shape
carat
color
clarity

is this Si1 RB eye clean? Also awaiting Idealscope image

kt9b

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I am thinking about exchanging a current stone that is in production at James Allen with this other version that has better color (H vs I), and also has more ideal angles. This stone is more of the traditional PS ideal cut (Stone #1), whereas the original stone I picked out was a 60/60 with solid (but not perfect) angles (Stone #2). I am awaiting an idealscope of stone #1 and will post as soon as I get it. First though, I would like to verify with you experts if this will be eye clean.

Stone#1 (alternative): 0.92carat, H, si1. GIA triple Ex. $4300
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.92-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1083090
screen_shot_2016-04-25_at_8.png
Table: 57%
Depth: 61.1%
Crown Angle: 34.0
Pav Angle: 40.6
M-STK girdle (4%)

Scores 0.7 on HCA (ex,ex,ex,vg)

What concerns me the most is that the diamond does look a little hazy compared to others on JA...not sure if its a camera lens focus issue or if it is the numerous pin point inclusions under the table causing the haze. Also, the supposed twinning wisp in the report I think is at 5oclock, but looks more like a cloud to me. Thoughts? If it is eye clean and idealscope checks out I may exchange it out..about $600 more than the other.

Current stone in production:.92c I VS2 $3750. GIA triple Ex.
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.92-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1035309
screen_shot_2016-04-18_at_5.png
Table: 60%
Depth: 60.3%
Crown Angle: 33.5
Pav Angle: 41.0
M-STK girdle (4%)
HCA 1.8 (Ex, vg, vg, Ex)
Unfortunately no ideal scope for stone#2.

Also a factor is the $600 price gap..which I'm assuming is due to the H color and being more ideal proportions. Also, this stone is held in NY as opposed to India...which may affect cost some. Is the price about right for the ideal cut stone, assuming the idealscope checks out? Any help or other suggestions would be appreciated! Will post idealscope as soon as able.

Thanks! I've learned a ton from reading this forum so far and hopefully can contribute one day.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Hello, wish I could give you some solid advice. I get a bit lost with numbers. #1. .7 on HCA is nice, but that tool.does not share everything about a diamond as I'm sure u read. Elimination tool. Passed the HCA.

Hazy you say? Could be the pic...or the diamond. When I was looking for my perfect Stone the second one that was sent to me looked a little hazy. It was only ever ever so slight and I actually didn't notice it in the photographs. I asked several friends and they all thought I was crazy. I even took it to an independent appraiser. End result was I decided it was slightly off with something. It had a t whisp. I think (uneducated opinion) the wisp was doing something to the sparkle/haze (these are exaggerated descriptive terms, but I will use them for lack of any other word which comes to mind). HCA was great also.

You may never know unless you see the diamonds in person. The second photo sure looks nice...very crisp. The first also tho. Going from an I to an H will cost you more (explains the gap a bit). Unfortunatly, im not sure how much of a price jump is reasonable.

JA can't view them side by side I assume bc one is in India? Correct?

Best of luck. Hopefully someone with real knowledge will jump in.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Arows line up nicely in second diamond. Pics are just that, pics. Can catch strange reflections or look hazy when not....just never know but I *think* I remember reading JA is prerry consistent w their pics.

Oh, the Ideal Scope was nice on my "not as crisp" diamond. All looked great on paper/HCA/pics. This "haze" was something my eye was noticing in person. Returned and bought another "lucky #3" diamond. :)

GL!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would go for the switch. The higher color is worth it, IMO.

kt9b

Rough_Rock
Thanks gypsy and cinnamonstick for the advice! I finally got the idealscope image today for the alternative stone:

idealscope_34.jpg

Looks pretty great to my novice eyes! Great edge to edge return. Only downside is the direct center of the stone does look a little pale...but at least no "ring of death" as far as I can tell. I am willing to accept the slightly less light return in the very center given the price ($4300, 0.92ct H Si1) and being a non-branded diamond. In-house gemologist also confirmed that it looks great in person and is eye clean, so thats a huge plus.

Made the switch, will post pics of the final product when i get the ring from JA (hopefully in about 2 weeks). Happy I went with the higher color too as comparing face-up and side-by-side can totally tell the difference between H and I :twirl:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The I color looks better from the photos posted. :))

kt9b

Rough_Rock
I could see how would think that, but i would beg to differ on the side-by-side comparison :tongue:

H (new diamond)
screen_shot_2016-05-03_at_8.png

I (old diamond)
reference.png

For some reason the difference seems to be a bit more stark between the H & I as I would have imagined. I saw a few Hs and Is in-store and noticed the same thing. Perhaps I am more color sensitive than I previously thought...although I'm sure the difference is much less once mounted.

kt9b

Rough_Rock
Got the ring! JA delivered on time and the ring looks better than in the renderings. The diamond does seem to match up with idealscope images from what I can tell, but dont have a loupe so i cant see that si1 twinning wisp that you can see on the 20x. Definitely eye clean though! Also no crazy obstruction going on from what I can tell...was concerned due to the 34/40.6 CA/PAs but seems to have worked out well.

Took some photos today as promised with the ring in a DIY engagement box I carved out of walnut with genuine leather lining. Idea inspired by a design I found on etsy :). Much smaller than the clunky red box it came in.

Let me know your thoughts or if anything seems amiss. :twirl:

_dsc1093.jpg
_dsc1096.jpg
_dsc1097.jpg
_dsc1101.jpg
_dsc1102.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results