shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this shade of topaz expensive?

Newb2U

Shiny_Rock
Found out it's actually a spesartite garnet.

Newb2U

Shiny_Rock
BTW, out of interest, what metal is the ring setting made of please?

DK :))

It just 925 silver sorry I got back to yo so late,hasn't been giving notifications,I found out today that it's a spesartite garnet.

Newb2U

Shiny_Rock
I'm quite pleased finding out it's actually a valuable stone,I figured with how dark it is

Newb2U

Shiny_Rock
Smells like a troll post

Sorry thought I was being trolled with how in friendly the people who answered my question,was disconcerting

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hold on, you purchased from a vendor but you don't know what you bought? Or that you bought something that was advertised as topaz but turned out to be spessartite? Sorry but I'm confused.

I am sorry to say a spessartite with that colouration is very inexpensive. The valuable ones are super bright pure orange.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hold on, you purchased from a vendor but you don't know what you bought? Or that you bought something that was advertised as topaz but turned out to be spessartite? Sorry but I'm confused.

I am sorry to say a spessartite with that colouration is very inexpensive. The valuable ones are super bright pure orange.

It being a spess doen't make it more valuable. Spess garnet that color is extremely cheap.

Newb2U

Shiny_Rock
S
In your other post about this ring you described it as “Orange champagne topaz.”
Here you’ve described it as orange, “brownish gold imperial,” and now red. I’d advise you to stop worrying about color and value—I’m guessing you paid less than a hundred dollars for it, and to have a piece of jewelry one wears and loves for so little money is what makes it a good deal. Wear it and have fun!

Sorry,and valid point,I just find myself looking at it like a truly distinctive jewel ,found out it's actually a spesartite garnet,very pleased.And I do love it as much as one could love a piece of jewelry,here it is in sunlight.

Newb2U

Shiny_Rock

I got it from an antique dealer,for 89 dollars,he did not know what he had,I'd never have the money to buy one like this but the gods are good to me this day

Newb2U

Shiny_Rock
I got it from an antique dealer,for 89 dollars,he did not know what he had,I'd never have the money to buy one like this but the gods are good to me this day

Didn't even know what stone it could be.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it is antique, I don't think it is spessartie because the facet junctions will not hold up that well. I would expect to see some wear and tear but the condition looks too good.

The colouration reminds me more of almadine garnet. It was more popular long ago.

Newb2U

Shiny_Rock

If it is antique, I don't think it is spessartie because the facet junctions will not hold up that well. I would expect to see some wear and tear but the condition looks too good.

It's early 2000's

Newb2U

Shiny_Rock
It being a spess doen't make it more valuable. Spess garnet that color is extremely cheap.

It's actually more orange off camera,the camera shows too much black

W

westofhere

It’s worth less than you paid for it, but if you love it that makes it worth it.

Newb2U

Shiny_Rock
It's actually more orange off camera,the camera shows too much black

I'll buy a better camera just for this stuff tbh,mines like the cheapest phones camera

Newb2U

Shiny_Rock
It’s worth less than you paid for it, but if you love it that makes it worth it.

Very right,it's a museum piece to me,the guy I was talking to,older gentleman,said it was pleasing to the eye and that I did good,I think so too☺️I just like the spiritual side of gems

Newb2U

Shiny_Rock

This is a match for mine,mines around 5 carats,but Im sure it's worth around $150
I paid half that for nos so it's not a terrible deal,just not a lottery winner

W

westofhere

Just FYI, a good rule of thumb would be to pay no more than $50 for a sterling ring at antique store, thrift store, yard sale, etc. Sorry the seller took advantage of you.

Newb2U

Shiny_Rock
Very right,it's a museum piece to me,the guy I was talking to,older gentleman,said it was pleasing to the eye and that I did good,I think so too☺️I just like the spiritual side of gems

I meant its a museum piece "to me" by the way not saying it's an amazing stone or anything

Newb2U

Shiny_Rock
Just FYI, a good rule of thumb would be to pay no more than $50 for a sterling ring at antique store, thrift store, yard sale, etc. Sorry the seller took advantage of you.

Ya,he didn't tell me one of the rings I bought was cz I like the light of it but still bummed,paid only 30 for that one.

Newb2U

Shiny_Rock

Good rule,I could feel the truth

Newb2U

Shiny_Rock

The colouration reminds me more of almadine garnet. It was more popular long ago.

Interesting

Newb2U

Shiny_Rock

A quote.."sometimes almost black. Bright orange specimen, however, are the most highly prized. These orange colored stones are pure, while other colored stones have iron content, which changes the orange to a darker color. Faceted gemstones bring out the best color."

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A quote.."sometimes almost black. Bright orange specimen, however, are the most highly prized. These orange colored stones are pure, while other colored stones have iron content, which changes the orange to a darker color. Faceted gemstones bring out the best color."

Your stone is not "bright orange", sorry!

Yes to faceted gemstones bring out the best colour, however, there are different grades of cutting, and yours fall way short of being the best cut!

I cannot give false praises even if your stone turns out to be worth $$$ (and I seriously doubt if it does).

Enjoy wearing your ring, whatever it is worth.

DK :roll2:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems to me that you want to be told you’ve bought a very expensive gemstone for next to nothing. Do you know how many similar threads there are posted by people who know nothing about gemstones?

So here you go ….. you’ve bought an orange diamond that will make you a millionaire.

Newb2U

Shiny_Rock
It seems to me that you want to be told you’ve bought a very expensive gemstone for next to nothing. Do you know how many similar threads there are posted by people who know nothing about gemstones?

So here you go ….. you’ve bought an orange diamond that will make you a millionaire.

I'm the duke of Cambridge of course I'm a mill-i-anaiiire

Newb2U

Shiny_Rock
This is the stone in low natural light,so what do you guys think,final verdict,is it topaz or garnet.
I think it's topaz because of how hard it is,and ice polished it many times and the facets stayed sharp

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results