shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this shade of topaz expensive?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On Mohos scale garnet is between 7.5 and 8.5 and Topaz is 8 so they are very similar in terms of hardness.
The two tests that would enable you to conclusively identify the gemstone would be refractive index and specific gravity. However these tests require the gem to be “loose”. Specific gravity you could “do at home” with a quality scale but refractive index requires a specific instrument.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the stone in low natural light,so what do you guys think,final verdict,is it topaz or garnet.
I think it's topaz because of how hard it is,and ice polished it many times and the facets stayed sharp

I repeat, and it is the last time I shall post in this thread - I am not able to identify your stone based on photos and videos alone, sorry!

DK :wall:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And if the gem is garnet refractive index will also help you ascertain which variety/species. Another gemology tool that will help ascertain variety is a spectrometer.
Different varieties show different absorption pattern depending on their chemical composition. Pyrope red garnet shows strong absorption in the blue section due to the presence of Chromium in addition to Iron, whereas Aldamine garnet shows a 3 band iron absorption in the yellow green section of the spectrum. Spessartine Garnet shows absorption in the blue violet section due to magnesium however the refractive index of Spessartine garnet is over 1.805 which is a lot higher than that of Pyrope garnet.

Newb2U

Shiny_Rock
I repeat, and it is the last time I shall post in this thread - I am not able to identify your stone based on photos and videos alone, sorry!

DK :wall:

Ik sorry,it's just it changes color a great deal as well,red in interior lighting and orange outdoors

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results