shape
carat
color
clarity

is this stone a good buy?. please help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zzwdds

Rough_Rock
Hi! everybody, I''m new, and just started to study for diamond, and I found a 1.03K round, F, vs2,GIA grade Ideal cut, Girdle thin to medium, no flour.symmetry verygood, polish excellent, HCA score 0.6(60.4%,57%,34,40.6), 6.50-6.58X3.95mm,selling for around $5650.
so anything wrong with this stone?please help

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/17/2009 11:13:17 AM
Author:zzwdds
Hi! everybody, I'm new, and just started to study for diamond, and I found a 1.03K round, F, vs2,GIA grade Ideal cut, Girdle thin to medium, no flour.symmetry verygood, polish excellent, HCA score 0.6(60.4%,57%,34,40.6), 6.50-6.58X3.95mm,selling for around $5650.
so anything wrong with this stone?please help
Welcome!

Firstly GIA 's highest cut grade is Excellent, not Ideal. The term Ideal Cut only has any meaning if used to describe AGS 0 Ideal Cut, otherwise when this term is used by a vendor to describe a certain diamond, this is no guarantee of a well cut rock.

Having said that the diamond has potential but I would like to see an ASET or Idealscope image if this diamond is being sold online. Is it possible you could ask the vendor for an Idealscope or ASET image? I don't think there is anything ' wrong' with the diamond, as GIA round the angles this diamond is leaning towards the shallower range with the pavilion angle particularly so I would like to see an image to get a better idea of how this diamond looks if possible. It could be perfectly fine but the images above would tell us more.

zzwdds

Rough_Rock
thanks, Lorelei, the GIA grade should be EX. i kind worry about symmetry, also 6.50-6.58mm seems a little to much difference, maybe that makes the symmetry grade only very good instead of EX?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/17/2009 12:51:01 PM
Author: zzwdds
thanks, Lorelei, the GIA grade should be EX. i kind worry about symmetry, also 6.50-6.58mm seems a little to much difference, maybe that makes the symmetry grade only very good instead of EX?
Most welcome!

It is said good and above for polish and symmetry looks the same to the naked untrained eye, so I wouldn't worry too much about that unless you want at least excellent. The diameter is fine and well within good tolerances so no worries there. Here is a tutorial on symmetry which might be of help to you,

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/symm.asp

zzwdds

Rough_Rock
Hi! Lorelei
The main reason I like this stone is that it''s 0.6 HCA score for that price.but when you run HCA, it''s said "The result is for a symmetrical diamond with a medium girdle and very good polish", so hopefully the "very good"symmetry will not effect the result a lot. thanks again, Lorelei

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
have you seen it?

zzwdds

Rough_Rock
JulieN
no, i havn''t.

zzwdds

Rough_Rock
JulieN
what''s the worst case since the Ideal-scope picture is not available?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the worst case shouldn''t be that bad, but it is rather unusual for a consumer to consider the worst case.

the cost of a transaction = cost of final product (the ring) + any costs accrued in the process + emotional cost of disappointment + cost of research.

that sad, it will look better than many stones out there.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I take it the diamond is with an online vendor? The thing is with the diamond is it is borderline shallow, depending on as the angles are rounded and are actually in the shallower direction or steeper which is preferabable in this case might have an influence on how the diamond looks. If it is indeed a shallower diamond it is possible that it might show an effect called obstruction, this is because the shadow of your head can make the diamond look darker if you are observing it closely. Other than that it could be a very bright and brilliant diamond. However without ASET or Idealscope images we have no way of finding out more regrettbly.

zzwdds

Rough_Rock
thank you guys, that helped me a lot.I might take a little risk to buy this stone.I''v married my wife for 15 years, we finally can afford a decent diamond, she will be happy anyway.
by the way the online vendor is BN

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/18/2009 10:50:31 AM
Author: zzwdds
thank you guys, that helped me a lot.I might take a little risk to buy this stone.I''v married my wife for 15 years, we finally can afford a decent diamond, she will be happy anyway.
by the way the online vendor is BN
Ok then BN don''t offer images unfortunately but they do have a good return policy so you have plenty of time to examine the diamond and decide. Your wife will be so happy, many congrats on 15 years!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results