shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this too expensive for a stone setting/shank modifying?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pixelbender

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I''m in quite a pickle.

I''ve ended up getting a gorgeous 1/2 H&A stone from JA and will be setting it in an antique WG setting (art nouveau) that I gave her on her 21st. It currently has a sapphire that will be replaced.

I live in a small town of 18000 and have consulted the only custom jeweler in town as well as one in a larger college town about an hour away (Columbia, MO, Tuckers Jewelry). The stone needs setting as well as the shank enlarging, and from what the Tuckers guy told me the shank also needs a slight widening near the end of its detailed part (halfway down the side of the ring).

I know the Tuckers guy does great work, all he does is custom jewelry that is beautiful. But, he says it would run $250 to set the stone and thicken the shank width wise and from the inside-outwards. The local guy says $100. Clearly I know how does better work, but was just wondering if this seems like a rip-off to anyone or what your opinions are.

The only reason I came to this question was because the Tuckers guy told me it would be $35 for an (acid I believe) test to determine the karat of the gold in the ring (I DO know its WG), and from info on PS that seemed a little high.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results