shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this too much color? Brainstorming a modest paraiba/spinel partial eternity band

KeepStepping

Shiny_Rock
After some side-eye from my DH, I have to seek the sharp eyes and gifted color lovers of all of you in CS for this one.

I picked up some modest paraiba ovals (5, measuring about 3x2) with an attractive color and wanted to turn them into a band to wear as a stacker or wedding band. Alas, my fingers have grown with age and the 5 available pieces are not enough to give full face coverage in just tourmaline. I am a US 7.5 (sometimes even an 8 ), so I will need at least 18.4mm of stone. Set horizontally, these only get me to 15mm. So, I’ve been browsing stones and considered setting them with alternating colorless diamonds. I’ve been unable to find similarly colored paraibas. Then, I picked up some princess cut spinel, and now have those to consider as well. They are 2.5mm squares.

I’ve come up with these two alternating design of stone placements. The sizes are approximately accurate, as are the colors. I cannot decide between orienting the paraiba horizontally or vertically in this design. But, my partner feels the color may be a bit too bold (color clash).

Any opinions? Is this too “much?” Would you set these with diamonds instead? If so, what shape and orientation?

The two layout options:

66BAB352-3064-4AEA-B54F-01C3832D813C.jpeg

The stones:

E9FD087B-81E3-4AEE-B0A8-D22E948C7777.jpeg E4EC2993-DAB3-4045-8AB0-ED908EB8A1EF.jpeg 34148A7E-8EDA-4B3C-9D01-D09615C5AE79.jpeg

If you would consider this color combination and layout, would you prefer to set yellow gold or platinum? Do you have any other setting ideas for a band? I have no ability to envision side profiles, ring shanks, prong types, etc and am hopeless with design. I’ll be sending these to DK for setting once I have my design solidified.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think I would have looked at kataoka before designing the piece.

Your spinels and paraiba aren't matched in dimensions, cut or shape so I'm not sure I'd have put them together.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I love this colour combination.

However, the Spinels are a tad too big and would overshadow the Pararibas IMHO.

DK :))

KeepStepping

Shiny_Rock
I think I would have looked at kataoka before designing the piece.

Your spinels and paraiba aren't matched in dimensions, cut or shape so I'm not sure I'd have put them together.

We’re you referencing something similar to this? E006EFE9-8CF9-4DD1-8B50-768E444B130D.jpeg

Attachments

• DD5C3190-EE72-40EA-AA0D-C55ACB3440E7.jpeg
    DD5C3190-EE72-40EA-AA0D-C55ACB3440E7.jpeg
    254.2 KB · Views: 209

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I love your stones, but honestly would say I probably would put diamonds with the Paraibas and think of another project with the spinels. I agree with @dk168 the ratio is off. I can't wait to see what you decide, though!

KeepStepping

Shiny_Rock
I love your stones, but honestly would say I probably would put diamonds with the Paraibas. I agree with @dk168 the ratio is off.

However, the Spinels are a tad too big and would overshadow the Pararibas IMHO.

Thank you! Do either of you have a suggestion for a size/shape of diamonds to increase the finger coverage? I can certainly set aside the spinel if that is the consensus!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! Do either of you have a suggestion for a size/shape of diamonds to increase the finger coverage? I can certainly set aside the spinel if that is the consensus!

I like the look of the band you posted with diamonds and other CSs in between with the Paraibas set East-West.

I am unlikely to use round stones more than 2mm in diameter myself, probably in less saturated tones as the Spinels you have so as not to overwhelm the Paraibers, like pink Tourmalines.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
F79224CE-9F01-45EE-830B-896C212F65BE.jpeg
Simple cut and paste from your picture
So they ‘should’ be to scale and accurate shapes.

I don’t think I’d automatically shy away from this project idea.
Because all the ovals and all the princesses aren’t calibrated
I think the layout of which individual stone goes where is important in the finished piece - along with the jeweler having a knack in accenting/embracing the differences in a whimsical way - or the opposite of having the knack to mask the differences in a graduated way.

I like the color combo.
If you’d wear it - go for it. :)

I’d have a hard time in picking yellow gold vs platinum, too.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We’re you referencing something similar to this? E006EFE9-8CF9-4DD1-8B50-768E444B130D.jpeg

Yes I'd have built something similar to this but with a bit more uniform choices of all the small melee being daimonds. I think it's the sizes of the melee vs the paraiba being well matched that appeals to me. Also the small rims on the paraiba setting.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I usually don't care for jewelry that has more than one gem color so I can't be much help there.

But as far as possibly adding diamonds, I bought a bunch of inexpensive CZs in multiple sizes to play with in trying to come up with jewelry designs. I stick them in Play Dough to hold them in place, if that helps. Good luck. :)

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the color combo - in fact once bought a preloved band with the same (except the spinel were 2mm and the paraibas were only 1.2 mm). Picture below is on my pinky.

Do you wear bands on their own? Granted my stones were smaller, but I never wore mine (and sold) because it was too dainty for my taste and size 8 fingers. I might use diamonds as a filler to give the band some width.

Attachments

• IMG_20190623_104446.jpg
    IMG_20190623_104446.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 75

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow this is the first time someone asked if a colored stone creation is too much color! There is no such thing as too much color, at least as far as I’m concerned. I think the combination is gorgeous. My only concern would be the proportions as everybody is pointing out.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
I had a tourmaline ring once. I seldom wore it because of the softness of the stone. As careful as I was, it had to be recut when I sold it.

I would make a bezelled half hoop and keep the tourmalines on the top to protect them.

I love the intensity of the tourmaline and spinel together—that’s what I look for when putting colors together, equal intensity.

Your stones are so beautiful that whatever you decide will be beautiful.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
I like the colour combination. It's bold and fresh. Question is, do you like it and will you wear it?

Can't advise much on proportions and design, however, are you sure you want to do an eternity with the paraiba? I'd be concerned about the spinel a little, too. Consider that the stones will be on the inside of your palm and just by using your hands, grabbing and holding things, you'll be putting them at risk of damage. You'll have to be very careful when wearing it and it definitely won't be a daily driver.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow this is the first time someone asked if a colored stone creation is too much color! There is no such thing as too much color, at least as far as I’m concerned. I think the combination is gorgeous. My only concern would be the proportions as everybody is pointing out.

I can count the number of CS rings with more than one colour (excluding white) in one hand, just 2 to date; hopefully, they will be joined by a third one before the year is out. They will be a fourth eventually.

I found I don't like to wear my small Spinel with Tsavorite ring as I find it too much to wear with my already colourful Jamsworld Hawaiian shirts that are my warmer months staples. I would only wear it if I am wearing a mono tone shirt (I have 3 thinking they would be more sombre for work) and I seldom wear them. Hence I have stopped having rings made with this colour combination.

imag0408.jpg

My other CS ring with 2 colours is a Amethyst with Sky Blue Topaz side stones. The step cut trillion side stones are small and don't show much colour.

The new ring I am hoping to have made soon is a pale EC Aqua with a hint of green with Morganite step cut traps. The colours are more icy and subtle rather than saturated contrasting colours, if you know what I mean.

The fourth one is a blue Zircon with pink Spinel sides, and it will be quite bold.

Personal preferences and all that.

KeepStepping

Shiny_Rock
It rather seems that the consensus is that those particular spinels don’t work for this project. I’ll have to find another design for them. I do want to focus on making some sort of band with the tourmaline. I’ve scoured the internet and only found a few potential options. Please feel free to make suggestions. I’m OK with sourcing diamond melee, or finding existing tourmaline melee, but don’t want to wait months or a year for the perfect saturated tourmaline color matches.

Here are the other things I found. Please feel free to help me brainstorm a new layout with diamonds. Of these, I like the first option best, but it is actually a cuff bracelet and I’m not sure it could be done on such a much smaller scale. Still gorgeous.

B13BCA91-2B55-46AA-9489-0595894B9336.jpeg EECC6B9F-A287-4890-A385-A189D18D3502.jpeg

9748029D-41DD-4E34-9C18-471AB02F65A5.jpeg

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
I think the second design looks great. My concern would be that it doesn't appear that the paraibas are all a uniform size and therefore this kind of geometric pattern would not work out IRL.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It rather seems that the consensus is that those particular spinels don’t work for this project. I’ll have to find another design for them. I do want to focus on making some sort of band with the tourmaline. I’ve scoured the internet and only found a few potential options. Please feel free to make suggestions. I’m OK with sourcing diamond melee, or finding existing tourmaline melee, but don’t want to wait months or a year for the perfect saturated tourmaline color matches.

Here are the other things I found. Please feel free to help me brainstorm a new layout with diamonds. Of these, I like the first option best, but it is actually a cuff bracelet and I’m not sure it could be done on such a much smaller scale. Still gorgeous.

B13BCA91-2B55-46AA-9489-0595894B9336.jpeg EECC6B9F-A287-4890-A385-A189D18D3502.jpeg

9748029D-41DD-4E34-9C18-471AB02F65A5.jpeg

All of these are nice as they provide a little more protection arround the paraiba, which may chip if you're not careful.

If you want the second design you could explore hybridised with this ring. You'd have to lay it out and see though, it may be the 2*3 size centers are too small to get an appropriate pear shape (I think I would have drawn it or cut paper shapes out before going much further with the prorcess)

Kya

Shiny_Rock
Those are great stones begging to be set!
IF I had those stones I would be inclined to set them as a half eternity halo band.
A thin halo around each would make them pop and also would lend space for ample finger coverage without looking like a space holder.

I could not find any pictures of any color stones like that but here is a picture of that style with all diamonds. So this idea of halo setting - but imagine it with the large ovals set with glistening clear blue paraiba. I would maybe change up the setting in other ways too… maybe yellow gold and slightly narrower band.
85BDC0D1-A4A4-47D1-9DB1-D46F473C6EF5.jpeg

Last edited:

KeepStepping

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone, there’s been some good advice. I do like the colors, but as people suggested, the proportions are off and the spinel will dwarf the tourmalines. I think I’m going to split these into two stacker rings. I’m considering something like this for the paraiba, with adjustments:

2699966D-E707-478E-9410-77FFD167ABA7.jpeg

you could try stackers.
I also really love @kgizo’s stackers. If I had a few more carre/square cut paraiba, I would make a replica of her beautiful stacker.

Right now, the few pieces of square melee I have are designated for this ring, compass set. Mixing cuts might not be for everyone, but it has sentimental reasons:

36B0BDD0-89AF-49B7-BA18-95455314CA1D.jpeg

thirdrock

Shiny_Rock
I like your original idea with the vertical orientation. For practical reasons, I would do a half-eternity and save some stones for a pendant or earrings.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a tad obsessed with that color combo. It’s my favorite. :kiss2:
I have these two rings below (as just one more example of these colors together).
11DB3E94-2B8A-4EDF-8EAA-8D706240210F.jpeg

Have you considered getting the pink princess cut spinels in a smaller size? Cecile Raley Designs has them in a 1.5mm size, which may be more proportional to your paraiba ovals (and I thought I saw something stating she has a sale coming soon).
https://www.etsy.com/listing/832622216/15mm-hot-pink-neon-color-burma-spinel?click_key=4de5f43957432e7c9c0db2cc8b5562c2f0a19a35:832622216&click_sum=bf634987&ga_search_query=Spinel&ref=shop_items_search_71&sts=1
70ACF94F-CB71-4249-9E11-8D9F2ABAA0B1.png

Alternatively, I also really like the separate / stacking bands idea @kgizo suggested.

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone, there’s been some good advice. I do like the colors, but as people suggested, the proportions are off and the spinel will dwarf the tourmalines. I think I’m going to split these into two stacker rings. I’m considering something like this for the paraiba, with adjustments:

2699966D-E707-478E-9410-77FFD167ABA7.jpeg

I also really love @kgizo’s stackers. If I had a few more carre/square cut paraiba, I would make a replica of her beautiful stacker.

Right now, the few pieces of square melee I have are designated for this ring, compass set. Mixing cuts might not be for everyone, but it has sentimental reasons:

36B0BDD0-89AF-49B7-BA18-95455314CA1D.jpeg

I like this combination of shapes - makes the usual coloured stone + clear stone combination much more interesting.

Reactions: Kya

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@elle_71125 I knew you would chime in sooner or later! :lol-2:

Apologies to the OP for going off-topic, however, here are my 5 new Jams World Hawaiian shirts that arrived last week, hence the reason why I don't like to wear more than one colour in my rings: :kiss2:

20220727_233414.jpg

Sadly unbeknown to me, one of them is the wrong size and it is currently up for sale on eBay. :confused2:

Jams World shirts are my warm weather staples, with cargo shorts and black Crocs! :lol-2:

KeepStepping

Shiny_Rock
What about setting the ovals on a diagonal and alternating with diamonds to mimic this inspiration piece. Quick and dirty modifications to a similar band (prongs are set at the end to create marquis/leaf effect

diagonal-leaf-style-oval-moissanite-full-eternity-band-ring-29057981087799~3.jpg

diagonal-leaf-style-oval-moissanite-full-eternity-band-ring-29057981120567~3.jpg
EDIT TO ADD: or alternate the angle of the ovals to make it more unique.

B13BCA91-2B55-46AA-9489-0595894B9336~2.jpeg

Thank you, I really like this idea! Particularly the alternating angled version. I wonder if I could add melee to either side of the ovals similar to the inspiration piece, or if they are too small to find calibrated melee in such small sizes. I’m not sure I would be able to find saturated tourmaline in that small size, but wonder if adding very small diamonds would work, or if it would “wash out” the paraibas. I’m trying to add a bit of width to the band, and I think keeping the paraibas placed vertically (or semi-vertical) might show more color. I don’t have CAD experience or an app that can help me play with sizes or practice layouts.

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have any experience actually sourcing stones, but I would *think* that getting so many (very) tiny paribas that also match the colour of your current stones would be tricky. Hopefully someone with actual experience will chime in on that.

That said, I just tried erased only the diamonds on the side and kept the center channel with the melee in. I really don't find this design it as striking or interesting as alternating the angle of the ovals. I think doing it with the alternating angles may be able to mask the size/calibration discrepancies with your paribas. Having that changing angle doesn't give the eye enough parallel lines to detect the differences in widths as easily :)

B13BCA91-2B55-46AA-9489-0595894B9336~3.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results