I did the Toi et Moi and did not dismantle Betty. Thanks everyone!!!! I just need a name for the new one, so she can join the friend group.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Yes! Lol! I just took out my rings to play with them and have a photo shoot. The pic I posted in my avatar has all my vintage rings, as I collect them. I am so grateful that I did the Toi et Moi and did not dismantle Betty. Thanks everyone!!!! I just need a name for the new one, so she can join the friend group.

MaiTai, a play on Moi et Toi, and she's a big long drink.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Oh, me too! I have the most tasteless yet gorgeous fan cocktail ring.
Told SO I just named a PC' babygrand.jpg er's ring. He said, "Now you're the godmother. Anything happens to the parents and you have to get it thru college."

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Tigerlilyrosepetal, all of your rings are gorgeous! I LOVE your new moi et toi ring, how great you were able to find an antique setting. Looks beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results