shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this stone cut well? yellow cushion cut sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sweetleila

Rough_Rock
I''ve read posts on precision cut vs. native cut, and I''ve read that the NSC stones are cut to maximize weight, not necessarily cut to according to "precision standards." I''m looking for an approx. 6.5 ct unheated medium yellow cushion cut sapphire. I''ve been looking at the natural sapphire company because my soon to be fiance went to NY and met with Steven Bliss and said the stones he saw there are no comparison to the stones we''ve been looking at in Houston. That being said, I don''t know anything about cut, except that I can spot a window. I want something that maximizes the stone''s color and ability to reflect light.

Two questions:

1. Are the prices fair at the NSC? They are about double what we''ve seen here in Houston, but again, my BF reports they are no comparison to what we have seen here.

2. If you could, would someone who is a gemstone cutter please look at this stone and let me know whether it is cut well? If it is not, are there any stones near my specs which are cut well?

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Yellow/Cushion/stoneid=Y2495

Cut is very important to me and I would be willing to have something recut. Any advice would be much appreciated. Also, does anyone know of any other vendors that would have the stone I''m looking for?

Thank you so much for any and all help!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
First of all, NSC is more expensive because all of their stones are untreated, and you pay through the nose for it. I personally would contact Jeff of whitesgems.com, Dan of customgemstones.com, Barry of acstones.com, Gene of precisiongems.com and John of gemrite.com to see if they can help you out.

That sapphire doesn't look too badly cut, although it looks a little bit "fat" in the pavilion. I don't know if you are the ones who have it, but it's out on memo.

My thoughts on ability to best reflect light are to get something precision cut. I have "native" cut stones and precision cut stones, and the natives are sparkly, but nothing I've seen yet compares to the sparkle I have in my Dan pink spinel. Except a diamond.
1.gif

So I'd look into those cutters that I mentioned above, and talk to them and see if they can do anything for you before you make any decisions. I've talked to all of the cutters I posted above and they are all super nice and will do their best to find what you're looking for.

Good luck! Can't wait to see what you get!

sweetleila

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much! I do want something unheated, and I am--well, he is--willing to pay for it, I just want to make sure that I am as educated as possible before we buy.

Thanks again, I appreciate your help.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, an NSC stone that is actually well cut with decent colour! I would not call this one belly heavy at all, the culet is reasonably centered and the facet pattern is quite pretty. Definitely something worthy for an e-ring.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well if Chrono likes the cutting/color on it, I would consider that your "seal of approval."
emotion-15.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s pretty darn nice too. Not precision cut, but a nice color and the cut is pretty.

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
UUUmmmmm Gorgeous!!!!!!!
5 cts!!! Amazing!!!!!
I hope you get it!!!!!!! What are you going to do with it?

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Great color in an unheated stone! The facet pattern reminds me of an antique cushion of sorts. A lovely stone! The pavillion is not bulgy and the girdle is a good size. I think this will make a beautiful e-ring!

sweetleila

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your comments. I''m going to set it as a solitaire in 18k yellow gold. For wedding bands, two 18k yellow gold eternity bands with bead set white diamonds. I think...

sweetleila

Rough_Rock
I just ordered this stone. I will receive it Monday. I am so excited, I just had to share.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Great! Can''t wait to see pics--It''s a lovely stone!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I would love to see pics when you get it. It looks like a lovely stone.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Pretty sapphire. Please post more pictures when it arrives!
36.gif

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Oh cool! I can''t wait! It is going to be really stunning!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Wonderful! Can''t wait to see the finished product. Congratulations.

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My calendar says it is Monday...

No picture yet.
1.gif

sweetleila

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much for being excited with me. You all are more excited than my family and best friend!

In the excitement of ordering the stone, I failed to realize I would be at work, not at home when UPS would deliver it. After one failed attempt, they are going to reroute the stone to my office, tomorrow. Kind of sad its not today, but I will take pictures of it as soon as I get it home after work tomorrow.

I won''t forget about you, don''t worry. I''m excited to share it with you!

Jeez, I used excited four times in this post.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL! how exciting! I bet you are so excited to get this. The setting you described sounds so exciting! I am excited to see pics! I bet your co-workers will be excited to see the stone when you get it!! (how is that for using the work exciting??)
3.gif

Seriously, it looks gorgeous!...and 5cts!! EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2008 1:28:13 PM
Author: sweetleila
Thank you all so much for being excited with me. You all are more excited than my family and best friend!

In the excitement of ordering the stone, I failed to realize I would be at work, not at home when UPS would deliver it. After one failed attempt, they are going to reroute the stone to my office, tomorrow. Kind of sad its not today, but I will take pictures of it as soon as I get it home after work tomorrow.

I won''t forget about you, don''t worry. I''m excited to share it with you!

Jeez, I used excited four times in this post.

You can usually arrange to go pick it up at the UPS depot at night....
11.gif

sweetleila

Rough_Rock
My camera is charging as I type. The color is AMAZING, however, I do not think this is the one. When looking at it face down, it reflects light well around the edges, but just sucks the light right down through a tulip shaped area near the culet.

You can kind of see what I''m talking about in the first link. Take a look at the second link. Tell me what you think.

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Yellow/Cushion/stoneid=Y2495

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Yellow/Cushion/stoneid=Y2077

newsboysgrl777

Shiny_Rock
I can def. see what you're saying about the tulip-shaped area..but would really like to see pics of the actual stone that you took. Maybe underneath a dining room lamp or something to get the most 'fire' out of the stone that you can (at 11 o'clock at night...LOL). I don't have any advice or anything because I don't know much about gemstones, but I'm sure the other ladies will have advice for you. Personally, I think it looks really cool in the photos on nsc, but again, I don't have any idea what it looks like in person.

ETA: Just wanted to add this that I found on the NSC website:

1. I see what I like, but I'm not sure if I will want to keep it. What is your return policy?
A. At The Natural Sapphire Company we make sure that all our customer are satisfied customers. We offer a 5 day inspection period, and thereafter payment needs to be made.Returns after the 5 day inspection period can be returned for credit towards other purchases, as long as the item is not damaged in anyway.

If an item that you request requires more than a 5 day inspection period, special circumstances and arrangements can be made, but it must be done prior to the shipment of the item you request.

2. What if I want to return an item that I have purchased?

A. If you have purchased an item that you want to return you may do so within 5 days of receipt of the item. You must contact us within this time period to advise us of your return, and the item must be received by us by the 6th day after the purchase. All shipments in or out must be by Next Day Air Service through UPS, FedEx, DHL or other overnight carrier, where the package is signed for upon receipt and delivery.

Items returned MUST be in the same new condition as they were when they were delivered to you. We will NOT accept damaged items.

A refund will be issued within 3 days after we receive your return. If you paid by credit card, the charge will be credited back onto the card. If you paid by check or wire transfer a company check will be issued to the name on the account from which the purchase was made from.

Please note that special orders are not returnable in most cases, however, we do make exceptions.Normally we can not commit to taking a return on a special order. A special order / custom order is when we create something per the direction and design of the client. This in many cases is taking our many loose sapphires and creating a piece of jewelry out of it, such as a ring. Please contact us if you have a specific question on returns that may not be covered here.

sweetleila

Rough_Rock
I have to get to bed, so I only have time for one picture. It really is a lovely stone. . .

Sapphire stone pic 1.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/25/2008 11:42:08 PM
I have to get to bed, so I only have time for one picture. It really is a lovely stone. . .

It''s beautiful! I can''t wait to see the finished ring. What a lovely stone for your engagement ring!

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/25/2008 10:39:33 PM
The color is AMAZING, however, I do not think this is the one. When looking at it face down, it reflects light well around the edges, but just sucks the light right down through a tulip shaped area near the culet.
I was worried that with 67% depth there might be an issue with a bit of a window - for a traditional step cut pavilion that's on the edge of what will and won't work for a sapphire...it isn't clear from the vendor photo if it's an issue, and I still can't tell with it on your finger like that. Do a fair evaluation - clean the stone very well and re-evaluate. Check how brilliance/windowing changes as you move the stone - don't judge from just one position. And I wouldn't write it off if there are small/limited windowed areas like the tips of an 'x' or 'v's if the very center has strong light return (sort of how it appears in the photo). For unheated and great shape like that one it's not unreasonable to compromise a little. For whatever reason though I'd have a higher standard for yellows than blues in this regard, probably since cost is lower for similar quality.

sweetleila

Rough_Rock
So do you think I''m asking too much to want the whole stone to reflect light? It does that well on the sides, but not at all in the center. I know the pic wasn''t great, but I wanted to get something up to look at.

I''ve been searching for a stone for well over a year now, and I''m beginning to get discouraged.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you approached any of the cutters that we mentioned before?

I think it's a lovely sapphire, but if you don't think it's the one, thats all there is to it. Don't give up hope yet! We're always here to help!

ETA: I know how you feel. I'm getting a spinel ering, and I really wanted a precision cut gem. None of the native cuts I saw were doing anything for me, and I finally had to go custom because I would find problems or just things I didn't like in the cuts. I think I probably looked at over 300 gems (spinels, sapphires, etc in a variety of colors, shapes and carat weights) and none of them spoke to me. So I don't think you're asking for too much at all. Finding a colored stone is so much harder than finding a diamond.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
If the entire area under the table is dead, I''d pass. I think you will find what you want. If you like everything else about this, you could let NSC know and see if they can turn up something. The style of cut on this one I like a lot, maybe just needs some more depth in the bottom. (When I was shopping for a blue this size they had a killer 6ct stone that looked very close yours but deep enough to not window, over my budget though.)

I did a rough sketch around the areas that look possibly windowed. If just the part in black I''d still consider it. If the blue and black areas or more, I''d think twice.

leila-sapphire.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2008 2:04:44 PM
So do you think I'm asking too much to want the whole stone to reflect light? It does that well on the sides, but not at all in the center. I know the pic wasn't great, but I wanted to get something up to look at.

I've been searching for a stone for well over a year now, and I'm beginning to get discouraged.

Whoops, I just saw what you wrote. No, you are not asking too much. Everyone has their own standards for light return. For jewelry worthy stones, I require at least 80% return minimum, no windowing and minimal extinction.

Ditto Elmo's posts.

I think it's a really pretty color and cut, but if there is windowing(like in Elmo's above sketch), then I'd reconsider. You don't want to doubt your e-ring stone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I do see some windowing here that wasn't evident in the vendor pictures. I would return it. NSC has a very good return policy and you should be able to get your money back or get another stone, so I wouldn't worry about that. Unfortunately sapphires and rubies are often cut by poorly trained lapidaries and/or for carat weight more than beauty. That's one of my big gripes about sapphires and rubies. They're often quite expensive, but the cuts on them are not up to par. You could also ask some of the lapidaries on PS to perhaps source you some of that color and cut it properly for you. That's another idea. Sorry for your disappointment in the stone, but if it's your ering, it needs to be perfect to you. I'm not sure, but you want a bright canary yellow, and make sure there's no brown undertones. I'm not sure by the picture (or my horrid computer monitor) if there is or not, it's a bit difficult to tell, but brown undertones diminish the value of yellow stones typically.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results