shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this setting too flat and a mistake?

Sydneylady123

Rough_Rock
Hi all, first time poster here.
I am having a split shank yellow diamond halo ring made.
I was provided with a sample image.
I asked for the CAD drawings.
I was provided with the top view but not the side.
I asked for the side view.
The next thing I know, the jeweller already had the ring made.
The centre stone is still to be added so it is unfinished.

Is the setting too flat?
Have added photos of the ring as it is now and also the example of the ring.

Screenshot_20200923-190241_Video Player.jpg Screenshot_20200923-190234_Video Player.jpg Screenshot_20200923-190222_Video Player.jpg IMG-20200820-WA0007.jpg

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you reattach the photos, they aren’t visible.

Sydneylady123

Rough_Rock
Thanks for letting me know! Are they visible now? :)

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
I really like it, actually. When you say, "too flat", is that because the shoulder is flush with the head, rather than being lower?

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
The inspiration photo from Bel Dia shows a double/waterfall halo. Did you want that on your ring? 6A7C1026-BC28-470C-B8FB-1CE94510CAF8.png I think I may have found a slightly clearer picture of your inspiration photo, which definitely shows a double/waterfall halo.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Is there a reason you were not given the side view when you requested it? Had you already given your okay on the CAD?

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
It's a pretty ring, but it certainly doesn't look like the inspiration photo @NicoleNeedsHelp just posted. I wouldn't settle for something that isn't exactly what you requested/wanted.

Sydneylady123

Rough_Rock
I really like it, actually. When you say, "too flat", is that because the shoulder is flush with the head, rather than being lower?

Yes exactly. Is there something about the setting that makes it look cheap because of this? Or will the yellow oval diamond look less attractive because of the setting?
This is my engagement/ wedding ring, my first ring ever so a big decision for me. :)

Sydneylady123

Rough_Rock
The inspiration photo from Bel Dia shows a double/waterfall halo. Did you want that on your ring? 6A7C1026-BC28-470C-B8FB-1CE94510CAF8.png I think I may have found a slightly clearer picture of your inspiration photo, which definitely shows a double/waterfall halo.

Thank you! This is another picture I have found after the setting was made. It is from the website that the inspiration was taken from.
The jeweller indicated that the setting was the same as what we had discussed (I.e. the inspiration picture). This proved him wrong.

Screenshot_20200924-015848_Chrome.jpg

Sydneylady123

Rough_Rock
Is there a reason you were not given the side view when you requested it? Had you already given your okay on the CAD?

There was some miscommunication between the jeweller and the person making the ring.
The jeweller presented me with the CAD drawing.
I asked "Is there a drawing from a different angle so I can see what the underside of the ring looks like"
They said "I will get this for you".

I asked for an update almost a week later as I hadn't heard back.
And they sent me the final a video of setting i.e. finished without the center yellow diamond.

I don't want to cost the jeweller money to remake the ring or not take the ring at the end if there is nothing about the final setting that says "cheap" or "ugly".

Last edited:

Sydneylady123

Rough_Rock
It's a pretty ring, but it certainly doesn't look like the inspiration photo @NicoleNeedsHelp just posted. I wouldn't settle for something that isn't exactly what you requested/wanted.

Thank you! I am starting to like it but I also want to ensure it doesn't look cheap or is sometbing that will make the diamond look unattractive or look weird on my (not tiny) hands.
Because this is for an elopement, it is impossible for me to ask any relatives (who are more used to purchasing jewellery).

Thank you!

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! I am starting to like it but I also want to ensure it doesn't look cheap or is sometbing that will make the diamond look unattractive or look weird on my (not tiny) hands.
Because this is for an elopement, it is impossible for me to ask any relatives (who are more used to purchasing jewellery).

Thank you!

The one thing I would say is that it might look more like a designer ring than an engagement ring, especially because of your yellow diamond. It reminds me of the David Yurman Albion setting, which is beautiful, but I don't think that's what you were trying to achieve with your design.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pretty sure this ring is a little different from the other ring with the yellow diamond that @Sydneylady123 posted...I'm really bad at describing things but the melee curve inward. The one with the yellow diamond curve upwards, more rounded. And the melee are set differently. The second one has channels.

@Sydneylady123, I'm not an expert but to my eye your ring is pretty close to the inspiration pic you posted. The only difference I can see is the metal of the sides comes up a bit higher on your ring but I don't think this would be that noticable IRL? And I don't think your ring looks cheap!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Yes exactly. Is there something about the setting that makes it look cheap because of this? Or will the yellow oval diamond look less attractive because of the setting?
This is my engagement/ wedding ring, my first ring ever so a big decision for me. :)

I have a split shank halo ring as well and I think the base or gallery could be raised a little. I'm concerned the diamond is going to be set really low like touching your finger. I don't think it will look cheap or less attractive but maybe more of a preference? If it's your forever ring then you would want it to be perfect from the start.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Hearing about these custom pieces with the customer's input cut short makes me think twice about commissioning anything in the first place. Maybe it's better to just pick something "off the shelf." At least that way, you do get to choose what you'll be getting - and most often paying far less for it, too.

I don't think you should accept this setting. It's clearly not what you wanted and your very reasonable question was ignored. Lack of communication between the jeweler and designer is not your fault.

Last edited:

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
to my eyes, i think the ring is pretty. but in the minutiae and details, it does not, closely enough, resemble the ring in your inspiration image.

the bel dia ring shows a double sided halo or waterfall halo and the jeweler's ring does not

this is a tough one ...

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
Hearing about these custom pieces with the customer's input cut short makes me think twice about commissioning anything in the first place. Maybe it's better to just pick something "off the shelf." At least that way, you do get to choose what you'll be getting - and most often paying far less for it, too.

I don't think you should accept this setting. It's clearly not what you wanted and your very reasonable question was ignored. Lack of communication between the jeweler and designer is not your fault.

custom pieces STRESS me out so much! communication is got to be stellar, short of that, problems occur... ive often wanted to have a diamond custom cut BUT i can't, voluntarily, subject myself, to that kind of stress...

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring doesn’t look cheap at all. It is stunning the way it is. It just depends on what fits your style the most and none of us can answer that question. For me, I love a waterfall/double edged halo. But, others don’t. I don’t think you could go wrong here. But, don‘t be afraid to speak up if it is not what you wanted. Yes, they will have to make a new ring, but they can reuse the metal and diamonds. Most jewelers will want to make you happy and to make sure that you are a repeat customer.

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring doesn’t look cheap at all. It is stunning the way it is. It just depends on what fits your style the most and none of us can answer that question. For me, I love a waterfall/double edged halo. But, others don’t. I don’t think you could go wrong here. But, don‘t be afraid to speak up if it is not what you wanted. Yes, they will have to make a new ring, but they can reuse the metal and diamonds. Most jewelers will want to make you happy and to make sure that you are a repeat customer.

Also, a big tip so you don’t repeat my mistake. I had my engagement ring re-done and I didn‘t love the outcome, but thought I could get used to it. Well, I wore it for about a month and decided that I didn’t want to keep it. But, because it was now used, the jeweler could not sell the setting as new. Right now, your jeweler could sell that setting as new to someone else and make you a new ring and not lose any money. That all changes when you wear it.

Sydneylady123

Rough_Rock
Thank you all!
In some ways, I feel better about the ring. My main reason for concern is that it may look cheap without the cathedral setting and the shoulder is flush with the head.
I have asked that the yellow diamond is elevated at least a little so it doesn't look too flat.

And yes definitely not a typical engagement ring but I really wanted something a little different and a yellow diamond - reminds me of sunshine :)

The bel dia ring was not our inspiration for the setting. But it is gorgeous.

I have also just asked them to not add an inscription as I initially requested. So they can sell the ring if I don't purchase it as suggested. It would mean I lose my 10% deposit I think so I'm hoping it just all works out. Also because I really like the jeweller and his wife - it is a family owned business.

Thanks everyone. The ring will be ready in 2 weeks so will post updated photos then.

Although I said this would be my one and done ring, I now already have some ideas for a 10-year anniversary ring from browsing the forums. LOVE the ones on Diamonds By Lauren!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
so very glad you feel better. it does not look "cheap" at all. it is actually quite pretty

sorry for assuming the bel dia ring was your inspiration ring, as it was within your posting.

i think color diamonds are so beautiful and very unique.

eager to see the finished ring on your hand! until then, cheers to you and your new sunshine diamond ring!

Sydneylady123

Rough_Rock
IMG-20201006-WA0009.jpg

UPDATE: Haven't received it yet but this is what it apparently looks like. Not sure if the middle diamond is floating or if it just appears this way, will find out on the weekend!

Any thoughts or concerns? :)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thank you!

I promise you from what i can see it does not look cheap or ugly
nothing will look weird
I like the lower look
but the only person's opinion that really counts is yours

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
from the image, it is BEAUTIFUL!!!

once you get it, post lots of images in sunlight. be sure to assess it in as many lighting conditions as you can manage

super thrilled for you!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks lovely, I'm guessing just the angle of the photo shows the "airline" gap between the stone and the halo. Probably not as obvious in real life once on your finger!

Sydneylady123

Rough_Rock
20201120_223237.jpg 20201120_223212.jpg 20201120_222916.jpg

Sorry this is so late! Updated pictures attached. Unsure if I will change this to a cathedral setting to make the halo & center diamond look bigger in the future.

Any thoughts? :)

Would you change the setting?

I do like it for now, unsure if I would like it MORE if it was changed a little. No rush on this though for me :)

Thanks everyone! :)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
20201120_223237.jpg 20201120_223212.jpg 20201120_222916.jpg

Sorry this is so late! Updated pictures attached. Unsure if I will change this to a cathedral setting to make the halo & center diamond look bigger in the future.

Any thoughts? :)

Would you change the setting?

I do like it for now, unsure if I would like it MORE if it was changed a little. No rush on this though for me :)

Thanks everyone! :)

Its perfect just as it is :appl: :appl: :appl:

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
I love it! I think you will really appreciate the lower profile over time. The rings I wear the most are the ones that are "flatter" and more comfortable. Gorgeous! Enjoy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results