shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this THE diamond?

becauseyes

Rough_Rock
Hello PS!
My boyfriend and I have decided to go the custom route for my engagement ring because I am picky and impossible. I've been lurking and learning a lot from PS, so I hope veteran members can offer some much-needed advice!
We're looking for a center stone for a vintage-inspired chunky halo ring (example: http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=6762), and I've fallen in love with OECs.

We've spoken with a local jeweler who believes he can make what we want, including the OEC diamond halo, for ~2k not including the center stone. He has an OEC that he showed me if he was interested. I've seen it in person, it is definitely eye-clean. The gem has not be certed by GIA. The jeweler said that if I was interested in purchasing the diamond, that he would send it off to be certed by GIA and then price based on the results. He said, as far as he can tell, the diamond has the following specs:

Old European Cut
1.85 ct
I Color
7.89mm
VS2

He said, if the specs are verified by GIA, he would charge 10k for that stone. If GIA determines the specs are worse, he would lower the price. Is this a fair deal, or should I keep looking? The jeweler is happy to set a center stone from elsewhere if I can find a better stone or better value. Help PS, you're my only hope! :think:

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
I'd probably dislike the mystery and tell him to get it certed and let me know the confirmed price.

I think $10k sounds reasonable, depending. (If it ended up having a chip or something I didn't know about previously - that could change my answer.)

Warmer OECs with those stats still range similar in price, so with the little information that has been provided I don't think it is an unreasonable price tag.

becauseyes

Rough_Rock
@Tyty
He working on the initial CAD now. I took a look at some of his stock (that he made) and afaik it's decent quality. He does a lot of vintage inspired work and vintage repairs, which is why I was drawn to him. He says he has enough OECs on hand to make half of the halo, but will need to source the other half. I've been stalking jbg and lad for weeks - everything is so gorgeous!

@Sparkle
Thanks for the input! I took a look at the diamond, and as far as I can tell it doesn't have any chips. I would want the GIA cert before I made my final purchase, but if this was just a bad deal (price-wise), I don't want him to send the stone away if I have no intention of buying. I appreciate your advice!

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
Here's an OEC 2.08, J, VS1, 8.06 X 8.03 mm for $11,833. (although this one is certed by EGL which is not as reputable as GIA). I'd say if GIA confirms what the jeweler estimates, yours is in the ballpark, pricewise. I'd spend some time on the Old World Diamonds website (where I got this pic, and there are MANY more) and see if there is anything else comparable. Very reputable seller with an excellent eye for beauty. I really think it's helpful to have three, four, five stones in your budget to compare and see which one speaks to you. Much harder to be sure if this is really the only OEC you have viewed in person.

_38671.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
becauseyes|1481250365|4105779 said:
@Tyty
He working on the initial CAD now. I took a look at some of his stock (that he made) and afaik it's decent quality. He does a lot of vintage inspired work and vintage repairs, which is why I was drawn to him. He says he has enough OECs on hand to make half of the halo, but will need to source the other half. I've been stalking jbg and lad for weeks - everything is so gorgeous!

@Sparkle
Thanks for the input! I took a look at the diamond, and as far as I can tell it doesn't have any chips. I would want the GIA cert before I made my final purchase, but if this was just a bad deal (price-wise), I don't want him to send the stone away if I have no intention of buying. I appreciate your advice!

Post the CADs when you get them...Pricescopers are good at looking at CADs and finding potential problems or ways to make settings
a little nicer. Glad your jeweler has experience in this area. Make sure you see the little OECs he wants to use so you can determine
if they match well enough or not. Hopefully not an issue but best to figure it out before they are set.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results