shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this stone worth it? Could I recut without too much loss?

littlegnome

Rough_Rock
Hi, all! It's my first post! My SO and I are looking for a colored stone for an engagement ring, and it's hard! I'm in the market for an unheated and untreated sapphire. It's a 3.45 carat natural unheated sapphire, but it has some windows...could I recut it for better performance? Or would I loose too much stone?

TIA!
:wavey:
certified-natural-untreated-ceylon-cushion-blue-sapphire-3.jpg certified-natural-untreated-ceylon-cushion-blue-sapphire-3_0.jpg
certified-natural-untreated-ceylon-cushion-blue-sapphire-3_1.jpg

littlegnome

Rough_Rock
Re: Is this stone worth it? Could I recut without too much l

So you all know what I'm planning on setting it in.. it's Princess Di's ring. She's just so beautiful.

princess_di.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The stone looks best as is. The window is very small but there is greater weight loss when trying to recenter the culet and there probably isn't enough pavilion to keep the same face up size. In short, the sacrifice in size and "value" is greater than the benefit gained. I did notice the incredibly wavy girdle though!

littlegnome

Rough_Rock

yeah, I'm probably better off going with one of the better known artists to purchase a stone from. I've got my eye on a couple more but it's hard finding one of that size that isn't treated! Thank you for the insight!

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock

Have you checked Wildfish? I think they had some larger stones unless they have already been sold. :confused:

Good luck with your search! :wavey:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What is your budget?
This unheated stone was posted by Gemrite on the Fine Faceted Gems & Cabs matket Facebook Page (you need to become a member first to be able to view the posts). I am not knowledgeable enough to be able to say anything about the quality of the stone. But to my untrained eye the stone has a nice colour and it's untreated!

A lot of sapphires are heated and it's a common and stable treatment. You will be able to find more stones if you are willing to accept hear treated stones.

_945.jpeg

_946.jpeg

_947.jpeg

_948.jpeg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Probably not the shape you are looking for?

_949.jpeg

_950.jpeg

_951.jpeg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

One more. Also untreated.

_952.jpeg

_953.jpeg

_954.jpeg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

with colored stones (especially in sapphires) you could also lose color too. So I would not buy a blue sapphire just to recut it. Better to look for something in the shade you want, and the most acceptable cut.

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Just on a cutting opinion and every one on here knows I do not cut for others; so there is NO conflict of interest as I am not talking anything down just stating facts.
The gem could easily be re-cut in the pavilion and culet area only to remove the tiny window it has. As you can easily see from the side view it has a good amount of depth in the pavilion...

I would estimate losing maybe .20 of a carat to go in and using a 1200 lap; touching around the culet area at 40 degrees or even 39 degrees to remove the tiny window you see.

As far as being off center with a brilliant cut the amount of what this gem shows as "off center culet" I do not feel you would see in the finished product.

But me being a repair cutter for the trade for over 10 years I had to deal with things like this on a daily basis as the clients wanted minimal weight loss and good optics but were not interested in textbook faceting perfection..

But as was stated; unless it is the deal of the century do not buy gems that need re-cutting unless you are just having fun or trying to do it yourself for lack of fine facet rough out there in the world.

The question was asked and this is just one cutters opinion as there are many out there that I am sure will agree or disagree but that is the fun of it as not one is right all the time :)

I think that gem would cut a very bright gem and as was said the window it does have is minimal and maybe will even close up when set.

Most Respectfully;

Dana Reynolds
ASG Certified
Supreme Master Gem Cutter
#96CGE42

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock

It's interesting, because from my perspective I'd think that buying it and a tweak *could* be worth it, but after looking at the actual listing I feel like you could get a similar stone for a lot less from some other vendors without going through the hassle.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results