shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this setting price too good?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kim-h

Rough_Rock
Hi!
I recently purchased a nice stone from affordable diamonds online(thanks Duane) and am looking for a setting.
An independant jeweler in Houston quoted me 1650 for a wedding set.

4 round stones prong set in platinum 950, each 10 points, with matching band of 6 stones, 10 points each, H color, I don''t remember the clarity.

So in effect, a 5 stone ring(with my center stone) and 6 stone band.
My main question, this is cheaper than comparable sets I have found online and in a few other B & M stores, so is it possible? My fiance is very skeptical and thinks it is too good of a price.
Can anyone give me some help?
Thanks!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think it sounds completely out of line with what an average price would be though it is a little low..what is the difference between competitive sites and B&M's...you said this set was cheaper? Is the difference much or just a few hundred? If its just a few hundred then I wouldn't worry too much....but if its something like $1k then maybe you want to ask the jeweler why he wants to give you the setting for so low? I wouldn't hesitate to ask, he's already priced it out for you so he can't raise the price if you ask. Maybe he was planning on selling it to someone else and they backed out and now he just wants to recover some of the money and get it off his hands. Or maybe it's not of the best quality platinum or ? There could be many reasons the price is lower.

Or maybe it's just a spectacular deal! Do you feel comfortable with this jeweler? Would he be comfortable letting you take the set to an appraiser to get their opinion on the metal and stone quality? I would purchase the set if you like it, and take it to have it appraised.

Good luck!

kim-h

Rough_Rock
Thanks Mara, for your response.
I did tell her I would be taking the setting to an appraiser, so I think the price must just be very competitive. She is ordering the setting, actually, and setting her diamonds in it once I approve it. Her price is 1650, and I've seen some for 2200, and up.
Thanks again,
Kimh

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results