shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this setting too low? Should I reset a little higher?

mco312

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hello,

I am wondering about setting my diamond a little higher. Here are some current photos, and a proposed diagram of what I would like to do.

image_1112.jpg

Here is the angle I think it looks a bit too low in:

fullsizerender__2__13.jpg
fullsizerender__2__14.jpg

Proposed height:

vatche_ring_gallery_culet.jpg

Thanks in advance.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't see how it could be set higher at this point. But I wouldn't set it as high as you are proposing if it could be set higher. I'd say 1mm higher at the max. But I would be afraid of the ring getting messed up. You can ask IDJ if it is even possible, though, and how much would it cost.

mco312

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi Diamondseeker,

I am told they would just add metal to the prongs and then set the diamond higher, and it wouldn't be noticeable. So it is possible, but I am a little nervous to have that kind of work done...

Do you think it would look best somewhere between where it is currently set, and where I am proposing? Or is it better to leave well enough alone?

Thanks for your input!

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Would it affect how a band would fit next to it?

I don't think it looks too low in general. (But I don't like rings up high, anyways.)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally think it looks perfect just the way it is. That setting lends itself to a 'swoopy' look and I think it is beautiful!

The culet is visible as it should be. If you set it higher, you are going to have a blank space under the diamond in the setting. I think that would look peculiar - almost like the setting doesn't fit the stone.

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is Vatche going to do the work? I think that you deserve to be completely happy with your ring and while I think it looks fine now, I also think it would be fine raising the diamond very slightly so that there is a small gap at the bottom. You have to love it and not settle. If the height is bothering you now, it probably won't get better over time, at least in my experience.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks perfect. I know some people like the stone set high to clear the culet or make the stone look bigger. But your ring has very nice proportions and I would leave it just as is.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think the cathedral shoulders will look right at all if you just add metal to the prongs to lift the stone.

OECrystal

Shiny_Rock
+1 for perfect as is.

Your ring is beautiful and the diamond looks huge on your finger! My concerns for changing the height of the diamond would be the same as what others have mentioned. I would also be concerned about the diamond knocking into or catching on things when it is set higher. Yours seems to be set at a perfect height for the diamond size and setting style.

Some questions to consider: Have you been wearing the ring for a while and had enough time to determine if you will be forever unhappy with it the way it is? Is the current height something you can learn to live with/get used to?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whether or not you should reset higher depends on your tastes. I would not. I prefer low-set rings both because I find them more aesthetically pleasing (less of the "wearing a doorknob" look) and because I bang them on stuff less often. But if you prefer it to be set higher... well, you are the one wearing the ring and looking at it all the time.

mco312

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your thoughtful input. This gives me a lot to think about.

Iwantsparkle, Here are photos of how a wedding band sits next to the setting as is. I believe a higher setting would accommodate a wider band.

kmarla, I think IDJ was proposing to do the work, but that's a good thing to think about in terms of warranty.

Current setting with wedding band:

img_6369.jpg

Old (higher) setting:

img_6368.jpg

Please ignore my nails. I am getting them redone tomorrow :oops:

These rings seem set higher but I wonder if that's because they are smaller diamonds...
img_6362.png
img_6361.png

Do you think this height would be ok?
perfect_height.jpg

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring needs to be pleasing to YOU. I know this is bugging you. For me, I much prefer the way yours is set over these others you posted.
You can see the bottom tip of your culet which is important to me, but these others settings I think look less pleasing because there is too much open space. They look like the stones are set too high. Just my opinion.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also like how it's set currently

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I think it's fine as-is, but if it's bugging you, work with the vendor/maker to find a solution. Messing with prongs can really wreck a ring, though, so I'd caution you to have insurance and an alternative. Honestly, getting a new setting might be better.

And one nitpicky pet peeve of mine from your diagram: it's culet (pronounced cue-let), not cutlet like a piece of meat. :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results